Eduard Bf 109 F2 1/48, an armour modellers take...

Excuses first,  Lee @Longbow suggested I had a go at one of the winged GBs, do something different, so here we are!

Armour is my usual habitat and this is probably the first aeroplane I've made in somewhere between 5 and 10yrs, perfect I thought being in a bit of rut! How right that turned out to be, what great kits these Eduard 109s are.

Loved every minute of it, so much so I've bought nearly every version available....(and a few more of eduards finest :whistle: too).

(Considering my build rate that's probably a couple of years worth of modelling! :doh:)

Anyway this is the weekend edition built for the current GB, wip can be found there if interested. To supplement the kit I've replaced the harness decals and kit instrument panel with eduard "Look" ones along with the supercharger intake. Brake lines made from copper wire and eduard interior and exterior canopy masks used too.

Considering the less than ideal operating environment for these the weathering is subtle and restrained.. (inspiration taken in part from Hans Joachim Marseille 109).

Enough waffle the pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Being an armour modeller I'm just struggling to find where to attach the stowage and tarps!

Must say I've thoroughly enjoyed doing this so hopefully I'll get a few more wingy-things done!

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 61
  • Thanks 3

IMHO a skilled modeller is a skilled modeller, whatever they build. Having seen some of your  armour builds and your wingy-thing I rest my case.

Great job - as usual. 👍

• Thanks 1

Very nice. I like the 109 in desert colours. I like the weathering too. Great job on that.

But a tip for future reference. Not a criticism because most modellers are simply unaware of it. Chipping on the front of propellors is rare. Then mostly on the leading edges near the tip. In fact most weathering is on the rear face. Actually there is a well known photo of Marseille's 14 where nearly two thirds of the rear face of the propellor blades are sand blasted back to bare metal. Something you'd also find on Corsairs on Pacific atolls. 

Also I love the base, which shows your armour modeller background. It really sets the scene. 👌

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 01/09/2021 at 00:17, Longbow said:

Well that looks pretty superb to me !!

Fantastic job ! ;)

Cheers Lee, it's your fault!

(I'm blaming you for the new pile of eduard 109s I have blocking access to my RFM Tiger to!).

:pilot:

On 01/09/2021 at 00:51, Winenut said:

Crikey!

Those armour weathering skills have worked a treat on this 109!

Fantastic job.

Really great wingy-thing :winkgrin:

Cheers, the change of subject years ago certainly helped, gives a different set of techniques and ideas, imo at least.

Thanks again, appreciated. 

Darryl 

On 01/09/2021 at 01:14, Gary Brantley said:

Wow!  :clap2: Build more airplanes Darryl. ;)  Man, that 109 looks great, and is a great inspiration for a 109E-7 I'm building!   That's a great looking model man.  👍

I will, I have too, since doing this 109 I've a pile of fresh wingy-things to do....:analintruder:

Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to seeing your 109!

Cheers

Darryl 

On 01/09/2021 at 05:59, Giampiero Piva said:

Fantastic work. Congratulations.

I wait for the next one! 😉

Thanks, I have a few shelf queens to get finished before I can start anything else but I'm sure something will come sooner or later!

Cheers 

Darryl 

23 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Very nicely done - the weathering looks spot-on to me!

Thanks, appreciated,  I like a little contrast....:like:

Darryl 

17 hours ago, Walter said:

That's impressive I like this a lot

Cheers, very kind of you!

Darryl 

17 hours ago, echen said:

IMHO a skilled modeller is a skilled modeller, whatever they build. Having seen some of your  armour builds and your wingy-thing I rest my case.

Great job - as usual. 👍

Far to kind, but it's good to try something different and rather fun too!

Can't recommend these 109s enough, relatively cheap, really well detailed and produces a great kit. Happy days!

:thumbsup:

Darryl 

16 hours ago, franky boy said:

Great work Darryl

I enjoyed following your progress in the GB. 

Hope to see you back with more wingy things soon. 

James

Hi James, thanks, very kind of you.  Hope to get a few more done soon as poss, I've a few armour builds to get completed but then....:pilot:

Darryl 

12 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build, great job on the weathering !

Wulfman

Very good of you, appreciated. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

12 hours ago, Luka said:

Considering the harsh desert conditions the heavy weathering on this trop bird looks just right. Nice!

Thanks my thoughts exactly, all that sand, stone and grit thrown around. Who likes a clean factory fresh model anyway! :whistle:

Cheers 

Darryl 

11 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

You can tell you're a seasoned Armour modeller...great work on the weathering and paint chipping effects.. You've really brought the model to life with your skills. Beautiful work.

Very kind of you,  don't know about seasoned but keen or enthusiastic!

Perhaps not to everyone's taste but that's fine, most stuff in the desert got pretty hammered so why not!

Thanks again, really appreciated. 

Darryl 

11 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

A lovely replica of a faded Friedrich.

Pete

Cheers Pete, very good of you, appreciated 

Darryl 

10 hours ago, Fridrih said:

It should be F-4. There was no F-2/Trop

Absolutely right, silly me, even said so on the box. Must have been thinking of another eduard 109 waiting for attention...

8 hours ago, noelh said:

Very nice. I like the 109 in desert colours. I like the weathering too. Great job on that.

But a tip for future reference. Not a criticism because most modellers are simply unaware of it. Chipping on the front of propellors is rare. Then mostly on the leading edges near the tip. In fact most weathering is on the rear face. Actually there is a well known photo of Marseille's 14 where nearly two thirds of the rear face of the propellor blades are sand blasted back to bare metal. Something you'd also find on Corsairs on Pacific atolls. 

Also I love the base, which shows your armour modeller background. It really sets the scene. 👌

Cheers, thanks for the kind words, appreciated. For me the 109 in desert colours is a favourite, seconded by a winter whitewash...

Good point re the prop, now you mention it think I've heard that before, I'll keep that in mind thanks. More research required,  what a shame...😉

I had considered a proper base with the DW 109 stands but they take up so much room...

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2021 at 08:02, vytautas said:

Hi, Darryl
I really enjoyed your plane, just perfect weathering, modeling, of course too. Everything looks very convincing and natural, just as an airplane operated in the desert should look like. Really great model!

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas, appreciated. 

Back to North Africa again now to finish a long over due tiger.

Darryl 

21 hours ago, Pagey said:

very nice!!

Thanks , very kind of you. 

Darryl 

On 11/09/2021 at 15:54, Old Man said:

That's a real treat for the eyes, Sir!

Hi, very kind of you, much appreciated!

Cheers 

On 11/09/2021 at 23:32, Murewa said:

Wow, that weathering! 

Hi, I kinda enjoy a little light weathering.....

Cheers!

On 12/09/2021 at 09:55, Bobby No Mac said:

Some very impressive weathering skills on display here; I like it a lot. Plus, excellent photography and presentation. Great job! :like:

Thank you very much. I think the scheme and area of ops lends itself to a little weathering. 

As for photos, dead simple, three pieces of white A3 (foam board??, can't remember the exact name) a fine if slightly overcast day and the camera on the phone.

Could be improved upon massively but still better than my immensely cluttered bench.

Cheers

On 12/09/2021 at 11:17, BerndM said:

Lovely result.

More "winged" stuff please !

Thanks, enjoyed this one so much I've bought a fair few more current eduard kits so I guess ....

It's now just time and getting a few armour builds finishes.

Cheers.

Thanks again chaps, really appreciated your kind words and encouragement. :frantic:

Darryl 

• Like 1