Phantom Musings (Build #1) - Oceanic JASDF F-4EJ Kai

helios16v

Figured I might as well start a thread to commit to a start of a build.  What am I going to build...good question.  Might as well throw my musings here instead of cluttering up the chat thread...and give you all a place to ridicule me.  :whistle:  I've definitely got too many options...and the base kit for the HAF AUP conversion showed up today as well (still waiting for release of the conversion kit, so that one is out of the running).  Leading pack...4 schemes, 3 types, 3 kits, 3 manufacturers, and 3 countries.  Lots of diversity.  And yes, I would love to build them all.....but sadly I will not even remotely come close to having time to build them all.  I've got a few days before I have to have my decision finalized, as I want to get the F-16s & F-100 off the bench first.  I'll probably end up making sure I get any paints I need ordered this weekend so I'll be in a position to jump on any of these. 

Anyways, onto the contenders.....:frantic:

Option #1:  JASDF F-EJ Kai - Oceanic Camo (8 Sqn) - Zoukei Mura

51418693933_5574a58843_c.jpg

Pros:  Lovely scheme, and very unique.   Modern kit.  Excellent detail out of the box.  Good chance it needs nothing...even the seats are pretty nice,  A/A weapons.  Decent size box, free up stash space for the E that arrived today.

Cons:  Stencils...lots of them.  No A/G ordinance (though not a huge concern as this is planned to be built as a CAP bird for an anti-ship equipped F-2).

Option #2:  USN F-4J - Experimental Scheme (VF-194) - Eduard/Academy

51419416930_3a60a3d63f_c.jpg

Pros: Cool, unique scheme (cross between Norm81 & Ferris).  Modern kit.  Very good detail out of the box.  Eduard boxing comes w/ resin cans, seats & wheels (kit cans are pretty nice, would save to update another kit).  Huge box, would free up the most stash space.  Good mix of A/A & basic A/G weapons.  No stencils!  :thumbsup:  

Cons: Detail not quite to Z-M level.  A/G weapons are only plain jane Mk.82.

Option #3:  USN F-4J - Vandy-1 (VX-1)

51419417090_4a2a19d214_c.jpg

Pros: Classic scheme.  Modern kit.  Very good detail out of the box.  Resin cans, seats & wheels.  Huge box to free up maximum stash space.  Minimal stencils.  Single color, less time in paint.

Cons: Detail not quite Z-M level (especially in the wheel wells).  Need to do a bit more research on this scheme.  If it has white stencils, I will need to track them down.  Stencils (or new sheet w/ markings & stencils) needed.  Despite single color finish, probably going to be the most difficult to have an "interesting" finish.

Option #4:  Luftwaffe F-4F (???)

51418694308_85b4263df0_c.jpg

Pros: Cool scheme.  Who doesn't love European F-4s?  :coolio:  Nostalgia factor.  Minimal stencils.

Cons: Ok detail, would probably be looking at seats & cans...maybe Eduard/Quinta cockpit panels?  Need to research if more stencils are needed, will need to acquire if so (box decals are old, so may be sound to source new stencils anyways).  Largest number of exterior colors required (5).  Raised panel lines on horizontal stabs & pylons (minimal rescribing).  Sounds like there would be no reason to go with this kit, right?  But nostalgia weighs in heavily, and even if I were to purchase cans & seats, with what I picked this kit up for at a show a couple years ago, it's still half the cost of the modern releases.

Feel free to pitch in your likes and opinions...I'll make sure to take none of them into account.  :bleh:

• Like 5

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Some interesting choices Chris, for me it would be between the F-4EJ and the F-4F as I really like both the camo schemes, though the considerably fewer stencils on the F would probably swing my decision that way.

The struggle of the stencils is real.  I still have flashbacks of the 1/72 RF-4E I did.  :rofl2:  But they do look so good when it's all said and done.

• Like 1

I would most like to see the Luftwaffe Phantom if we can't have all of them! All are excellent options though.

Personally, if it was my build, I would build the kit that I have not built before which is the ZM in this case. Have you built them all before?

Some tough choices there Chris. They’re all cool.

For my money personally the scheme on option 2 I think is phabulous, so original.

You mention stencils throughout so it’s abviously a bIg deal to you so maybe best not to go down the road with the heaviest stencil route

Although you could leave some off :wicked:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

Personally, if it was my build, I would build the kit that I have not built before which is the ZM in this case. Have you built them all before?

I actually haven't built any of them before.  I've only built a 1/72 Fujimi RF-4E recently (past few years).  I've also built an old Monogram F-4C probably 30 years ago....that's about it for F-4s.  I do love the bird though.  

I'd love to build all 3 kits so I can see the differences in design approach over the years.  But I know I won't have time for that.  I may start a second one knowing it won't finish...but I'm not going to make that call yet.  :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Some tough choices there Chris. They’re all cool.

For my money personally the scheme on option 2 I think is phabulous, so original.

You mention stencils throughout so it’s abviously a bIg deal to you so maybe best not to go down the road with the heaviest stencil route

Although you could leave some off :wicked:

Sad part...I think my front runner has the most stencils.... :mental:

But yeah, stencil definitely factor in when it's a GB w/ a target completion.  That was where I got really bogged down on the RF-4E.  I figure I'm probably going to need a minimum of 2 weeks to do stencils on the JASDF bird...

4 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Sad part...I think my front runner has the most stencils.... :mental:

But yeah, stencil definitely factor in when it's a GB w/ a target completion.  That was where I got really bogged down on the RF-4E.  I figure I'm probably going to need a minimum of 2 weeks to do stencils on the JASDF bird...

Sounds like you have your decision then! 😎
If i consult my man maths logic calculator©, oh yes here we are; it says that if you find a way to cut what you usually spend two minutes on decalling to one minute, then you can get it done in one week. It needs some henry ford style production process.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Sounds like you have your decision then! 😎
If i consult my man maths logic calculator©, oh yes here we are; it says that if you find a way to cut what you usually spend two minutes on decalling to one minute, then you can get it done in one week. It needs some henry ford style production process.

True that.  Though I'm not one to generally cut corners just to make a finish date.  That will be doubly so for that bird.  It's probably #2 as far as F-4s I'm most looking forward to building, behind the HAF AUP.  Hell, I'm still working the OV-1B from the Vietnam build...and that finished what, 8 months ago?  And we won't talk about the RF-4E...I think that one was started in the NATO/Warsaw '70's GB, and only just got finished late last year (close to 3yr build).  :whistle:

... and now it's my turn to add my 5 cents worth!!!! :D

My choice is option 1, ZM have played around with the stencilling a wee bit and it's not as mind boggling to do as with the F-4E (just compared decals sets), DMX's is even better.

opt 2 looks ok.....if you like that scheme, lots of fun masking that one up.

Opt 3 ........ black is boring...

Opt 4 I like, have just re-scribed the stabs, wasn't that bad and I really hate re-scribing!!!

I think your problem is that you have TOOOOO many Phantoms to choose from! :D

• Haha 2

Decisions have been made...some probably a bit foolish, but more on those later.

I've decided to settle on the Oceanic Camo EJ Kai for this build.  The F-4F almost squeaked it's way in front...but the blue bullet won out.  Parts are currently in the sink washing, though don't expect too much progress until I get the F-16s done.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• helios16v changed the title to Phantom Musings - Build Finalized - JASDF Oceanic F-4EJ Kai

Paints are ordered along w/ some metal pitots.  I'm thinking that is likely going to be the only AM bits on this build.  I'll make final judgement after I build up a seat and an engine can...but the kit pieces look pretty darn nice.

• Like 1

• helios16v changed the title to Phantom Musings (Build #1) - Oceanic JASDF F-4EJ Kai
On 9/5/2021 at 3:06 AM, trickyrich said:

build one........ buy two more!!!!  :D

I might "need" another EJ Kai so I can build the "Phantoms Forever" box scheme.  :rofl2:

In other news, I was reading through one of my reference books last night and they specifically called out 8 Sqn as being primarily tasked w/ strike & anti-ship profiles.  So looks like I might have to rethink my loadout.  I'll probably end up swapping the CAP & anti-ship roles w/ the F-2 and build this one w/ drops and a pair of big ole ASM-1 or 2 missiles hanging underneath it.

• Like 1

Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

Have you finished yet? :winkgrin:

I almost pulled out the seats to build, but it was getting late and I had to get up early for work this morning.  I did get some paint on the F-16s, so the start on the Phantoms is getting closer.

4 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I almost pulled out the seats to build, but it was getting late and I had to get up early for work this morning.  I did get some paint on the F-16s, so the start on the Phantoms is getting closer.

You are going to have to give up this 'work' thing. It seriously slows down the interesting bits of life.

• Like 1