Mosquito Drop Tank fairing.

72nd SQN

Just wondering if anyone has photos they could share of the fairing fitted to Mosquito's that was used to mount the wing drop tanks ? I only have this drawing to scratch build one in  1/72nd. Thanks in advance ! cheers P.

.spacer.png

IIRC there were 3 sizes - 50, 100 & 200 gallon.

The only AM I can see is the 100 - https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product/freightdog-1-72-dh-mosquito-100-gal-slipper-tanks-2/

I can look for photos in books but I don't have anything that will give dimensions for any of the sizes.

Haven't been able to lay my hands on any close up shots at this time but, this shot may halp with scaling, using the wing chord as a datum.

Shot is an enlargement of A52-529 after she was ground looped at Labuan when F/O Draper overshot on landing.

HTH

Peter M

33cbc8e0-3a64-4033-b03d-eb45b9a15c65.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rossm said:

IIRC there were 3 sizes - 50, 100 & 200 gallon.

The only AM I can see is the 100 - https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product/freightdog-1-72-dh-mosquito-100-gal-slipper-tanks-2/

I can look for photos in books but I don't have anything that will give dimensions for any of the sizes.

There were 3 sizes of tanks as you say, but the question isn't about the tanks, it's asking about the mounting bracket which as far as I know was the same for all 3 sizes.

I've modelled these before,  the drawing and photo above should give you the shape, dimension wise mine are 7mm long by 3mm deep (approx, they're buried between two rocket rails!) 

I cut mine from scrap plastic card (30 thou?), rounded the edges and cut a small notch for the release mechanism. They're aligned on the tank centreline with the nose of the fairing immediately behind the front spar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

There were 3 sizes of tanks as you say, but the question isn't about the tanks, it's asking about the mounting bracket which as far as I know was the same for all 3 sizes.

Er, yes, I was being dim, sorry :oops:

Do these help?

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

I have access to an actual one. The unit is approximately 16 inches long and approx. 6 inches deep. I can provide additional pictures via PM if you like 

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crimea River said:

I have access to an actual one. The unit is approximately 16 inches long and approx. 6 inches deep. I can provide additional pictures via PM if you like 

So 5.6mm x 2.1mm - mine are slightly oversize, I'll plead artistic licence so they don't get lost in a bunch of rockets