New Tool Revell XKE Roadster

My wife Michele has always had a thing for red roadsters, particularly XKE's.  Years ago, I built her a model of one using the ancient early 60's Revell 1/25 kit which, upon completion, was good enough to qualify for display in her antique doll cabinet. A few years later we had to pack up the contents of this cabinet in preparation for redecorating the room and I managed to "misplace" this Jaguar model.  I suspect I packed it in one of the 87 boxes of completed models I store in our garage....I have yet to find it. Since then, she's been bugging me for a replacement (I was flattered!) but I delayed, hoping someday someone would tool up a better XKE kit....my excuses evaporated this Spring with the release of this new EXCELLENT Revell 1/24 kit.  This one is built mostly OOB other than re-plating of most of the kit chromed parts with Alclad Chrome, aluminum or stainless steel over black lacquer base. I also added plug wires and a coil wire.  Other than some fiddly-ness with the small outer parts (bumpers, lights, door handles, wipers, mirrors), the kit assembled very nicely and looks much more accurate to my eyes than the original old 1/25 Revell kit.  Red is Tamiya Italian Red with TS-13 clear coat and other colors mostly Tamiya acrylics.

The ultimate compliment of any kit for me is when I wish to buy and build another one ( maybe a light metallic blue "his" to park next to this red "hers" in the doll cabinet?). This latest red one is far from perfect but Michele is happy so happy wife = happy life and one less task on the honey-do list! 

Cheers, John

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 33

Lovely job John, really nicely built and finished!

9 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

one less task on the honey-do list! 

If only all the tasks on that list were to build models for the wife to display.....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If only all the tasks on that list were to build models for the wife to display.....!! 🤣

I'd settle for "If only ANY of the tasks on that list were to build models for the wife to display.....!!" 😄

Stunning car. the chrome looks very convincing.

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback and kind compliments. Good catch Chris! Decal added (with incorrect engine displacement omitted):

spacer.png

I also wanted to warn others who haven’t already built this kit, if you add a front license plate below the bumper per instructions, the front bonnet opening will be reduced! 

spacer.png

Front license plates have been a legal requirement here in California since forever. Amazing how many “super cars” you see here without them. Understandably, who wants to drill holes in the front carbon fiber fascia of their McLaren or Lamborghini?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...