Yamaha YZR500 "Marlboro"

Here is my latest bike. Really enjoyed it but took a long time and by the end a few mistakes were made, luckily not too noticeable unless you have very good eyesight. This is a great kit from Hasegawa and very impressed with the details, although the fairings were a bit fiddly.

Learned a few things, some good and some bad. Tried my hand at heat rings on the exhaust, works ok but something I will have to practice on to get it much better.Mr Hobby GX100 was a bit to harsh for some decals but I learned with careful sanding and polishing how to rectify these mistakes reasonably well. It is a very nice gloss but I'll only use it for certain projects in the future.

On the whole the decals by Cartograf and Hobby Design are brilliant, although the Cartograf ones for the fluorescent red sections were too different to the Mr Hobby paint colour that they weren't used and masking was a better choice. Completely fouled up the yellow decal for the front number so that had to masked and painted as well. Worked well just don't look at the white border too closely.

Colours used: Mr Color 171. Tamiya LP2. And other Tamiya Lacquers for the metals including mixes for steel and burned steel.

Anyway, enough blather.

p?i=f09edac3b373f8973e1412182e76c0c2

p?i=f4ee19164187673a3d5b2b9dd009ad76

p?i=5111c29b634c258b8ce71e0ab7568e46

p?i=787b0020d77fcbde49de808ce386f2ed

p?i=f6e5560084cf666691311e9a7bfbfe9f

p?i=82726cf0d10afae6bfad85e40f8238f5

p?i=e28335db8dac2f9a2bc66c6915c3905d

p?i=360e66f41eb58309d21102489857c3d0

Thanks for looking and all the best.

Not sure what happened to the red as the photos I took were really clear?? Okay, changed settings on HPH.

Edited by Stef N.
  • Like 21

...and by the end a few mistakes were made.

I could spot them more easily if your photos were bigger. 😉 I only found two while I was squinting hard at my screen. 😖 🙂

Seriously, though, Stef; it's a nice build and the only thing which I would correct if it was (were?) mine is the little ghost line where it must have been tricky to mask over those grooves on the hump.

Did you airbrush the clear tubing with transparent green or did you manage to find a green-tinted one? I find coloured tubing hard to come by, so I started painting it instead.

I'm glad that you're self-critical, actually, because it means that I'm not all alone around here. 😁 In another thread recently, someone described himself along the same lines as you do, to which I commented that it's good to think that way and vital to improvement, then I got jumped on by a charmless gatekeeper.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Trevor, Ian and Ade.👍

Some of the masking was tricky to be fair, especially on the back fairings and tape, which gives a cleaner line wouldn't settle properly. As to tubing, like you, I find it is very hard to get, Hiroboy/Spotmodel never seem to have the right colour or size available. What I tried this time was to dunk clear tubing into Tamiya clear colours, get rid of the excess, then quickly dunk into Tamiya X-20A thinner to get the right tone and then left to dry for as long as possible. It worked well and it can be washed clean if it doesn't work first time.

• Like 1

Sounds messy! I sprayed Mr Hobby Aqueous clears onto some cheap flexible tubing from Amazon, doing long runs in a few typical colours. Then I trim what I need.

I've actually avoided buying certain racing car kits because I felt that I'd struggle with the masking and/or decals. 😳

• Like 1

It looks great! Lovely job. I was looking at these models last week, I wanted a Randy Mamola bike and the Yamaha was the one I wanted. Unfortunately I couldn't find that bike from any of the major suppliers, but having seen yours now, I think I'll settle for Eddie's bike. I already have a Honda NS500 and Schwantz's Suzuki so an '80s Yamaha would complement them well. That flourescent red really pops too!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @kiseca and @slippers.

The red is really nice and a tad brighter in real life too although it looks like curdled milk in the pot. I nearly threw it away thinking it was a bad batch but it's the same for all their fluoro colours.

Yes, Hasegawa just pip Tamiya to attention to detail. Lots of nice little touches in this kit.👍

15 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Andy. Hopefully see you picking up the airbrush soon.👍

Thanks Stef I'm busy working on the new work space atm but I'm getting there 🙂. Building a completely new room from the ground up takes some time but the main work is finished and the interior is coming together nicely 😉👍. The main problem I've come across is the ridiculous price for building products 🙄 

• Like 1

Well done Marco, building Eddie Lawson's bike. I remember these as a marshal at Silverstone in the day. Our youngest son knew Barry Sheane's step-son Roma so he spent most of the 500 GP's in his pit when Barry raced for Suzuki. The two stroke engines were really loud and crackly. 

• Like 1