Bf109E Crash Diorama

fishplanebeer

My current project is a small BoB period crash diorama featuring a downed Bf109E-4 from JG54 and accompanied/guarded by four British soldier figures, a little daunting as the last time I painted figures was over 50 years ago when I was twelve! I've now done the base and also painted the figures but have to add simulated dirt/dust to the aircraft, so I'm looking at using Vallejo Weathering Effects (Light Brown Splash Mud) but have never used them before so wondered if anyone has and can say if they are worth investing in please?

I suspect this could not be the ideal place/forum to ask the question so humble apologies if this is the case.

Regards

Colin.

I have some Vallejo weathering pigments and they're the same quality as pigments from AK interactive or Ammo. Based on that I'd say it'll probably be fine.

So I don't have any experience with Vallejo weathering effects, but depending on whether they're acrylic or enamel based I would say they will probably behave very similarly to stuff made by AK Interactive or Ammo.

The manufacturers (Vallejo, AK, Ammo) have YouTube channels which demonstrate how these products can be used - maybe there's some illustrations of how to use those Vallejo products you are interested in in YouTube?

(I find armour modelers on YouTube quite inspirational, there's Nightshift and Panzermeister36, two of my favourites. Plasmo builds all sorts of things but makes use of these kinds of products.)

Although for all of these, I find that they make it look very easy to use but whenever I try their techniques it doesn't quite work in the same way.

Maybe someone else here has experience with Vallejo weathering effects?

The alternative I suppose would be to use my pastel set but I wanted to try some bespoke pigments for a change and have heard good things about Vallejo ones in the past, plus I used their Color range for painting the figures and they worked really well. That said I've no idea how best to use these pigments so I'll see if I can find a You Tube video somewhere to also help.

However much like yourself the problem I've found with such videos is that when you do it yourself it never seems to work the same way. For instance I recently used Flory's pigments on my Dornier Do217E yet when I applied the final matt varnish coat the effects just disappeared and I'm still waiting for Flory's to reply to my e-mail about whether I did things correctly.

I have a 'mule' fuselage to test things on so I'll do a bit of trial and error but it would be really helpful if anyone has used the Vallejo acrylic pigments, or similar such as Mig and AK, and can suggest a good way forward.

Regards

Colin.

Just watched another Vallejo You Tube video of their Weathering Effects range and it appears be just acrylic paint/liquid and not a pigment powder in which case I can't see how this is much different to just diluting any acrylic paint and applying this instead. I think I've just saved myself a few quid as a result so I'll try this along with pastels and see how it goes.

Regards

Colin.