Phantom Musings (Build #1) - Oceanic JASDF F-4EJ Kai

helios16v

A little more slow progress.  insides of the intakes are painted & masked.  Also got the fuselage behind the intakes painted (& the backs of the intakes) where the paint will have a hard time reaching after assembly.

51644836467_28de039498_c.jpg

• Like 8

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she is coming along nicely.....I should really drag out my one and fix up the decals.......another build for the KUTA GB.....gosh I'm going to be busy in that build!

That's ok Rich, I'm pretty sure both of the F-4s will be there as well.  At least the F-4F.  I'd still like to try to get this one done by the end of the year.

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking very good Chris, I have been tempted by these long nosed ZM Phantoms so I have just bought the early F-4E kit.  :nod:

I think you'll like it.  Lots of detail.  I suspect things may be a little more fiddly than the Tamiya, but not really anything that a bunch of test fitting as I go wasn't able to surmount.

I might have a "couple" more in the stash.....:rofl2:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

Good to see you moving this one forward Chris :) 

Inching along.  Work is being a major time suck right now so I've only been able to find a couple hours a week the past 3-4 weeks.  Unfortunately it's not going to be letting up until probably the end of the month.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, helios16v said:

I think you'll like it.  Lots of detail.  I suspect things may be a little more fiddly than the Tamiya, but not really anything that a bunch of test fitting as I go wasn't able to surmount.

It looks  a nice kit, big improvement on the old Hasegawa kit.  Since I have been the sold on Quinta 3D cockpit decals I got a set for this kit along with some Aeromaster decals for Vietnam war F-4E's, Korat based machines with JJ or JV tail codes.  Weapon loadout will probably be a pair of Bullpup C missiles on the inboards, not sure what to put on the other pylons, a photo of of an F-4E with Bullpups shows empty MER's on the outboard pylons but you cannot see the centreline store.  

Looking forward to getting a slatted E and the G model, they will be finished as a pair of Spangdalem Wild Weasel hunter killers from the mid 80s. :happy:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking forward to getting a slatted E and the G model, they will be finished as a pair of Spangdalem Wild Weasel hunter killers from the mid 80s.

Ooh, the best looking pair of hunter killers ever! A real favourite pairing of mine, Europe one colour scheme I assume Bob?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ooh, the best looking pair of hunter killers ever! A real favourite pairing of mine, Europe one colour scheme I assume Bob?

Indeed, Europe One from 1985, a pair of these phabulous Phantoms were at most air shows in East Anglia during the 80s, I have lots of detail photos, one day I must get them digitised from 35mm film.

I have the Milspec decals for them, they were going to be used on a pair Hasegawa kits but the ZM ones are so much better.  :winkgrin:

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It looks  a nice kit, big improvement on the old Hasegawa kit.  Since I have been the sold on Quinta 3D cockpit decals I got a set for this kit along with some Aeromaster decals for Vietnam war F-4E's, Korat based machines with JJ or JV tail codes.  Weapon loadout will probably be a pair of Bullpup C missiles on the inboards, not sure what to put on the other pylons, a photo of of an F-4E with Bullpups shows empty MER's on the outboard pylons but you cannot see the centreline store.  

Looking forward to getting a slatted E and the G model, they will be finished as a pair of Spangdalem Wild Weasel hunter killers from the mid 80s. :happy:

Awesome.  I've got an Academy C that will by my USAF Vietnam bird (and a set of the Op Bolo decals from Fundekals) and a Hase F-4G slated for a Spang build in Euro1 Wrap.

• Like 3

I've been playing around with the fit of the intakes of mine and I reckon I might be able to complete all the painting before fitting the intakes.

They are almost perfect fitting now, some careful test fitting and adjusting and it should work.

Will be a first for any model I've build, and make the paining soooo much easier, Phantom intakes can be painful to paint properly.

Did someone mention  a Tamiya F-4E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :frantic:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gidge said:

Coming along nicely. I may reach out to pick your brains here and there for my build

Thanks.  Feel free anytime.  One thing to watch for is placement of I think a circuit breaker panel on the port aft cockpit wall.  It was a snug fit w/ the cockpit, and initially gave me some fit issues trying to close up the forward fuselage.  Once I caught the interference and relocated the part slightly it all fit like a glove.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely not going to make the deadline finish...but she will make the finish line.  I'll be continuing the build and updating here as I go if anyone has any interest.  I intend to finish this one by the year end as it's also being built for a twin engine build for the local club.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Definitely interested in watching the rest of this build come together Chris, glad that you are going to carry on and finish her.

It's too sexy of a beast not too!  I just wish I wasn't working 60+ hours a week right now so I had more time to finish it.  :(

But hey, all the overtime paid for a couple Z-M Ds (and then some).  :rofl2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 3:28 AM, helios16v said:

It's too sexy of a beast not too!  I just wish I wasn't working 60+ hours a week right now so I had more time to finish it.  :(

But hey, all the overtime paid for a couple Z-M Ds (and then some).  :rofl2:

haha....you would have bought them without without the OT.... joy admit you have a "Phantom Problem" :rofl2:, says he who's already planning to buy another Tomcat..... or 2! :D

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

..admit you have a "Phantom Problem" :rofl2:, says he who's already planning to buy another Tomcat..... or 2! :D

In the best traditions of 'It takes one to know one' :lol:  

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Another update today (duplicate of KUTA posting). 

Since the weather has turned nasty and any spray painting has entered the holding pattern I got the next couple steps of this build done.  Ailerons & flaps were assembled and installed.  Pictures show these aircraft were typically flaps up and ailerons drooped when parked, so that is the route I decided to go with.  Options are provided in the kit to position both flaps & ailerons in the up or down position.  Pretty slick.  The flaps were very snug to try to finagle into position, but a slight taper trim to the alignment tabs allowed me just enough additional angle to slide them in w/o sacrificing too much strength of the tabs.  Outer wings were assembled and installed.  Elevators were clipped off the trees, cleaned up, and reinforcement plates added.  They were then slid into the slots with no glue, as this will allow me to pull them back out for painting at a later stage.  Another note to the elevators, multiple angles are provided in the kit.  I opted for the mild tail edge droop.  With a bit of luck this one may be seeing paint by the end of the year.

51766688237_f5869a91a0_c.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

This one is still inching along.  Got the missiles, tanks, and stabs in primer the other night.  Got a few more little details to finish up along w/ masking & installing the canopy then we should be ready for overall primer.  Then we'll see if I have any joins I need to deal with.

Getting some of the stores ready as well as painting the metal portions of the stabs.  Just a few more little details in the cockpit (HUD screens & mirrors) then the canopy will be ready for install & masking.  Paint is getting near.  

51852839938_dc1a03c438_c.jpg

Speaking of paint, I pressed on and got the tanks final coated.

51852939203_1119bcac68_c.jpg

• Like 4