Mirage IIIEA

GiampieroSilvestri

The E has an additional fuselage bay for avionics behind the cockpit which about brings in line the rear of the canopy with the intakes. In addition, the E has a different area-modulating nozzle on its Atar - the fuselage area around the exhaust may also be different (slightly longer?), but I'm not at all sure about this. Probably there are more.

• Like 1

Yes, the rear fuselage is differently shaped to host the different variable-geometry nozzle. This is actually shorter on the E compared to the C.

However Israeli Mirage III-CJs received the nozzle of the III-E late in their career, so featuring a rear end more similar to the later variant. Similar but not identical as they retained the longer parabrake fairing of the III-C

As @tempestfan has already pointed out, the biggest difference is the length of the fuselage caused by the additional avionics bay, he's quite correct, the intakes are level with the rear of the canopy whereas the C/CJ come to about halfway along the canopy.

@Giorgio N has already given a good description of the exhaust and its associated fairing.

Another difference is the E has Doppler aerial under the nose with quite a prominent fairing.

Down in the weeds, the undercarriage is different too, the E's is beefed up compared to the C/CJ, IIRC the mainwheels are different too.

Yes, the III-E proper, meaning the variant used by the French Armee de l'Air, featured the doppler aerial fairing and so did a number of export subvariants of the E. However others did not have the doppler radar, so if building an exported machine better check the fit specified by the user. The title of the original post mentions the III-EA, these did not have the doppler fairing.... but I don't know if the OP is specifically interested in a machine of the Fuerza Aerea Argentina

5 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Yes, the III-E proper, meaning the variant used by the French Armee de l'Air, featured the doppler aerial fairing and so did a number of export subvariants of the E. However others did not have the doppler radar, so if building an exported machine better check the fit specified by the user. The title of the original post mentions the III-EA, these did not have the doppler fairing.... but I don't know if the OP is specifically interested in a machine of the Fuerza Aerea Argentina

I missed the EA bit in the title, agreed, the EA didn't have the Doppler fairing.

The EA has the same extended fin as the CJ.

@GiampieroSilvestri

In general there is the earlier C model exported to South Africa and Israel (some were later sold to Argentina for attrition replacements suffered in the Falklands war) and the E model ( also all R models) with the above described differences in length and nozzle type.

In addition there is the radarless V/5 based on the E.

The fin extension is related to an additional radio antenna.

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Si,vorrei costruire un Mirage III argentino completamente in blu chiaro.

Yes.I would like to build a Argentinian airforce Mirage III in light blue allover.

Saluti

Giampiero

• Like 1

Ciao Giampiero

If it's a III-EA you want then these had no doppler fairing but had the extension ahead of the fin. What scale are you interested in ? In 1/72 Modelsvit recently issued a box dedicated to this variant, so all parts (and decals) would be in the box. In 1/48 the Kinetik kit is the best but I can't remember what parts are in what box... I have the first issue with French, Spanish and Australian aircraft but it's buried in the pile...

I know the kit, the fairing for the fin is included so no problem regarding having all the right parts. Now there may be difference not properly represented in some details, but the main structural parts are included.

1-003 is an interesting subject. The scheme was a blue grey on top and a very light grey on the undersurfaces. I believe this was a one-off, can't remember having seen any other FAA Mirage III in that scheme,

On 9/1/2021 at 5:51 AM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

What are the visible differences between the Mirage IIIE and the IIIC/CJ apart the Cyrano radar?

Thank you very much

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian

Hi Giampiero

I say look at the intakes they are in different position related to the canopy also othere kind of engine

Regards

Armando

On 9/2/2021 at 4:45 AM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

In 1/48.I have found a Esci Mirage IIIEA and Mirage IIIO that is still sealed for 15 Euro.I have only to change the serial number of the aircraft.The blue was I-003 and the kit is I-006.

Saluti

Giampiero

Hi Giampiero

Then you have to look for other or better decals here its is what Aztec Models offer

https://aztecmodels.com/collections/decals/products/d-063-war-for-the-falklands-malvinas-2

https://aztecmodels.com/collections/decals/products/d48-048-war-for-the-falklands

Also please notice that for Dassault Mirage IIIEA the first 12 samples only use the Matra 530 AAM from 13 to 19 used also Matra Magic 550 IAM

Regards

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER

16 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Also please notice that for Dassault Mirage IIIEA the first 12 samples only use the Matra 530 AAM from 13 to 19 used also Matra Magic 550 IAM

But I assume also the first 12 were rewired over time, no?