1/72 Greek spitfire Vc RHAF ER890

Hey folks!

Having been back into lockdown here in NZ has allowed me some time to actually try and build something! 😆 (rather than endless aquiring!)

Been rather interested in the mix-n-match Spitfires of the RHAF after purchasing the excelent LM decals sheet, and decided to have a go a modeling ER890:

Untitled.jpg

ive seen other modelers give this aircraft narrow cannon bulges, but the sheet represents the larger type, not entirely shure which is right!

still researching - if i can find evidence its the large cannon bulges, ill use the 1/72 Airfix kit, else it with be the tamiya :)

PXL-20210901-164919072.jpg
image hosting

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Like 2

I jsut noticed something:

knowing that these spitfires were converted from Vb to Vc - looking closer at EP694 the distance of the cannon bulges to the reinforcing strips on the wings seems greater than if the cannon bulges were in the typical C wing position (as on the airfix kit) from the distance it looks like the C type cannon bulges are still in the B wing position!? 🤔 I havent seen this discussed before?

conv.jpg

If so, its a major PITA because id jsut finished these (assuming builds online are correct)  :D

IMG-20210901-222318.jpg

ohwell, if not they can be for a future conversion! 

• 2 weeks later...

...So, i decided to trust the folk at LM decals, so will use the airfix kit with the larger cannon bulges :)

I expected getting references to be easier - I thought there would be a ton of HAF spitfire pics floating about, but alas!

The aboukir will come from a Tamiya Vb that I have different plans for!

Initially i was going to use the tamiya insert piece on the airfix kit, but as the tamiya nose is a bit fatter i woudl either have to widen the airfix nose, or sand the tamiya piece to fit, loosing detail in the process,

so I opted for just using the filter with the airfix nose insert :)

I i first glued the kit insert, then cut it off and filled the rest with putty. Dry fitting showed it aligns better than it sits in the photos!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Like 1