Finnair DC-8-62CF, 1/144

Einar

Here is a picture of my model of the Finnair DC-8-62CF. It was the first four engined jet airliner of the Finnish flag carrier. I was an enthusiastic fourteen year old plane spotter and when the first DC-8 landed at Helsinki airport on February 8, 1969 I was on the tarmac with my father and a big crowd to greet the plane welcome to the Finnish soil.

That particular DC-8 was christened "Paavo Nurmi" after the famous Finnish Olympic medal runner. With these new jet airliners Finnair started scheduled flights to North America and the four DC-8's of Finnair continued to be in use until 1985.

I built the 1/144 model from an excellent Authentic Airliners resin kit. There were absolutely no problems in assembling the model. I added the photoetch parts of the kit to the DC-8, as well as some additional details that I scratch built myself.

For a long time I had waited for good quality Finnair decals for the DC-8 and at last 26Decals launched a very detailed set that I immediately bought. For the cockpit and cabin windows I ordered a set from Authentic Airliners decals. The Finnair livery is quite simple but in its simplicity IMHO very elegant and beautiful. Of course, I'm quite a bit biassed in my comment 🙂 

I painted the white areas of the fuselage with Tamiya Fine surface primer that I then coated with Tamiya Gloss varnish spray. The metal parts were painted with Alclad White aluminium. For the light grey engines and the corogard of the wings I used Vallejo USAAF Light Grey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a 14 year old plane spotter I was a very frequent visitor to the new Helsinki airport terminal. Behind in the photo You can see the open air observation deck and the brand new DC-8-62CF. 

Edited by Einar
A new photo added
  • Like 66
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful job, Einar! The AA DC-8s are super nice kits.

I just brought my friend Steve's Seaboard World DC-8 back from Las Vegas. This kind of inspires me to re-photograph it and post.

-d-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, David H said:

Beautiful job, Einar! The AA DC-8s are super nice kits.

I just brought my friend Steve's Seaboard World DC-8 back from Las Vegas. This kind of inspires me to re-photograph it and post.

-d-

Thanks David 

Einar

Excellent DC-8 Einar. I really like the finish a lot. I must try an AA kit.

Your story is very reminiscent of my own youth, only my haunts were Heathrow and Gatwick. I wad just 15 in 1969. It was a great era for aircraft enthusiasts!

Thanks for sharing.

Terry

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Excellent DC-8 Einar. I really like the finish a lot. I must try an AA kit.

Your story is very reminiscent of my own youth, only my haunts were Heathrow and Gatwick. I wad just 15 in 1969. It was a great era for aircraft enthusiasts!

Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Thank you very much Terry,

I certaunly would have envied your chances of spotting a lot of different planes and liveries😄 You had maybe the liveliest airports of the world compared to Helsinki👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Einar said:

Thank you very much Terry,

I certaunly would have envied your chances of spotting a lot of different planes and liveries😄 You had maybe the liveliest airports of the world compared to Helsinki👍

Really beautiful model.  Like your previous Kar Air model i've spotted this one too in Helainki -long ago.   How about Spearairs "Härmän jätkä". Really smart livery an legendary aircraft.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Einar said:

You had maybe the liveliest airports of the world compared to Helsinki👍

Yes! Heathrow was very lively indeed in those days, a spotters paradise. We had to work in teams to make sure we got everything. I actually liked Gatwick more in some ways. It was closer to home and seemed to have some exitic types. Apart from the regular BUA and Dan Air, I can recall so many others like Loftleidir CL-44's, Tarom IL-18's, Braathens DC-6B's and RCAF C-130's and C-47's. Very happy days indeed!

Terry

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Juhannussima said:

Really beautiful model.  Like your previous Kar Air model i've spotted this one too in Helainki -long ago.   How about Spearairs "Härmän jätkä". Really smart livery an legendary aircraft.

Thank you/kiitos!

Just you wait. I'm also going to post the Spearair DC-8 soon😄

Einar

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

That's gorgeous!

Tom

Thank you Tom!

Einar

39 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Wow! That's stunning and beautifully finished.

Thank you!

Einar

Not my scale at all but that is a stunningly beautiful model of a beautiful aeroplane. Superb detailing and outstanding finish just add to the quality. I am very impressed!

As a matter of interest - have Authentic Airliners disappeared? - I have been unable to get to their website for a few days.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kapam said:

Not my scale either - but starting to wish it was!

Absolutely beautiful! :clap2::clap2:

Am I right to say the cockpit windows are decals, providing an illusion of an interior?

Thanks Kapam!

Yes you're quite right, the cockpit windows and the cabin ones, as well are decals. Authentic Airliners decals make those genuine looking warerslide decals.

9 hours ago, Baldy said:

Not my scale at all but that is a stunningly beautiful model of a beautiful aeroplane. Superb detailing and outstanding finish just add to the quality. I am very impressed!

As a matter of interest - have Authentic Airliners disappeared? - I have been unable to get to their website for a few days.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thank you very Malcolm!😀

You're quite right, one can't access their website. I don't know why. Let's hope it's only temporary!

Cheers.

Einar 

Wonderfully build DC-8.

The Finnair livery suits it very well and enhances the elegance of this classic Douglas jet.

Great "live" picture,those were the days,when it was still possible to get close to the airliners and no one had a problem with it.

Today the observation decks feature bullet proof glass fronts ( great for taking decent pictures....🙄) and most of the time closed to the public...as at our hometown airport since years...

I miss those easier days.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Edited by Alex1978
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex1978 said:

Wonderfully build DC-8.

The Finnair livery suits it very well and enhances the elegance of this classic Douglas jet.

Great "live" picture,those were the days,when it was still possible to get close to the airliners and no one had a problem with it.

Today the observation decks feature bullet proof glass fronts ( great for taking decent pictures....🙄) and most of the time closed to the public...as at our hometown airport since years...

I miss those easier days.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Thank you Alex! 

.. I miss those days, too when observing planes was easy and the airliners didn't all look alike😟

Cheers

Einar 

• Like 1