1-72 Spitfire PR XIX

Airfix 1-72 scale.  I started this a while ago but just got a push to finish it.  The Airfix kit built out of the box with masking tape belts.  Nice fitting kit, no issues at all.   I adjusted the paint scheme from silver overall to Med Sea Grey over PRU Blue.  I saw a couple of pictures of PS5852 in this scheme and my friend TonyOT said it would be fine to use the kit decals.  If not 100% accurate - oh well, I like it.

This may go into the F24 Camera display at our museum along with my 1-48 FR Mk XIV. [here].   

Cheers!

51413246821_34715007be_c.jpg

51412501822_590b272d8d_c.jpg

51413246681_306063ab00_c.jpg

51413511463_46f51d285c_c.jpg

• Like 31

Looks great Bill,.... a true Cold War Warrior,...... watching over CHHYYYNA,..... from Hong Kong ad one of the fastest Spitfire`s ever apparently,...... having been dived back over the border rather quickly!!

Spitfire-19-hong-kong-PS852.jpg

spitfire-19-hong-kong-3.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Hi @Bill Bunting

Very nice result!!! I have exactly same machine in my collection and believe it's one of the most beautiful Spitfires ever. Fully deserves addition to any collection :)

28 minutes ago, tonyot said:

spitfire-19-hong-kong-3.jpg

Tony, thank you for the picture. It confirms my suspicion that only front portion of the airscrew cowling was white.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Hi @Bill Bunting

Very nice result!!! I have exactly same machine in my collection and believe it's one of the most beautiful Spitfires ever. Fully deserves addition to any collection :)

Tony, thank you for the picture. It confirms my suspicion that only front portion of the airscrew cowling was white.

Either that,.... or the front part was MSG and the rear part PRU Blue? The spinners were often changed so it could be different sections used a few days later and of course the 80 Sqn Spit 24`s had spiners with  white front section and a blue rear section so these parts could have been cross fitted.

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Either that,.... or the front part was MSG and the rear part PRU Blue? The spinners were often changed so it could be different sections used a few days later and of course the 80 Sqn Spit 24`s had spiners with  white front section and a blue rear section so these parts could have been cross fitted.

Oh boy I guess I should repaint the spinner.   I think I will go with MSG and PRU.  I like that combination. 

Now where's that tape?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Bunting said:

Oh boy I guess I should repaint the spinner.   I think I will go with MSG and PRU.  I like that combination. 

Now where's that tape?

I liked MSG and white :) Looks great. Try that if you find MSG+PRU not best!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

Now where's that tape?

Sorry Bill,.... like I said they probably changed the colour a few times. It is hard to tell whether the entire spinner is MSG with the rear half looking darker due to oil streaks,..... or the rear half could be PRU Blue from another aircraft?

• Thanks 1

Really smart Spit, to me the PRU blue recon birds showed off the shape of the aircraft beautifully. When I for back into modelling the last time round one of the first kits I built was the (then) new Airfix PR XIX, long since lost, I have an itch to do another one...

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2