HMS Montrose

Faraway

I will probably be building this ship next, Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Montrose Type 23 Frigate. 
Does anyone know what colours to paint her ?

Only two colours really I guess, vertical surfaces and horizontal.

I’ve got a fair collection of Tamiya Acrylic paint, so if anyone knows the closest to correct colour I can use I would be most grateful.

Jon

The instructions, as far as I could make out, suggest xf9 (hull red), 54 dark sea grey (horizontal surfaces / deck), 1 (black), 12 (props), x3 and x2 (red and white, heli rear rotors). The difficult one is the main vertical / hull colour, Mr Hobby 57 73 aircraft grey, which isn't given.

After looking online I found it was this colour, which checks out against Jamie's research, I believe? I should've just used Jamie's website to search... So you could get yourself some Narn52 (or the modern rn set), which I highly recommend, having become a recent convert myself (and after having first spent a small fortune on another paint brand). Although be prepared to buy them again and again in future.

Otherwise, comparing the epaint website against this colour conversion one I found that is was close to FS36473, which seems to equate to XF14 but to me appears too green, and xf54 which is too dark. There are other suggestions on the links above, but I'm struggling on my phone. I'd guess their standard light grey, but I doubt it'll be, or close to be, an exact match.

I don't use tamiya paints nor am I a whiz with paints, so this is just my guesswork, but should give you some half decent websites to come close. My apologies if I'm way off.

Also, good choice on ship, they are gorgeous. Being a london native, I'll be doing the westminster. And again, being a london native, I'll be doing her in 1/700 due to the space limitations in my shed of a house.

David

• Like 1

Vertical surfaces above the waterline are BS381C-676 Light Weatherwork Grey. This is a very subtle and reactive colour - one which looks neutral grey in some light and distinctly torquoise in others. It has a bluish green hue but not much.

You'll be ok with Dark Sea Grey on the decks - they are usually a faded patchwork of different touchups.

• Like 1

@Adm Lord De Univers @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies thanks chaps.

Dave. I wish I could make 1/700, but they are just too small for me. Looks like I have the (almost) correct colours. It is a good looking ship.

Jamie. I think I can sort of match Light Weatherwork Grey (just). I just wish I could use your enamel paints, it would make life easier. I’m going to have to look into an affective extraction system, then maybe I can use your paints.
Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I've found painting with a hairy stick means little to almost no vapours with them. Airbrushing as always is a different matter and I'm having to do so outside with a little one running around (which is one reason why my output is so low).

David

David.

I really struggle to get a good smooth finish on large flat surfaces with a brush. But maybe I should try enamels for a change. After all, they do dry slower, so perhaps the flow better.

Jon

I've got 5 litres just made but not decanted yet. This week's a complete write off due to day job commitments but it's possible my wife can do it. Hopefully by the end of weekend after next - maybe? Spent the whole weekend this weekend doing paints too so not overdoing it too much :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I've got 5 litres just made but not decanted yet. This week's a complete write off due to day job commitments but it's possible my wife can do it. Hopefully by the end of weekend after next - maybe? Spent the whole weekend this weekend doing paints too so not overdoing it too much :)

I’ll do a ‘notify me when in stock’ on your web site. If that’s ok ?

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 16:22, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Just received notification that Narn52 in stock. Excellent news, order placed plus a couple of other items. Wish me luck, I’ve never sprayed enamel before. What could possibly go wrong 🤔
Jon

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

Just received notification that Narn52 in stock. Excellent news, order placed plus a couple of other items. Wish me luck, I’ve never sprayed enamel before. What could possibly go wrong 🤔
Jon

Assuming you have opening windows and don't work beside a flame thrower when spraying, there's really not much to go wrong :)

I'd suggest starting with them thinned 50:50, and if you airbrush needle is something between 0.2mm to 0.4mm I'd suggest setting your regulator to 15psi static (non-flowing). The adjust to taste from there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Assuming you have opening windows and don't work beside a flame thrower when spraying, there's really not much to go wrong :)

I'd suggest starting with them thinned 50:50, and if you airbrush needle is something between 0.2mm to 0.4mm I'd suggest setting your regulator to 15psi static (non-flowing). The adjust to taste from there...

:thumbsup: