Jump to content

Scale ModelWorld 2021 (aka Telford) - is on!


John Tapsell

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

Scale ModelWorld tickets have gone on sale today.

 

Ticket details and a link to the booking site can be found here


Entry for non-members is by advanced ticket only for this year. You will receive your tickets by email and can either print them off or store them on your phone/smart device (horrid phrase) and present the ticket electronically on arrival.

 

IPMS Members do not need an advanced ticket but will need to show a valid IPMS Membership card before they are issued with a wristband.

 

In response to Tbolt's question last week - unfortunately we are unable to take payment via Paypal for SMW tickets. It is Visa/Mastercard only. Running the e-ticketing site is going to be a learning curve so we'll take on board whatever feedback we receive and look to improve it where necessary for future years.

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2021 at 10:34 PM, John Tapsell said:

Scale ModelWorld tickets have gone on sale today.

 

Ticket details and a link to the booking site can be found here


Entry for non-members is by advanced ticket only for this year. You will receive your tickets by email and can either print them off or store them on your phone/smart device (horrid phrase) and present the ticket electronically on arrival.

 

IPMS Members do not need an advanced ticket but will need to show a valid IPMS Membership card before they are issued with a wristband.

 

In response to Tbolt's question last week - unfortunately we are unable to take payment via Paypal for SMW tickets. It is Visa/Mastercard only. Running the e-ticketing site is going to be a learning curve so we'll take on board whatever feedback we receive and look to improve it where necessary for future years.

 

 

 

 

I ordered my tickets on Monday and got a confirmation email, is that what's used as the ticket? It's got a QR code type graphic on it but it doesn't look like what I expect of a ticket and since I bought two tickets though I might get two tickets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

 

I ordered my tickets on Monday and got a confirmation email, is that what's used as the ticket? It's got a QR code type graphic on it but it doesn't look like what I expect of a ticket and since I bought two tickets though I might get two tickets.

 Hi Tbolt - yes, that QR code is effectively your 'ticket'. The guys at the entrance will scan that with a reader and let you through - you can either print it off and take a hard copy to the show or keep it on a smartphone and they'll be able to scan that too.

 

However, on a wider note I agree that event tickets ain't what they used to be (I was party to a discussion recently on the sad demise of gig tickets and how these e-ticket thingies were no longer the sort of thing that you'd want to frame or keep for posterity).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

 Hi Tbolt - yes, that QR code is effectively your 'ticket'. The guys at the entrance will scan that with a reader and let you through - you can either print it off and take a hard copy to the show or keep it on a smartphone and they'll be able to scan that too.

 

However, on a wider note I agree that event tickets ain't what they used to be (I was party to a discussion recently on the sad demise of gig tickets and how these e-ticket thingies were no longer the sort of thing that you'd want to frame or keep for posterity).

 

Thanks John, yes I'm use to e-tickets that look like tickets!

 

The title of the email didn't help as it's just "Booking Confirmation". If they had used a more ticket like format that was an attachment to the email it would be more obvious as you want to make sure you've got the actual ticket before you turn up on the door.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest help to me coming back into the hobby has been online buying,

Councils are using motorist in particular as a cash cow with parking charges etc, online has helped in the decline of small shops but rates/parking charges etc has had a far more negative impact I belive

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to be sure (as the IPMS U.K.site doesn’t make it clear) - as an IPMS member I don’t need to book a ticket for Telford even though it is free to members? @Tbolt? Or anyone else? 

 

I wondered if numbers were being controlled a therefore having a ticket/reservation might have been required upon which they can assess foot fall. 

 

Your clarification would be re-assuring :)

 

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

IPMS members do not need to obtain an advanced ticket. They need to show a valid IPMS membership card on arrival and will be issued with a weekend wristband.

 

We have explained the process on the IPMS website :)

 

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/scale-modelworld-2021-frequently-asked-questions-faqs/faqs-visiting-scale-modelworld/

 

 

 

 

Edited by John Tapsell
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Just to be sure (as the IPMS U.K.site doesn’t make it clear) - as an IPMS member I don’t need to book a ticket for Telford even though it is free to members? @Tbolt? Or anyone else? 

 

I wondered if numbers were being controlled a therefore having a ticket/reservation might have been required upon which they can assess foot fall. 

 

Your clarification would be re-assuring :)

 

Martin

 

While you would think that even members would have to pre-book, I guess they have looked at the number of members that attended the last few years and based the number tickets sold to the public on this.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tbolt said:

 

While you would think that even members would have to pre-book, I guess they have looked at the number of members that attended the last few years and based the number tickets sold to the public on this.

 Our planning is based on the normal visitor numbers (both members and paying visitors). Since we expect those numbers to be less than normal (far fewer overseas visitors for example), we are not planning in restricting the number of tickets available. As noted on our website, we and the venue management believe that our 'normal' numbers would not exceed any recommended visitor volumes in the halls so there is no requirement to manage attendance through limiting ticket sales.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please can we keep this thread to SMW so important and relevant information can be posted. It should not be used for discussions about Gig tickets or whether model shows are still relevant. If you want to have those discussions please start your own thread in chat section.

 

If anyone wants direct information about traders etc then please visit https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/

 

Thx

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Timmas said:

I've got my tickets :thumbsup:  (and my vax passport) and am looking forward to going, even if numbers are likely to be down this year.

If the numbers are down then it will probably be a more pleasant environment than usual for the visitors so that could be looked upon as a plus point :winkgrin:.

 

Duncan B

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having had a wash or the wearing of any kind of deodorant has never seemed to be a pre req for entry to SMW in the past.  Neither has washing ones hands after using the facilities been universally practiced so one good reason I will be carrying hand sanitiser in my bag as I have done at Telford even pre Covid 19.....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I concur Neilh some of the people need a good wash all over before coming in to Telford. Still it’s not as bad as any model railway show, where bad hygiene, shoulder bags hitting you and out right bad manners are seen a bit more often.

Simon

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notwithstanding fears about attendance and hygiene, are there any plans to do a BM massif meet up? I’m staying over this year so either day works. The fact that the hotel was available tells me quite a lot about attendance, I guess.

 

Historically we have met up at the Brummies with  @perdu and @Tomoshenko on the Saturday but I don’t know this year…

 

Regards,

Adrian

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Notwithstanding fears about attendance and hygiene, are there any plans to do a BM massif meet up? I’m staying over this year so either day works. The fact that the hotel was available tells me quite a lot about attendance, I guess.

 

Historically we have met up at the Brummies with  @perdu and @Tomoshenko on the Saturday but I don’t know this year…

 

Regards,

Adrian

I will be pleased to meet up at the Brummie stand if anyone fancies a natter.

 

When modelling is concerned nattering is what I do best these days.

 

I recall we set the time as one o'clock (1300 for the more technically precise minded of our brethren) and will be available both days too.

 

I was surprised to be able to find a hotel within a five minute stroll too Adrian, last year I believe I was half way to Wellington.  Or Newport.  :)

 

I am unsure who of us is coming, except I understand @Procopiusand chums are not coming this year from the land of the free.

 

Is there a list?

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The KITCAT is wondering where the traders list promised for the end of September has got to. I mean is it so difficult or have I missed a trick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, perdu said:

to find a hotel within a five minute stroll

Only yesterday I booked Saturday night at the Holiday Inn right next to the Centre, so it is definitely less busy this year.

 

36 sleeps to go!!

 

Regards,

Adrian

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KITCAT said:

The KITCAT is wondering where the traders list promised for the end of September has got to. I mean is it so difficult or have I missed a trick.

 

Here perhaps? https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/traders-at-scale-modelworld/

We're currently trying to squeeze 6-8 months work into little more than two months - stuff takes time (especially when you're juggling that work with a full time job). The trader list is provisional. It WILL change between now and 13th November.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, John Tapsell said:

 

Here perhaps? https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/traders-at-scale-modelworld/

We're currently trying to squeeze 6-8 months work into little more than two months - stuff takes time (especially when you're juggling that work with a full time job). The trader list is provisional. It WILL change between now and 13th November.

Thanks for that John, having been a club chairman and running large events myself I do understand and appreciate the time you guys give up for us.

Traders often reply late but still expect normal service in reply, it's one of the thorny things you have to get used to.

Thanks to you and your committee for getting us back home to Telford, it could have been touch and go.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...