Greetings from Seattle (well, close)

drdjp11

Signed up a few months ago after restarting modeling (yes, one "l" now that I'm more American than Brit.. (born in Sunderland, btw).). 

After carrying around a dozen kits for about 30 years and about ten different residences, I finally found time to dive back into modeling. Somehow the stash ahs gone from that random dozen to about 200 kits in fairly short order, focused on early jet fighters, commercial aircraft, both vintage and current, and some WW2 British Armour from Operation Market-Garden.

In a strange twist, the first model I just about finished was a Revell Stuka G2 because of a UK kit challenge - still needs a little finishing, but overall, I was quite happy to get this far...

IMG_4074.jpg

Cue up a couple of Britmodeller group builds (high wing - Boeing Clipper) and French Fancy II (Dewoitine 520) and I guess I'm almost back in the swing of things,

DB4D65CC-49A7-42E9-AB78-BA3F2F20EE7A.jpe

D520%252BCitroen-2.jpg

My ultimate goal is to develop a stable of early jets contrasting the very different configurations and approaches to design seen in the fifties and sixties. 

Oh, and the golden age of seaplanes, and... well, lots of things. 

I'm really enjoying the interaction here, so looking forward to many years of cameraderie and fun modeling.

• Like 5

Welcome but I wonder do you still have a bit of a Sunderland accent and how well that goes down in the States. 

I speak as someone with an Irish accent who brought out the entire kitchen staff in a fast food joint to look at the weird foreigner. They thought I was English. 😂

I too like the clipper and seaplanes generally. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, noelh said:

Welcome but I wonder do you still have a bit of a Sunderland accent and how well that goes down in the States. 

I speak as someone with an Irish accent who brought out the entire kitchen staff in a fast food joint to look at the weird foreigner. They thought I was English. 😂

I too like the clipper and seaplanes generally. 

I lost the rougher edges of my Sunderland accent moving around the UK in the late 70's/early 80's - people even in Manchester couldn't understand me (Uni at Manchester, worked at BAe Warton, postgrad at Cranfield). Then I moved to Montreal (Canadair), then Philadelphia (Boeing Helicopters) and for the last 30 years here around Seattle (Boeing Commercial).

My accent is noticeably different now, but people might guess I'm from Boston (US, not Lincolnshire, with their unrolled "r"s - "pahk the cah") or Aus/NZ just because they know it's nt American, but it's also not what they expect as British.

When I went back to Sunderland in about 2007 I went to what was the Sunderland Air Museum. They were going to close early, and I had to work hard to convince them I was a local - they didn't believe I could be from Sunderland with my accent. I had to describe Sunderland's 1973 FA Cup win in some detail before they'd believe me. And then when they found out I was from Boeing my friend and I got the royal treatment - got to sit in the Vulcan and everything. Seeing the guy open the entry hatch with a hammer and chisel was fairly cringeworthy... (Just got the new Airfix 1/72...)

Picture+396.jpgPicture+400.jpgPicture+404.jpgPicture+405.jpg

Picture+413.jpg

But I digress...

• Like 1