The other Tim's 1/48 Monogram F-4D Phantom II - modelled as 65-0721 of 493rd TFS, 48 TFW RAF Lakenheath UK, 1976

Tim Moff

5 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

On the photo refs there’s little sign of all the stencils during this time period - some of the earlier LN pics do show them …. Any thoughts ?

Looking at the two photo’s in the early posts of your thread. It seems the bulk of the stencils are around the cockpit and possibly belly of the aircraft. The others look to be mostly gone except for the big white one near the port stabilator. 

• Thanks 1

Getting there - just waiting on some stencils for port side below canopy....will not add the others as they do not seem to be present...

Need to paint the yellow patch on nose wheel door for the serial number

UilU9ud.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATExAG

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more done with the decals /stencils, gloss cote to seal in, then onto weathering.

with raised panel lines I’ve decided to use Florey wash only and to remove it but leaving some in heavier weathered areas…

IMG_0222.HEIC

IMG_0235.HEIC

FullSizeRender(8).jpg

IMG_0244.HEIC

FullSizeRender(11).jpg

FullSizeRender(9).jpg

IMG_0241.HEIC

IMG_0243.HEIC

Getting the SUU-21s done, will need a bit of filler, primer and white paint.

FullSizeRender(7).jpg

• Like 4

Final stages with 36hrs to go!!

Putting a semi gloss finish on as it did not look like the airframes were totally dull mat....

Put the primer on the SUU-21s, so really its now about getting them done, a bit of weathering and then final assembly...

Hopefully done in time!

FullSizeRender(16).jpg

FullSizeRender(17).jpg

FullSizeRender(15).jpg

IMG_0326.HEIC

IMG_0327.HEIC

• Like 6

Bit of a rush, but all done...

FullSizeRender(33).jpg

FullSizeRender(42).jpg

FullSizeRender(39).jpg

The line down the nose is some sort of optical illusion/light issue...its now dark so can't get any extra pics taken....

FullSizeRender(34).jpg

FullSizeRender(44).jpg

Have improved a bit I feel after coming back to the hobby in 2014 after a break whilst I spent 26 years serving Her Majesty's finest, the Parachute Regiment...!!!

0MZB46B.jpg

FullSizeRender(38).jpg

Thanks for all the help along the way.....

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

Sorry for jumping in on this post 6 months or more too late!

I have recently come back to the hobby and I'm currently building an F-4D and I have the LN decal sheet.

I bought a bottle of MRP-390 which is SAC Bomber Green (FS34159) and I believed this was the actual colour that the Lakenheath F-4s were painted for thier tripple green camo.

I tried it and it looks perhaps a bit dark so I stumped fpr MRP-415 Hairyokushoku (Greenish Gray) which looks better but not right either!

Now Tim!  You have nailed it!

So mor MRP paints for me! or just go with one of the other greens!

Anyway whatever I choose, one thing for sure - I won't get anything like your standard of finish!!

What an awesome looking model!  - I realy do have quite a journey ahead of me!

Cheers 

MZ

13 hours ago, ManixZero said:

Sorry for jumping in on this post 6 months or more too late!

I have recently come back to the hobby and I'm currently building an F-4D and I have the LN decal sheet.

I bought a bottle of MRP-390 which is SAC Bomber Green (FS34159) and I believed this was the actual colour that the Lakenheath F-4s were painted for thier tripple green camo.

I tried it and it looks perhaps a bit dark so I stumped fpr MRP-415 Hairyokushoku (Greenish Gray) which looks better but not right either!

Now Tim!  You have nailed it!

So mor MRP paints for me! or just go with one of the other greens!

Anyway whatever I choose, one thing for sure - I won't get anything like your standard of finish!!

What an awesome looking model!  - I realy do have quite a journey ahead of me!

Cheers 

MZ

Thanks 

I used a 4:1 Ratio of RAF Sky MRP-118 and MRP -389 the actual colour noted on the decal instructions was Tan FS30219.

maybe try mixing things until you get what you want and you’re happy with.

I grew up in Lakenheath so enjoy building models from the base. 

good luck with the build