Tamiya 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

Evening all,

My latest completion is the superb little 1/72 Razorback Jug by Tamiya. I added some Eduard belts while the decals for the 78 FG came courtesy of Barrcudacals; I always wanted to model 'Snafu' after her short stay with TFC, but have never been able to find the decals for her, but this is close enough. Painted with my usual combination of Hataka and Alclad lacquers, plus a bit of Tamiya here and there. I made a few schoolboy errors along the way which take the shine off the finished model, but it's nice to have it in the display case nonetheless.

51415920221_ce5305a051_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

51415174382_cb9b6dd5d9_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

51415920206_389a1123c3_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

51415174347_ee96184150_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

51416676169_0513a82282_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Hope it was of interest, comments welcomed as always

Shaun

• Like 64

Are the wingtip navigation lights supposed to be Red for Port and Blue for Starboard?  It's a very very minor point Seamus and doesn't detract from the quality of your build at all .I just had another look at your pictures and both looked clear... sorry to mention this ... I use sharpie coloured pens for mine either marking the rear side, filling in the bulb cavity if present or on the outside depending on the nav lights used and seems to work for me . 

Kind Regards

Andy 

49 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Are the wingtip navigation lights supposed to be Red for Port and Blue for Starboard?  It's a very very minor point Seamus and doesn't detract from the quality of your build at all .I just had another look at your pictures and both looked clear... sorry to mention this ... I use sharpie coloured pens for mine either marking the rear side, filling in the bulb cavity if present or on the outside depending on the nav lights used and seems to work for me . 

Kind Regards

Andy 

Yes, red for the port ( left ) side and green for starboard ( right ) side. As most bulbs from that time gave off a quite yellow light, blue  covers were used over the lights, The combination of yellow light and blue covers gave off a green light.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Yes, red for the port ( left ) side and green for starboard ( right ) side. As most bulbs from that time gave off a quite yellow light, blue  covers were used over the lights, The combination of yellow light and blue covers gave off a green light.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I didn't know that the cover was blue for that reason! Thanks for the additional info. 

Still an exceptional Jug! 

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

What the others have said. Beautifully done in all respects! The Tamiya P-47's are pretty much stress-free kits to build! I, too, thought that TFC razorback had the perfect colors and markings- sorry they sold her, but very happy she's on this side of the pond!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional comments, much appreciated :)

On 9/6/2021 at 2:07 PM, 72modeler said:

I, too, thought that TFC razorback had the perfect colors and markings- sorry they sold her, but very happy she's on this side of the pond!

Snafu has to be one of the most immaculate restorations I've had the pleasure to see. It's always a bit of a merry go round when it comes to warbirds, and sad to see the better ones leave, but we got to enjoy a couple of good seasons out of her, and we now have a bubbletop back in the UK in the form of Nellie B. That said, I'd love to see Snafu return 'home' again one day!