The Bargain Basement Bonanza! (Now with relaxed rules)

Dansk

This is an idea for a GB stolen from following in the footsteps of ‘less than tenner’.

Any kit that you have bought that is considered a ‘bargain.’ :2c:

‘Bargain’ is a loose term but if we say 50% or lower of its RRP (or if you buy it used out of production, then 50% of the price of other second hand ebay buys of the same kit for example) then i think we can safely say that fits.

The builder should show evidence for his/her bargain.

This rule has been relaxed its too serious. This is model building not a court case 😄

Extras: Let’s say you paid the going rate for a kit but you got a kings ransom of aftermarket included that could also constitute a bargain.

Gifts and freebies don’t count.

Bonus points for monumental savings and bonus points for an interesting story behind the buy.

This is gonna be a feel-good build 😊 

any takers?

@Dansk (me) although i need to find a bargain!

@Marklo

@helios16v

@zebra

@JOCKNEY
@ArnoldAmbrose

@Ray S

@2996 Victor

Edited by Dansk

3 hours ago, Rodders154 said:

If you buy a kit from a mate at a bargain price you wont have a receipt so how do you prove it was a bargain?

Rodders

You can’t. So its not eligible

in my post it said the builder should show evidence.

Edited by Dansk

Gidday, I have two Tamiya kits of Japanese cruisers in 1/350 (not my usual scale), IJN Mikuma and IJN Tone. They retailed here for $169.99Aus but I got them at a closing down sale a few years ago at 60% off. But I can't prove it. Sorry. Regards, Jeff.

12 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I have two Tamiya kits of Japanese cruisers in 1/350 (not my usual scale), IJN Mikuma and IJN Tone. They retailed here for $169.99Aus but I got them at a closing down sale a few years ago at 60% off. But I can't prove it. Sorry. Regards, Jeff.

maybe we should forget that proving clause. 
this should be fun and relaxed, we dont want to take things too seriously.

Let’s say it’s ok. I’ll change the rules. B)

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Sign me up. I have a nice 1/48 Ansaldo that cost me a €5 and many second hand 1/144 scale jets as well as  SMER and a Glencoe Albatri that would all fit the bill. 

thanks mark you’re in 👍

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Does that mean we should add you to the list? :wicked:

Sure...I'm all about the bargins.  I bet almost half my stash was purchased at 50% or less.  The limiting factor for kits for me is going to be which ones still have price stickers on them or which ones I can find receipts for.  I'm sure there are several options though.

36 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Sure...I'm all about the bargins.  I bet almost half my stash was purchased at 50% or less.  The limiting factor for kits for me is going to be which ones still have price stickers on them or which ones I can find receipts for.  I'm sure there are several options though.

Dont worry about that, i changed the rules see above….

I think the rule change is a good one - lack of evidence was going to kill off most of mine! But I'm in with an Anigrand 1/72 Boeing YC-14 which I bought from a Facebook buy/sell group for $50 AUD which is about 20% of the Hannants list price (I think one of the reasons I got it so cheap is it was listed as 1/144 - I think the seller made a mistake - although from the size and weight of the box surely nobody could think it was 1/144!). There's also a Welsh Models 1/72 Embraer 145 that I got for $20 on ebay because nobody else bid on it.

I found some Revell Blohm and Voss BV222 flying boats on a website a while back for £14 including postage each, it would have been just plain rude not to have bought 1 so I got 2 instead !

So put me down for one of these, l work out where I'm going to put it later !

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

• Dansk changed the title to The Bargain Basement Bonanza! (Now with relaxed rules)
On 9/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, Rodders154 said:

If you buy a kit from a mate at a bargain price you wont have a receipt so how do you prove it was a bargain?

Rodders

Rule change rodders it was too serious.

9 hours ago, zebra said:

I think the rule change is a good one - lack of evidence was going to kill off most of mine! But I'm in with an Anigrand 1/72 Boeing YC-14 which I bought from a Facebook buy/sell group for $50 AUD which is about 20% of the Hannants list price (I think one of the reasons I got it so cheap is it was listed as 1/144 - I think the seller made a mistake - although from the size and weight of the box surely nobody could think it was 1/144!). There's also a Welsh Models 1/72 Embraer 145 that I got for $20 on ebay because nobody else bid on it.

both brilliant. Great 👍 

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I found some Revell Blohm and Voss BV222 flying boats on a website a while back for £14 including postage each, it would have been just plain rude not to have bought 1 so I got 2 instead !

So put me down for one of these, l work out where I'm going to put it later !

Cheers Pat 

nice! This is turning out to be a feel good thread 

• Like 1

Gidday, further to my post above I have two other contenders, ICM's 1/350 scale kits of the WW1 German battleships Konig and Kronprinz. A few years ago at a model show here (WASMEx) I saw four of them marked at "50% off marked price". The marked price was $58.00 Aus, which was in itself a bargain. So I bought one for $29.00 Aus. I've seen them in the shops here for between $90 and $120. So I think that $29 qualifies as a bargain. The following year we were again at the show (it's an annual event, barring Covid) and my son sent me a text to the effect that "The others are still here, same deal". He then timed me. I made it inside 20 seconds!😁 If the GB goes ahead I think I'll do one of those rather than the IJN cruisers, as they're a bit simpler.

So please put me down as a participant. Thanks. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, further to my post above I have two other contenders, ICM's 1/350 scale kits of the WW1 German battleships Konig and Kronprinz. A few years ago at a model show here (WASMEx) I saw four of them marked at "50% off marked price". The marked price was $58.00 Aus, which was in itself a bargain. So I bought one for $29.00 Aus. I've seen them in the shops here for between $90 and $120. So I think that $29 qualifies as a bargain. The following year we were again at the show (it's an annual event, barring Covid) and my son sent me a text to the effect that "The others are still here, same deal". He then timed me. I made it inside 20 seconds!😁 If the GB goes ahead I think I'll do one of those rather than the IJN cruisers, as they're a bit simpler.

Nice choice Jeff. I have the Markgraf version, but mine was not a bargain like yours so cannot do it (it cost me £30 about ten years ago), and I have a full etch set for it.

I do have stuff in the stash which would qualify so please count me in! I will check through my kits later and let you know what I may chose to do (subject to change!)

Ray

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

4 hours ago, Ray S said:

Nice choice Jeff. I have the Markgraf version, but mine was not a bargain like yours so cannot do it (it cost me £30 about ten years ago), and I have a full etch set for it.

I do have stuff in the stash which would qualify so please count me in! I will check through my kits later and let you know what I may chose to do (subject to change!)

Ray

Youre both in fellas 👍

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Dansk,

Sign me up, please! I've got four new Airfix P-51D Mustangs that I bought from Amazon at £2.54 each - one of those should do! Are we allowed free reign with aftermarket goodies?

Cheers,

Mark

Sounds good mark

yes let’s say we can do anything we like with our bargain (s)

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Sounds good mark

yes let’s say we can do anything we like with our bargain (s)

Brilliant, thanks! I'm thinking mainly of a Yahu IP, some etched belts and some AM decals, possibly Swedish, so nothing extravagant! :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

I definitely enjoy taking an older kit that was picked up on the cheap, throw a few parts at it and end up w/ a pretty nice model at a significantly lower price point than a new release.  My F-4F I'm building in the F-4 STGB is along those lines.  I think I picked it up for $20-25 at a show a couple years ago...hell, maybe 3 by now.  Adding some exhausts that are effectively parts bin (Academy plastic leftovers since the Eduard kit has resin ones), metal pitot, and some resin wheels and intake/FOD covers.  As long as we aren't counting paints costs (converting to MRP for exterior paints), I'm probably sitting just over half the cost of a new Z-M kit...and 40% the cost of a new Tamiya.  The show deals pre-lockdown definitely help the bottom end though.  It's certainly tougher to find those kind of deals out there now.

I'm actually going to be building a Z-M F-4EJ Kai alongside it, so I'll be able to have a first hand comparison between the 2.  Should be fun.

I've got plenty more in the stash to pick from when the time comes.

• Like 1

some of mine start as bargain buy's .... but soon escalate out of control once I go AM shopping!!!  Plus some of what I consider "bargain buys" would probably scare the pants off most people!! :whistle:

• Haha 1

Just nabbed a pair of F-104Js (1/48 Hasegawa) this weekend for $15 ea.  :penguin:

I really didn't need more F-104s...but I couldn't resist the price.  And it'll give me an excuse to use up a more of the decals out of the Eduard Eiko boxing (so many cool schemes).

• Like 1