Chipmunk Seatbelt Colour

Martian

I have the Kits World 3D interior set for the new Airfix Chipmunk. The seatbelts are a green colour according to Mrs Martian (my colour perception is very poor). However, blue is one colour I am not too bad with and when I was doing Air Experience flying with the Air Training Corps, circa 1975/76 I seem to remember that the seatbelts were blue. The aircraft were with No. 6 Air Experience Flight (Oxford University Air Squadron) and based at RAF Abingdon.

Can anyone either confirm my memories or, alternatively tell me I am talking rubbish (No change there I hear from the cheap seats!) either will do as I just want to get my model right.

Thanks in advance.

Muddled of Mars 👽

I think you're right. Various photos and references I have seem to indicate a dark blue or blue grey when faded with bright blue (anodised?) metal buckles.

But I'm sure others who've flown in the real thing will confirm. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, noelh said:

I think you're right. Various photos and references I have seem to indicate a dark blue or blue grey when faded with bright blue (anodised?) metal buckles.

But I'm sure others who've flown in the real thing will confirm. 

Thanks, I haven't quite lost all of my marbles just yet!

Relieved of Mars 👽

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, noelh said:

It sounds more poetic in French, (doesn't everything?) "écureuil" 🐿️

Does it sound better to a French speaker though?  I've often wondered - some people find French very attractive "the language of love".  How the French themselves feel about it? :hmmm:

• Like 2

Another vote for blue for the seat harnesses and buff for the parachute, I recall being briefed very firmly about which buckles to undo in the event of needing to carry out an emergency egress!

• Thanks 1

When I was in the ATC in the 1960s, the seat belts were a fairly bright blue.  Humbrol do, or did, a paint called WW1 Blue and this was a close match to it.  The circular quick release was pale gold in colour.  The colour tended to wear off revealing a dull silver colour underneath.  The whole interior of the aircraft was matt black.

The parachute harness was a slightly greyish light brown colour, the canvas parts were a light khaki brown and the quick release box was black.  We were repeatedly warned that, if the lower straps and cords were not assembled correctly, baling out would result in a sudden change of sex.  We flew in our ordinary battledress uniforms but had to leave the beret on the ground.

I hope this catalogue of trivial detail is of some use.

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Some nut?

You walked straight into that one Mike!

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Does it sound better to a French speaker though?  I've often wondered - some people find French very attractive "the language of love".  How the French themselves feel about it? :hmmm:

In my experience, they don't talk about it, they just get on with it or was I just going with the wrong  right sort of girl?

46 minutes ago, Wez said:

Another vote for blue for the seat harnesses and buff for the parachute, I recall being briefed very firmly about which buckles to undo in the event of needing to carry out an emergency egress!

I recall the briefing video. The first time I saw it, I walked out to the aircraft, not wondering whether I was going to die but how!

43 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

They were blue, but wear items do get replaced.

This is very true but it seems that blue wins the vote by a landslide. I now have to hope that I have some Eduard RAF Late Type seatbelts in stock. I bet I haven't.

Martian 👽

Martian 

38 minutes ago, NORTHDUK said:

We were repeatedly warned that, if the lower straps and cords were not assembled correctly, baling out would result in a sudden change of sex. 

Perhaps it was just as well that we had someone checking everything was correctly assembled as after that distracting film, I am pretty sure that had we had to leave the aircraft in a hurry, you would indeed be talking to Miss Martian now.

Thankfully Mr Martian 👽

6 minutes ago, Martian said:

You walked straight into that one Mike!

Martian 👽

Martian 

In my defense, couldn't resist. How often do you get a perfect straightman line like that. There I said and dang proud of it. I shall now retire to the naughty corner once again.:pilot:

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

In my defense, couldn't resist. How often do you get a perfect straightman line like that. There I said and dang proud of it. I shall now retire to the naughty corner once again.:pilot:

I think the rest of us would have been grievously offended if you had resisted. This probably counts as time off of your sentence for good behaviour.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2