Scale ModelWorld 2021 (aka Telford) - is on!

John Tapsell

5 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

There's also the council multi-story car-park, just across the road from the TIC, which I believe is about half the price of the TIC car-park.  

@spruecutter96, I parked in that one, from 0820 to 1800, £6.

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And Naval Models, two thoroughly delightful Dutch guys with some beautiful resin 1/350 Köninklijje Marine warships.

They have been a regular port of call for me for the last few years, so missed that one in particular. I recall they always have a splendid display of Dutch warships, plus some very nice merchant shipping models. Looking at the Kortenaer model on their website, it does look rather splendid.

Terry

6 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Oh, where were they I missed them somehow. Did Dora Wings  have anything on the Forthcoming Vengeance?

They were on the ends of one of the isles in hall 2. They had the test shot of the Vengeance.

51678386156_15704c30b9_o.jpg

51679267250_524f07825b_o.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Andy Young said:

I certainly missed a lot of the overseas visitors & traders although some were at the show today. Surprised to see a few empty tables, not seen that before. Hats off to all the organisers, getting in was straightforward and the wider gaps in between rows gave a bit more space for everyone. Well done to all involved!

I’d say peak visitor numbers was nearer mid day, later than normal, perhaps some were arriving later to avoid queuing before opening time?

Really good to get back to a show though, my first event attended since before the first lockdown. Great to catch up with some good friends.

Cheers, Andy

I would suggest that the absence of the Kit Swap this year will have had a significant impact on the 'delay' in visitor peaking on Day 1. As you probably know, the Kit Swap does generate massive interest from buyers and sellers alike and the first few hours on the Saturday are organised mayhem in spite of our best efforts to encourage sellers to drop off their goods on the Friday afternoon/evening. Many prospective buyers, looking for the inevitable bargains, normally head to Telford very early to get to the front of the Kit Swap queue which can snake out the back door at times. I was obviously not there this year but can imagine this could be a contributory factor.   

• Like 1

I mentioned briefly yesterday I had to sit down and have a pint as I had seen the Martian in his full tentacled glory.

He was in the competition area, and I assume judging earthling models against martian criteria, but then I spotted the Martian perambulating around the halls, still with full tentacle exposure.

Here's proof of his presence yesterday:

Sam_0329

Worse however was to come, when on my way home, I chanced upon the martian and a female earthling, who seems to be known as his wife.

During our brief conversation, Martian's wife fondled two of his tentacles and to my embarrassment, they rose in the air. Mrs Martian continued to hold his erect tentacles while we spoke.

Another female earthling who appeared to have something to do with the Martian pointed out he had four firm tentacles, but only two could become erect.

If you are at SMW today, you may see him in all his betentacled glory, but should you see his tentacles rise and become erect, a discreet withdrawal might be in order..

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 25

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

They were on the ends of one of the isles in hall 2. They had the test shot of the Vengeance.

51678386156_15704c30b9_o.jpg

51679267250_524f07825b_o.jpg

Thank you. Certainly looks the business. 

Still don't know how I missed them but that's what happens when you try to fit it all in in one day....

48 minutes ago, Whofan said:

you may see him in all his betentacled glory, but should you see his tentacles rise and become erect, a discreet withdrawal might be in order..

It would be the best offer I've had all year.... Beggars can't be choosers.

Chris. 

• Haha 8

13 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

In regards slightly random pricing - I spoke to several retailers and many were running a show for the first time in 2 years so perhaps pricing stickers hadn't been changed!

Unfortunately, the price of everything in our hobby is very likely to increase dramatically in the next few years. I am not scare-mongering here - just stating a well-established fact.

Global, bulk shipping costs have increased by up to 600% in recent years, previously common materials have rocketed in price during the pandemic (rumour has it there is now a global shortage of cardboard, of all things!), production costs and raw material costs are ballooning. Have a guess who will have to cover the price increases.....? We will, the humble customer!

If you are hankering after a particular kit, I would strongly suggest you get it now and don't wait.

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 4

Anyone still at TIC who has travelled by rail might want to know there’s been a derailment just west of Wolverhampton and no trains are expected to run between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury (and vv) through Telford until at least 16:00

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I had a fantastic day yesterday and my sincere thanks go to the organisers, as I am sure this has not been the easiest SMW to organise. 

Yes it was quieter than usual, yes there were some obvious trader absences (hoping those absent are all OK), but overall it felt really great to be back at a model show and I thought the standard of models displayed in general not just those in the competion, were superb. 

Thank you IPMS and roll on 2022!

• Like 5

I only spent yesterday at the show and Mrs T and I had a nice journey back across country stopping off in Buxton at the same time as their Remembrance Parade, where we paid our  respects. 

Considering the level of uncertainty around events this year and the short time the IPMS Committee had to organise stuff, I think it was a good show. Given the difficulties of travel between countries and the issues around bringing goods into the country post Brexit, overseas participation, both branch and trade was always going to be an issue. 

Might not have been the large shows of the last few years, but it least it happened. It met my expectations as to what the show was going to be thus year. 

The big treats (?) were meeting Martian in all his tentacled glory and having a good chat with John Adams. 

I also had the worst cup of coffee in a long while. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I'm not sure if this still applies, but parking in the ASDA car-park (up the hill, maybe 5-10 minutes walk away) used to be £1.00 for all day on a Sunday (SCRATCH THAT: Just looked up the ASDA car-park... Maximum stay is three hours, sadly). Still possibly, a decent alternative to the TIC's car-park.

There's also the council multi-story car-park, just across the road from the TIC, which I believe is about half the price of the TIC car-park.  

Cheers.

Chris.   

The car park next to Asda (literally-it actually joins onto it) is £1.00 all day Sunday, I always use it, nice and close to the centre, maybe 5 minutes walk away. Can't remember who owns it though, I'm assuming the council/shopping centre? Very handy though.

Enjoyed the show, was good to be back after a two year absence. Definitely a much reduced event this year, obviously, but it was good to be able to browse, photograph and buy the goods on offer without having to rugby scrum ones way through the masses!

It has been missed, well done to the organisers for putting it on.

Gaz

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

I also had the worst cup of coffee in a long while. 

That cheered me up no end. Unable to go this year due to an issue with my left leg, recalling something that I wouldn't miss, has lifted my spirits!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too would like to thank the organisers ( @John Tapsell) - the biggest tribute I can pay is that it felt completely normal (including making sure the bar worked, with @perdu & @Tomoshenko, obvs).   Not 100% identical to previous years - how could it be? - but close enough to give confidence that it will be back at full power next year.  

Astonishingly (in view of the photos) I somehow missed @Martian; perhaps he was regenerating in some Santaran pod when I walked through..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Astonishingly (in view of the photos) I somehow missed @Martian; perhaps he was regenerating in some Santaran pod when I walked through..

How on earth could you have missed me? I was even flying the flag of the Interplanetary Plastic Modellers Society with flashing blue lights at full mast so that people could find me! Clearly time Crisp paid a visit Specsavers!

Incredulous of Mars 👽

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Did the Saturday with my dad and my mate Ed, we thoroughly enjoyed it - Obviously not as big as previous shows but appreciated the extra space, didn't see many major bargains but came away with a stack of OOB Airfix and Revell 1/76th military vehicles so at least saved on eBay prices and postage.

Lost dad for half an hour when he went "Upriver*" - tried looking for him as he wasn't answering his phone but he eventually turned up.

Saw @Martian motoring around the competition area (to be honest, if you didn't notice him your mind had obviously decided that it was "Somebody else's problem" and airbrushed the view from your sight) but didn't have a chance to say hello for 2 reasons...

1) Dad was missing and

2) I remembered that I was probably going to be blurglecruncheoned if our paths crossed.

Thanks to IPMS for getting things organised.

IanJ 

* - Going "Upriver" in this case was not as bad as his all time record. He waited for 3 days after landing at his destination to let me know that he'd got there, "there" being Hong Kong....

• Haha 5

Spend a great few hours looking at some superb builds and thoroughly enjoyed myself, there were no kits for me to buy just some CA and some books, but it was well organised and the queue was minimal.

So thank you everyone involved in the organising of the event.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Glad to hear it all went well and you had a good time🙂 I opted not to go this year (was so glad I went in 2019!) for various reasons but hope to be back in 2022. Well done to IPMS for grasping the nettle and cracking on with it when it would have been easier to postpone it 12 months 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martian said:

How on earth could you have missed me? I was even flying the flag of the Interplanetary Plastic Modellers Society with flashing blue lights at full mast so that people could find me! Clearly time Crisp paid a visit Specsavers!

Incredulous of Mars 👽

I even saw you in a picture judging.

7 hours ago, Whofan said:

I mentioned briefly yesterday I ad to sit down and have a pint as I had seen the Martian in his full tentacled glory.

he was in the competition area, and I assume judging earthling models against martian criteria, but then I spotted th Martian perambulating around the halls, still with full tentacle exposure.

Here's proof of his presence yesterday:

Sam_0329

Worse however was to come, when on my way home, I chanced upon the martian and a female earthling, who seems to be known as his wife.

During our brief conversation, Martian's wife fondled two of his tentacles and to my embarrassment, they rose in the air. Mrs Martian contimued to hold his erect tentacles while we spoke.

Another female earthling whjo appeared to have something to do with the Martian pointed put he had four firm tentacles, but only two could become erect.

If you are at SMW today, you may see him in all his betentacled glory, but should you see his tentacles rise and become erect, a discreet withdrawal might be in order..

Martian, You're looking a little Blue around the Gills Mate. You are in need of a pint  the Generals Finest legal beverage(or illegal depending on where you're standing.) Almost thought you'd joined that despicable Smurf cult again.

• Haha 1