72modeler

The Blue Angels first C-130, Fat Albert, was retired in 2019 to Joint Base Fort Worth, to be used for training. Its replacement, a C-130J, has just made its first airshow appearance. I got to see the original make its famous JATO-powered short takeoff and steep climb-out three different times, but this was discontinued after the supply of JATO bottles was exhausted. Guess the 'new' Fat Albert has dual citizenship, as explained in the second link! Herks forever!

Mike

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28186/blue-angels-have-retired-their-beloved-c-130-fat-albert-transport-without-replacement

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/34507/here-is-our-first-look-at-the-blue-angels-new-fat-albert-c-130j-in-all-its-glory

I think they should have painted the Blue Angels livery on one side, and the RAF livery on the other.

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

the RAF livery on the oth

Good idea :D

or better the all so popular Union Jack!

After all the aircraft were retired prematurely...  

they could do do as well on some portion of the Marines Harriers.... by the way!

Wonder who will buy the E-3Ds! :devil:

Eurofighter Twins were mostly scratched after only some 10-15 years in service.

... is there a pattern???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Eurofighter Twins were mostly scratched after only some 10-15 years in service.

I’m sure the Red Arrows would love them to replace the Hawks. Already based with active Typhoons, airframe still in production. Strip them out of war like stuff and derate the engines, would still be a great performer.

Or is that too simple?

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1