1/72 MPM Northrop N-3 PB RNAF

On 9/15/2021 at 11:21 AM, Richard Tucker said:

I did but I don't think I'd be able to do a good enough job of the painting. I'd need to mask it and I think it would pull off the decals :(

Hi Richard,

I have done new decals in similar cases (wrong colour, side or lack of availability) just scanning the originals and printing it in black.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Some progress now as I have finished off the Potez 630 in the French Fancy GB.

I've glued most of the main parts together and it will need some sanding and filling in a few gaps.

y4m72JnXrGGW_Dew7U5gshX5yq7KKB5Y5VRPLEuE

I've done some filling and sanding but will spray the primer to see what it left to fill.

• Like 6

Some progress since the last update.

y4m2hljOkwyukXmcQnd328GbrA8oDHYJlZI2csOe

I've sprayed the camo. The canopy has come up well. The only mistake is I snapped off the intake above the cowling so that needs gluing on. Next stop, some gloss and then the selection of decals / painting / masking that I need to do for GS-G.

• Like 7

I glued the intake on and then jumped in with both feet on the decals / GS-G.

y4mtYnzSPSvgYPsslB_JUIvRNSCoN-LVCbuH7-N-

I took the advice above and used a strip of wide tamiya masking tape to stick over the letters while they were still on the decals sheet. I draw around them and then peeled off the tape and stuck it on some card. I used a sharp scalpel to cut around the inside creating a quite flimsy but surprisingly resilient mask.

I stuck it on the fuselage, sprayed the black and then peeled it off. I repeated with the other side and then masked off the "S" leaving just the G. I stuck the roundels on from another set of decals I have as they have the darker red colour. Once they had gone off a bit, I sprayed the G on using the same GS mask.

It is not brilliant but it is pretty good. There was some overspray which I have fixed. Some areas of the letters didn't quite get enough black either so I've touched them up a bit.

I did a little panel lining with a dark thin pen and wiped off the excess.

y4mI0DBBi8OXbaQEYEiivZkiQ2JpsAvsxGkfiRa4

y4moEIFjoGaZDdYFNEw-9tpWKk51nSojKkbwa_SQ

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

I'm calling this one done. Not too much weathering. All the little bits are stuck on.

Thank you for all the advice on the thread. It is really appreciated. A special shout out to @Vingtor and @dogsbody for the help and photos.

y4m53AWHaITuidMbWAgjkDiB9mwbXx6Wdj2mEx9c

y4mKLP058vYNK0QtLuXhR0KeXnMUAD26Boztmgbw

y4mFhelC3PuiEx8zy53pgyWRGb_YbgPoXmg6yWgg

• Like 12

Well done on completing her, she looks great! :thumbsup:

It's nice to see something quite different in the build, and for most of use we wouldn't have known about this aircraft, so am glad you brought it along.

I hope you enjoyed the build, it was great to have you along.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I hope you enjoyed the build, it was great to have you along

I did thank you. I'll be right back with another new build for the GB  in 10 minutes :)

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

How about scanning the decals and getting the lettering printed in the right colour?

I could have scanned them but I've never printed any decals. Can I do that with an Ink Jet printer?

• 3 weeks later...