Scale ModelWorld 2021 (aka Telford) - is on!

John Tapsell

IPMS (UK) is pleased to announce that Scale ModelWorld 2021 will go ahead as planned.

At this early stage we have still to finalise some decisions about the ultimate layout of the show and some of the associated details but we are in a position to give you some important information about the show.

• Entry for the public is by Advance Ticket Only. Tickets will go on sale on Monday, 19th September 2021. prices and ticket office details will be published on our website prior to that date
  • IPMS members from the United Kingdom or from overseas are entitled to Free entry on both days on production of a valid IPMS Membership card
  • At the present time it appears that UK Government regulations due to commence on 1st October will require ALL visitors, exhibitors and traders to show a valid Covid Passport (or equivalent) before they can enter most large events in the UK
  • The IPMS (UK) Annual Competition will run in its usual format and all entries must be pre-registered as normal
  • We will not be running a Kitswap in 2021

Over the next couple of months we will issue further information and update our Scale ModelWorld pages on the IPMS (UK) website (https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/) on a regular basis as soon as we are able to finalise various aspects of the event.

If you are intending to travel from outside the United Kingdom to visit or trade at Scale ModelWorld, please ensure that you have read and understood the relevant Covid travel regulations for the UK and your own country before travelling. IPMS (UK) have no control over those regulations and cannot predict how they might affect individual travellers between now and November.

We are committed to working closely with our hosts at the venue, the Southwater Event Group, to ensure that Scale ModelWorld runs as smoothly and successfully as possible. and maintaining a close working relationship that has developed over the last two decades.

The IPMS (UK) Executive Committee would also like to express their thanks for the continuing support we have received from the members of IPMS (UK) in these difficult times. We hope that Scale ModelWorld 2021 will provide a great opportunity to renew acquaintances and start the journey towards our 60th Anniversary in 2023.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Great news on what must have been a challenging decision.

Can I clarify if IPMS members will need to advance book a ticket (understand it's still free for us) for you to control numbers?

@John Tapsell If there is not going to be a kit swap does that mean that Clubs will be allowed to sell from under their tables? I think that there needs to be a clearly stated policy on under table sales (not just at Telford either but that's for another day) so that Traders know upfront before committing to attend.

Duncan B

• Like 3

@iainpeden in the announcement it states that IPMS members get free entry, members of the public have to pre-book

@Duncan B There is a second statement from the EC which states that there will be NO under table sales, but in order to mitigate any welfare concerns due to large crowds and Covid, there will be no Kit-swap area.

https://ipmsuk.org/viewpoint/19983/?fbclid=IwAR2QhVFGvNSo3Z2LJEfZDY0rtc7lkAIlgGVtT07yD_XeZ3Y0yDuAe766yHQ

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

in the announcement it states that IPMS members get free entry, members of the public have to pre-book

The only thing to clarify now is: " Are IPMS members considered as "the members of the public" , and do they have to pre-book their free ticket. Or can they just show up at the door with the IPMS card?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treker_ed said:

@iainpeden in the announcement it states that IPMS members get free entry, members of the public have to pre-book

@Duncan B There is a second statement from the EC which states that there will be NO under table sales, but in order to mitigate any welfare concerns due to large crowds and Covid, there will be no Kit-swap area.

https://ipmsuk.org/viewpoint/19983/?fbclid=IwAR2QhVFGvNSo3Z2LJEfZDY0rtc7lkAIlgGVtT07yD_XeZ3Y0yDuAe766yHQ

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen the follow up statement.

Duncan B

2 hours ago, BallsBuster said:

The only thing to clarify now is: " Are IPMS members considered as "the members of the public" , and do they have to pre-book their free ticket. Or can they just show up at the door with the IPMS card?

Clarification.

IPMS members are just that, members. It's partly their annual membership fees that cover some of the running costs of the organisation.

NO advance ticket required, just a CURRENT, in date, fully paid up, membership card.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Clarification.

IPMS members are just that, members. It's partly their annual membership fees that cover some of the running costs of the organisation.

NO advance ticket required, just a CURRENT, in date, fully paid up, membership card.

I can see the confusion over this as I was too. I was thinking even though members have free entry would a ticket be required to manage the numbers coming through the doors and an advance ticket is the answer as of course not all members will be going but re-reading it does come across as public need a ticket, members don't.

Better be a good boy and renew my membership in good time (I didn't know you could renew well in advance)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is from John Tapsell via the IPMS Society facebook page

IPMS Members do not need to pre-register (but note the comment on set-up crews below). On arrival at the show you will need to present your membership card and be issued with a wristband. You'll also need to present whatever Covid credentials are required at the time (we won't know for certain what they are until a bit closer to the show dates).

There IS a distinction made between IPMS Members who are setting up their Branch/SIG displays ('exhibitors') and IPMS Members who enter through the front entrance after 0900 on Saturday and Sunday as 'visitors'.

The set-up teams will have to be identified in advance (max of four named members per group) and will have a different wristband that allows them access on Friday afternoon.

Not sure how we will manage entry for set-up on Saturday and Sunday (before 0900) yet but we'll keep you informed on that.

• Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Toe said:

renew my membership in good time

For most of the confusion, @treker_ed post, above, sorts that out.

As to the last comment, from what I've read in the last 24 hours @Toe it was the first I knew as well!

Makes sense though, as they don't do ANY renewals, pre show, in November.

• Like 1

I wonder what the ratio of members (visitors) to general public attend the show? I appreciate it would be a ball-ache and I expect there would be costs involved, but to control or at least be aware of total numbers attending surely some FOC ticket would be needed. Or is IPMS membership low enough for it not to be an issue? Also, will the lack of a kitswap reduce the demand to be first through the door at 9am on Saturday morning and thus maybe spread out attendance a bit? I ask all this as someone who has somehow never managed to attend and looks like yet again some family event has snookered me yet again.

35 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Makes sense though, as they don't do ANY renewals, pre show, in November.

@PhoenixII I believe that there is a cut off for renewals in October (not sure of the date) due to the time in which it takes to renew, produce, and send out the membership card. I pay mine by direct Debit, so auto-renews around the end of September/beginning of October, so I always have a mini-panic that I wont receive my new membership card in time. I always do, but there is still a small element of "will I/won't I" that starts to set in around the second or third week of October when the September renewals are being sent out!

• Like 1

If the state of our Royal Mail deliveries is typical I would renew very, very early.  Some of our first class mail is taking up to 8 days to reach its UK destination even though it is always posted at the main post office in the town centre and before 3 pm.  The local Postmaster tells us that up to 30% of delivery staff are victims of Covid self-isolation, etc plus they were already short of delivery staff as it is an occupation not seen as desirable by many younger folk!!

• Like 2

We have created a Scale ModelWorld 2021 FAQ/Information page on the IPMS (UK) website.

We will update the information on this page as frequently as possible. We will also try to capture any queries and responses we make elsewhere and add those too.

Please visit the FAQ page on a regular basis because it will be the 'one-stop-shop' for any show information we publish.

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/scale-modelworld-2021-frequently-asked-questions-faqs/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/1/2021 at 1:23 PM, Filler said:

Or is IPMS membership low enough for it not to be an issue?

I believe our IPMS (UK) membership is currently around the 3,500 mark - it's dropped off a bit since mid 2020 but has remained stable at the lower figure since then. We expect it to rise again now that SMW has been confirmed., but it will be interesting to see by how much it goes up.

IPMS members are issued wristbands when they arrive at the show (different colours for UK and overseas IPMS members) so they get a 'ticket' of sorts and we can reconcile that figure after the event to give us a total attendance.

John

I have had both jabs and have a card  recording this, I may need  to get a seperate  Covid passport , how do you obtain one ?  All very confusing, but pleased Telford is on.

PS. Thanks for the replies just read the IPMS Info sheet  and it's on there. Why oh why didn't the NHS encrypt the little vaccination card they give you ? this would have prevented fraud and honest people having to get a seperate Covid passport.

Edited by T-21

4 minutes ago, T-21 said:

I have had both jabs and have a card  recording this, I may need  to get a seperate  Covid passport , how do you obtain one ?  All very confusing, but pleased Telford is on.

Just type in NHS covid pass on Google and that get you to the right place, I did mine last week and got it within 5 days, 

• Thanks 1

You can also get a 'passport' via the NHS app (this is different to the Covid 'ping' app), although you will need your NHS number as the app stubbournly refuses to recognise me via all other forms of identification.

• Thanks 1

As an aside are Airfix doing a "big" reveal this year ??

Dick

Hoping for a 1/48 UK Phantom .

8 minutes ago, dickbarton99 said:

can u  use your vac card when u got jabs 

Some places I know won't accept it as been advised by several door security people I know, depends lot on venues but on side of caution get the NHS pass letter on safe side 

14 minutes ago, dickbarton99 said:

can u  use your vac card when u got jabs 

Here you go:-  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

The vaccination card is pretty useless as a form of identifying that 'I've had me jabs' because of the idiot element who put theirs out on social media.

• Thanks 1