IBG Models 1/72 Pzl.42

Hey y'all! Just wrapped up this kit the other day, and finally got around to taking some photos in the spray booth!

Honestly, this kit was a joy. Went together great, wonderful detail, just couldn't be happier with it. If you're interested in my build progress, the WIP page is below. This was the first time I've really tried a build blog, so I probably could do a better job documenting them in the future.

This was apparently a prototype aircraft, so the scheme choices were limited. I went with the version that had white rudders, but didn't realize until later that meant no markings on the upper surfaces! Either way, I tried to keep weathering to a minimum, I wanted it to feel used, but not abused. I modeled the bombs in Zbrush and printed them out. The prototype probably didn't get bombs, but hey, the thing looked naked without 'em. :}

Anywho, without further adieu, the model as it ended up. 

pzl42-28.jpg

pzl42-29.jpg

pzl42-30.jpg

pzl42-31.jpg

pzl42-32.jpg

pzl42-33.jpg

pzl42-34.jpg

Thanks for stoppin by and takin' a peek! ^^

• Like 37

Beautifully done!

:clap2::clap2:

I have some 1/72 IBG kits in the stash - a couple of soft-skin military vehicles.

Judging by their quality I'm not too surprised about the good experience you had with your Pzl.42.

The model looks great and it was good idea to install bombs. In fact PZL P.42, a modification of the series-produced PZL P.23 Karas light bomber-rec plane was intended for testing the dive bombing, and white rudders indicate Polish Technical Institute of Aviation - so this particular airframe for sure flew with bombs - for numerous tests, not in war.

• Like 4

Thank y'all so much!  It really is a lovely kit. I bought a few other IBG kits with this one, and the ones I have built so far have been a steal for the price. Next one in line is the P.11g. :}

4 hours ago, GrzeM said:

The model looks great and it was good idea to install bombs. In fact PZL P.42, a modification of the series-produced PZL P.23 Karas light bomber-rec plane was intended for testing the dive bombing, and white rudders indicate Polish Technical Institute of Aviation - so this particular airframe for sure flew with bombs - for numerous tests, not in war.

Thanks so much! It was difficult finding much information on the .42, I had no idea the 23 came first! I really appreciate the insight into the white rudders too. :} 

Technically the P.42 is in fact production P.23 (main Polish '30s light bomber) airframe unsuccesfully adapted for dive bombing. Visible modifications included removal of the fixed ventral bombardier's "cradle" and application of the twin-rudder and enlarged elevator. Later it was equipped with retractable bombardier's "cradle". Both retractable cradle and twin rudder were later used on the PZL P.46 Sum (Catfish) which was P.23 successor (only two prototypes of Sum have been build before September 1939, one was used for courier flights between Romania, besieged Warsaw and Lithuania).

P.42 prototype was later used in Polish AF Academy in Dęblin for ground personnel training and was destroyed during German bombing.

Last photo (taken by "Hitler's tourists"):

spacer.png

PZL P.46 Sum in Paris Aviation Fair:

spacer.png

If you are interested in Polish '30s aviation a bit more, we, Arma Hobby (Polish company producing plastic kits, inlcluding PZL P.11c in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales), have a lot of interesting materials on our blog (link in in my signature below this post). You can also just ask me here or in the private message, I'd be glad to help.