Phantom Musings (Build #1) - Oceanic JASDF F-4EJ Kai

helios16v

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

You are going to have to give up this 'work' thing. It seriously slows down the interesting bits of life.

Another 15 years...maybe a little sooner pending how much money I can get put away into a bridge fund.  :rofl2:

14 hours ago, helios16v said:

Another 15 years...maybe a little sooner pending how much money I can get put away into a bridge fund.  :rofl2:

haha.....as soon as you have extra money you just blow it on more Phantoms and other models!!!   :D

I know one thing, with the way things are going here in Sydney, I'mm be able to sell the house we just bought last year for probably double in 5-6 years time! Then we will retire right up north in the tropics where we could buy 5 properties for the same money! Could have one just for my stash!!!!!:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

They look better than my resin ones.

Resin still have the advantage in time.  Those took me probably 3 hours per pair to get to prime stage...vs probably 30 minutes for cutting/fitting resin seats.  I actually enjoyed monkeying around with the seats so it was a wash for me in the end.

39 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Resin still have the advantage in time.  Those took me probably 3 hours per pair to get to prime stage...vs probably 30 minutes for cutting/fitting resin seats.  I actually enjoyed monkeying around with the seats so it was a wash for me in the end.

I find that a scratch improved kit seat is easier to paint than resin, and a whole world more satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple more hours in this morning/afternoon after the decal session with the F-100.  I just need to paint the back of the rear IP then I should be ready to close up the fuselage.  I had toyed with the idea of running some wires out of the rear of the IP...but ultimately decided I didn't want to bog myself down too much.  I've got a lot of builds on the trot...I don't need to stall out on this one.  I've got a couple more Z-Ms in the stash, so if I'm still inclined to wire one up I'll have plenty of opportunity down the road.  The instructions called for Dark Sea Gray for the cockpit grey, but most of the pics I could find the cockpit looked a lot lighter.  Ultimately I ended up first shooting w/ Tamiya Sky Grey...which was much to "brown".  A second attempt saw a shooting of FS36300 (Aircraft Exterior Gray) which looked much better to my eyes over the first attempt so that's what I ended up running with.  I also opted to just paint the cockpit vs using the decals.  I do want to try it one of these days...but evidently today is not the day.

51521189008_1d2ae92b14_c.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Making slow progress.  Fuselage is now together and making progress with the engines.  Probably spending too much time on them as they won't be horribly visible once the burners are installed and it's buried in the fuselage under the tail.

51572903632_cdd50380b3_c.jpg

• Like 6

On 10/10/2021 at 10:20 PM, helios16v said:

Making slow progress.  Fuselage is now together and making progress with the engines.  Probably spending too much time on them as they won't be horribly visible once the burners are installed and it's buried in the fuselage under the tail.

So long as you're having fun it's all good ;) 

it's looking all good, I do like the seats, should send you mine to do!

Spent 2 hours yesterday fighting with some HGW seatbelts for my F-4EJ, only completed 3 belts....I nearly turfed the whole lot in the bin in frustration....... :fuyou_2: seatbelts!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

G'day Chris,

Just wondering if you could let me know about that DXM sheet you have for the Blue scheme please? Are the stencils printed with a grey background to them?

I'm looking at getting this sheet myself. Either for the scheme itself, or even just the stencils if they have the grey background (although it's a very expensive option just for the stencils).

Cheers,

Motty.

2 hours ago, Motty said:

G'day Chris,

Just wondering if you could let me know about that DXM sheet you have for the Blue scheme please? Are the stencils printed with a grey background to them?

I'm looking at getting this sheet myself. Either for the scheme itself, or even just the stencils if they have the grey background (although it's a very expensive option just for the stencils).

Cheers,

Motty.

To be honest I hadn't even looked that closely at the stencils before.  But yes they do.

51597293423_c959d73484_c.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

To be honest I hadn't even looked that closely at the stencils before.  But yes they do.

Thanks very much for that.

Interestingly, it looks like most have the grey background but some don't.

All good info. Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Motty.

A bit more work completed before the power started going out sporadically.  Intake and engines fitted.  I did spend some time cleaning up the seams towards the font of the intakes...but didn't spend much time with the seams buried down inside.  After test fitting, painting the rear of the engines was pointless...they well not be seen at all past the burner stage & nozzles.  I also only glued the engines at the rear.  I think all that will be visible at all is what you can see through the 2 doors on the belly.  The slip joint at the front of the engine supports the weight, but leaving that connection unglued will give me a little more flexibility/movement in the lower fuselage for final fit up if I need it.  I doubt it will be needed, but its nice to know it's there if I do.  MLG wells fitted and painted.  I actually attached them to the upper wings for painting, instead of the lower wing as called for in the directions.  Upper wings installed.  I was going to hold off on installing the upper wings until I attached the lower fuselage/wing with the main fuselage.  However some dry fitting of the sub-assemblies showed there wasn't a reason for my concern...so on we go.

51600004971_cb5aa58712_c.jpg

A quick test fit afterwards to make sure I didn't bugger something up.  Check those wing gaps.  

51599180707_e6d65e48aa_c.jpg

• Like 6

Not much to report.  A massive increase in workload at work (6x10s) means my time at the bench has slowed to a trickle.  I did manage to get a couple hours in yesterday, which was spent fitting/painting intakes and getting the lower fuselage attached.  I just need to get the leading edge painted inside, then I can mask and attach the intakes to the fuselage.

• Like 3