Hi All, 

Not been on here for a bit, been pretty busy. This hasn't stopped my modelling, just made it a longer process. My last project just finished building the USN Bb55 North Carolina, as seen in the bottom of the pic. Reason these are like this on my table is that I've built a new display for them to go in. 

Have to say how different the camouflage changed over the years in WW2. 

Aircraft carrier USS Franklin with 1944 measure

USS New York 1942

USS San Francisco 1942

USS Indianapolis 1945 ( not yet finished) 

USS North Carolina 1944

Why did they change them? 

I do like building them as the (Dazzle) camo does look good. 

I will do some better photos on the N Carolina in another post. 

IMG_20210822_173628

IMG_20210831_202425

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

It’s a decent build, I used Eduard PE , wooden deck from shipyard? I think it could be wood hunter. And Barrels from master. Main issues are the 20mm guns , there’s quite a lot! It’s pretty straight forward regards to upper structures as they are in 3 separate parts. Once you do the main guns , deck and 1st level , it’s not that hard. BUT! The problem is the camouflage, getting it lined up etc hull is mainly masked , while upper structures are hard to mask , so it’s a steady hand with a brush!  I do some photos of the NC and put them on . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes they are all 1/350 , I do all my ships in that scale. I don’t have room for a diorama type one, so I display them on a wood plinth in a display shelf I made with clear acrylic in the front . So they don’t get dusty. I have made other ships that are not there. In total 8 all together, there’s HMS KG.v and Bismarck plus Z43 destroyer. I think I will add a destroyer to the US collection. I like to do ships from a battle or event etc. Hence why I have HMS Hood and Prinz Eugen to do. There’s also the Yamato and the destroyer Yukiakaze ? Plus I buy when some are on offer. All 1/350. When my broadband starts up again I’ll do a piece on the different ships and the displays I’ve made. Might give someone a idea to show there collection in there home. The Mrs is happy as they are kind off out the way. 😉

1 hour ago, Mariner1972 said:

Yes they are all 1/350 , I do all my ships in that scale. I don’t have room for a diorama type one, so I display them on a wood plinth in a display shelf I made with clear acrylic in the front . So they don’t get dusty. I have made other ships that are not there. In total 8 all together, there’s HMS KG.v and Bismarck plus Z43 destroyer. I think I will add a destroyer to the US collection. I like to do ships from a battle or event etc. Hence why I have HMS Hood and Prinz Eugen to do. There’s also the Yamato and the destroyer Yukiakaze ? Plus I buy when some are on offer. All 1/350. When my broadband starts up again I’ll do a piece on the different ships and the displays I’ve made. Might give someone a idea to show there collection in there home. The Mrs is happy as they are kind off out the way. 😉

Would be very interested in that likewise to keep her in doors happy. I've been looking at a cabinet from a well known Swedish furniture store which I reckon I could fit 9-12 ships (of 1/350 scale) in size depending but something more flexible would likely be better, 

• Like 1

Fabulous collection! The dazzled Franklin is particularly nice, I would love to see some close-ups of the free-hand you did on the upper structures. I have a 1/350 CVL (Dragon Princeton) in the queue that I hope to do my first dazzle paint on and I can’t imagine trying to mask and airbrush the dazzle scheme on the intricate/ PE delicate areas. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 3:29 PM, Mariner1972 said:

Why did they change them? 

As the war went on the perceived threat changed. I can't tell you which is which but one camouflage worked best against subs, another against surface ships and yet another against aircraft.

I find it amazing how small the New York, which was a large ship in its day, is compared to the later ships.

• Thanks 1

Gidday Mariner, I like to do all mine to the same scale also, but 1/600 (Airfix) in my case. They're nowhere as detailed as yours but they suit my very average skill level and budget. And I keep them in a glass fronted display case, a gift from SWMBO. As you said, it helps to keep the dust off them. Are you going to do any of the RN cruisers or Vian's destroyers involved in the Bismarck chase?

Yamato and Yukikaze would be a good set. I have a bit of a soft spot for the Yukikaze. What about IJN Yahagi? I've rattled on enough here. Regards, Jeff.

Really sharp builds, excellent collection. I like your theme of building specific battles... Can't wait till you get on the Battles of Leyte Gulf, some good subjects in there!

Thanks for sharing, you're a gifted shipbuilder.

Alan

On 02/09/2021 at 00:18, nearsightedjohn said:

Fabulous collection! The dazzled Franklin is particularly nice, I would love to see some close-ups of the free-hand you did on the upper structures. I have a 1/350 CVL (Dragon Princeton) in the queue that I hope to do my first dazzle paint on and I can’t imagine trying to mask and airbrush the dazzle scheme on the intricate/ PE delicate areas. 

These where posted when I finished the Franklin some maybe masked some parts not. Hull is masked 

On 01/09/2021 at 23:37, S-boat 55 said:

Would be very interested in that likewise to keep her in doors happy. I've been looking at a cabinet from a well known Swedish furniture store which I reckon I could fit 9-12 ships (of 1/350 scale) in size depending but something more flexible would likely be better, 

this is one display I’ve made . Pretty simple and even in the dining room! Wife allowed that.

above to double doors a full length shelf on top of archintrive then on a plinth each end for stability. Fixed to back wall. Grooved wood in the parts vertical . So I could slide clear sheet acrylic ,to stop the dust getting in. And long led ribbon lights. 

51418296103_f0327d4b1f_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...