Special Hobby Dornier Do-27A-1, Portuguese AF, 1/72nd scale...

John Masters

I'll throw my hat into the ring with this neat looking kit from Special Hobby, one of two (or more?) Dornier Do-27 kits they offer.  I have the other one also.  This will be the Portuguese aircraft from Sintra Air Base, in the early 2000s.  AS usual; OOB, I hpe.

The box art is nice and shows an Israeli bird...

51421624686_ec7f225024_c_d.jpg

The sprue is nice too.  Crisply moulded, superb detail.  Nice plastic for sure.  Nice clear glass which I get to mess up.  I'll try not to.

51421877883_23fcff78e6_c_d.jpg

As assortment of decals.  Israeli as well as SAAF.  But as I don't have any Portuguese aircraft in the cabinets, I'll go for this one.

51420877297_38db7bd465_c_d.jpg

This is it.  Nice looking camo.  

51420877287_783790e5c2_k_d.jpg

I'll delve in later.  

--John

• Like 9

This is an awfully nice kit.  The plastic is high quality and the fit reminds me very much of some of the better Eduard kits, the new Spitfire for instance.  Very nice.

This kind of kit just begs me to take little extra care wit the build.  The Airfix Skymaster it is not (not that there is anything wrong with the kit, but if you have built it, you know...😉)

The cockpit is a combination of the usual suspects and the plans are very specific as to what kind of seating goes in which aircraft.  Mine is plan 'F' and this is what it gets.  The interior colour is noted as 'Grey' so I am sticking with primer for this.  The finished piece looks a little pink  It's not.  Reflective optical greys.  I'll try to get a better image tomorrow during daylight.  There are  other colors in there.  Little red button.

51422800060_87e12a3864_c_d.jpg

The IP is very nice and the decal fits snugly.  I chose grey for the panel as well (black was the other option) purely because the dials look better.

I gave it some solvent and varnish when it had dried.

51422577159_1b9c601399_c_d.jpg

The nose is good and I didn't photograph the motor for some reason.  Nicely moulded.  And...there are mounting pins for the two halves!  Wonderful!

51422800055_d5aac7e46b_c_d.jpg

That's it for tonight!

--John

• Like 8

Very nice choice John.

I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while so I am very interested to see how you get on with it, very good so far by the look of things.

If I am not mistaken (always possible) at least some of the Portuguese Do-27's were ex-Luftwaffe which would explain the colours of your choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

at least some of the Portuguese Do-27's were ex-Luftwaffe which would explain the colours of your choice.

You're right Craig.  In fact, I think they all were ex-Luftwaffe.  One of the Israeli aircraft retains the darker Luftwaffe camo.  Most eventually were overpainted.

I like the modern Luftwaffe colour scheme.  

51423386559_05810c845b_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

The cockpit is in the fuselage half.  There are a coulee pf holes to drill before you close it up on my version, so be watchful of the plans.  Nice lightening holes.

51424208563_49e297f5ea_c_d.jpg

I decided to give the interior some pin washing to bring out the detail inside.  I am not sure how much will be seen, but it might be worth it.

51423954261_306b8dbc32_c_d.jpg

All buttoned up and looking nice.  The seams are very small.  No gaps.  Nicely engineered kit for sure.

51424718884_30832501d3_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think that we could do with an aftermarket sheet for some nice African military users of these Martin.

Absolutely, Craig :), although there wasn’t many. The effort would be better spent on African Broussards in anticipation of a kit ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

this boxing and the Luftwaffe/Belgian/Spanish one.

I have that one too.  

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I’m pleased to see that you resisted the Israeli scheme 🥱 

Thanks!  I agree.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 9:31 PM, modelling minion said:

You're making me very glad that I hit the "buy" button John, very neat work.

Thanks Craig, and I am back at the bench after a good few days off-island, the first time since last September.  Some much needed r'n'r...

I have attached the wing and the undercarriage and the air vent.  All is smooth and easy except if you look carefully at the undercarriage you'll see a sink mark.  That is duplicated on the other leg too, so I'll fill them in later with a dob of goop.

51446691603_68dd43001b_c_d.jpg

If I have an Achille's Heel it is my work with clear parts and masking them.  This time I tried something new.  I covered the whole piece with tape, then used a very sharp new pointed blade to carefully cut away what is not needed.  I am pleased with this technique and it took the same amount of energy as 'measure and cut'.

51445693872_b371d944ea_c_d.jpg

Not perfect, but I can straighten those edges a bit.  Certainly better than my other attempts!  I masked both the inside and outside of the doors because there is a 'door open' option in the plans.  I like the static, 'at the airshow' display mode sometimes.  "Doors open" it shall be...

51445693772_453e8c2c1f_c_d.jpg

51445693577_1cd6943a89_c_d.jpg

Here's some detail.  I'll have to drill tiny holes through these radio bubbles to fit a wire through.  

51446452241_0defd1f6a6_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

If I have an Achille's Heel it is my work with clear parts and masking them.  This time I tried something new.  I covered the whole piece with tape, then used a very sharp new pointed blade to carefully cut away what is not needed.  I am pleased with this technique and it took the same amount of energy as 'measure and cut'.

Careful John, Ive done that before and found certain glues wick up really fast under the tape. Only to find after the reveal that the clear piece is fogged or crazed. 

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I could be tempted ;)

Thanks!  I have to get back to her this evening.  I have been otherwise occupied...

On 9/11/2021 at 9:42 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Careful John, Ive done that before and found certain glues wick up really fast under the tape. Only to find after the reveal that the clear piece is fogged or crazed. 

Thanks Dennis.  I'll be careful!

On 9/11/2021 at 6:32 PM, modelling minion said:

Taking shape very nicely indeed John.

Thanks Craig!  

• Like 2

Some of the glass went in.  I used Revell Contact.  It dries slowly.  

51484022008_ecb6b980e5_c_d.jpg

I added the little exterior pieces, mostly having to do with radar and communications...some fun drilling...

These need little holes....

51483804086_037801745d_c_d.jpg

So I did that.  Very carefully.

51484524829_be33e570f9_c_d.jpg

Added the aura bubble, glued the little ears on, added the step and what will be a green light underneath.  I may replace that with something clear.

51483021117_f260d3b32e_c_d.jpg

51484524944_824c982652_c_d.jpg

So...I am almost ready to fill the interior with foam and give it some primer.  

--John

• Like 7

I used a US Light Ghost Grey for the underside, and have masked that off.  The two remaining colours are a Yellow Olive (I have it!) and a Basalt Grey, which I will have to figure out.  The colour profile makes it look more like Faded PRU Blue, while the online comparison say Intermediate Blue.  Hmmmm....Somewhere in the middle?

51515797270_ea2f573847_c_d.jpg

51515797110_04b275a3b1_c_d.jpg

Intermediate Blue...looks too dark.

51515091738_162dab888e_c_d.jpg

With a little PRU mixed in, 1:1...this is closer to the profile.  

51515797285_980b0343e7_c_d.jpg

Could someone knowledgable about the post-WW2 Luftwaffe please chime in?  I'm laying down the blue first, so I will wait until I have at least two other opinions to back me up.

--John

• Like 3