RFI: One of a kind? 'The Creep' P-61A-5 NO 1/48 Updated Great Wall Kit

Greetings Brits!  I have taken the summer off building, but somehow two weeks ago decided to finish the last project on the bench...  It is a Great Wall kit (updated tooling with the fixes they did), P-61A of THE CREEP in 1/48!

This was one of my favorite P-61 schemes and I spent some time to get this one right.  I got the updated Great Wall kit, with the side of the box calling out the improved cowls and props.  I also got the correct height nose gear and replaced the kit nose gear with white metal from Scale Aircraft Conversions so the P61 sits at the right attitude.  I think I kept the rest from the kit.  The decals were done by a custom decal shop and I got waterslide nose art and the spiders for the spinners made custom.  Some may know The Creep was only available as decals in 1/72 on a old microscale sheet of P61's.  Since I recently converted to 1/48 due to my age, I had to make the creep with custom decals and they turned out splendid!  I also determined the tail number in the old 1/72 decal sheet was wrong for The Creep.  Doing lots of study reveled the correct (I think) number to be '25550'  This fits the production dates and the model of the aircraft, so I think its right.  I have seen '25594' on the old 1/72 sheet, but this is later build of P-61.  Also have seen '25560' but that same reference called another photo as 25560 for a different aircraft.  The Published image for the creep has the invasion stripes barely visible, so I painted those on.  Enjoy pics from the just finished moment on the workbench!  It was a challenging build for me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 33

Oohhhh! The Black Widow! :thumbsup:

Ever since I first saw the boxart for the old Airfix kit during a holliday i Austria in the mid 70'es, the P-61 has been a favourite of mine! :D

Mind you, I've never build one despite having the GWH kit in the 'stash' :blush: but your model sure is an inspiration! :clap2:

Well done indeed! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Thanks Guys...  I am trying to be a better modeler.  I see alot of fantastic models posted here.  I would love to hear of anything I could learn to do better.  I studied the exhaust staining by looking at P61 photos.  I use the Tamiya 'soot' powder and applicator (like makeup).  Is that the best way or can you guys share better way?  I think that could be improved on this model.  The panel lines were so fine I could not get the wash to fill them or look good.  thanks!