HMS Rodney's bits and pieces

Xtof P

Hi there, i'm doing some research on the HMS Rodney at the time when she wore her fancy camo scheme in 1942. And there's one thing i just can't find: which type of fire control did she have then? It looks like a HACS MKIII to me. But was it the MK III or the MKIII G 🤔 ..... or even something completedly different? The Radar on top of it was a type 285, right? 

Please, if there is someone out there who knows, leave a comment! Thanks a lot in advance.

Rodney still had HACS Mk I at the beginning of the Second World War (fitted 1930-31).  The director tower was raised above the foretop in 1942 - not sure if it was replaced by a Mk III tower at the same time (note that HACS referred to the whole system, including all the below-deck equipment).  The "G" suffix referred to the fitting of a Gyro Rate Unit (GRU) to the below-decks equipment, and thus there would have been no external difference between Mk III and Mk IIIG.   In the 1942 refit, she was fitted with AR.RDF (radar) Type 285 - I believe the 6-Yagi array.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Our Ned said:

Rodney still had HACS Mk I at the beginning of the Second World War (fitted 1930-31).  The director tower was raised above the foretop in 1942 - not sure if it was replaced by a Mk III tower at the same time (note that HACS referred to the whole system, including all the below-deck equipment).  The "G" suffix referred to the fitting of a Gyro Rate Unit (GRU) to the below-decks equipment, and thus there would have been no external difference between Mk III and Mk IIIG.   In the 1942 refit, she was fitted with AR.RDF (radar) Type 285 - I believe the 6-Yagi array.

Thanks a lot, Ned. Seems plausible to me that it had the Mk I still, for it was one of the first to be equipped with HACS, as far as i know. And this must have been some really expensive piece of kit. So it would also be plausible it was not exchanged in 1942. 

Edited by Xtof P