Green and weathered postponed to another GB

eek! Not started the Rhino and this is starting. So my placeholder for a RDAF faded green widow maker. Hasegawa kit plus Xtradecal plus Master pitot. 

Chris

spacer.png

Edited by Chrisj2003
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

I built a faded danish one earlier this year. An awesome aircraft to go to town on weathering. 

Paul, very much liked that in the Interceptors GB; thought you nailed the weathering on yours. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

I am sorry to say but those Xtradecal decals are way off when it comes to the Danish markings (in fact, so are all other Danish decals from Xtradecal). Incorrect dimensions on the national markings, incorrect fonts (shape and sizes), lack of squadron markings etc.

Jens 

59 minutes ago, Jens said:

I am sorry to say but those Xtradecal decals are way off when it comes to the Danish markings (in fact, so are all other Danish decals from Xtradecal). Incorrect dimensions on the national markings, incorrect fonts (shape and sizes), lack of squadron markings etc.

Jens 

Yes, well, Xtradecals seem to do this on a regular basis...    has come up on various subjects on here over the years.

but, can you perhaps suggest an alternative that does not have these flaws?   If you are going to rain on the OP's parade at least offer him an umbrella :) 

And just how off are the Xtradecals?  Usually they are just not quite right if you know the subject, but OK if you don't.   ...

out of curiosity, I stuck "Danish F-104 R-435" into google...

33581772923_73d1bab3fa_o.jpgR-345 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter cn 683D-6044 Royal Danish Air Force RAF Mildenhall 26May85 by Kerry Taylor, on Flickr

1250958-c-15059-38-pristine.jpg

I can see the difference, the font is bearable, to markings less so,  is there an accurate alternative?   That's assuming that the R-345 image is typical? 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

so,  is there an accurate alternative?   That's assuming that the R-345 image is typical? 

Stoppel decals :). I don’t know if they are still available though :( 

@Chrisj2003 I was there at Mildenhall and have close up shots somewhere. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Stoppel decals :). I don’t know if they are still available though :( 

I am not sure if you can still order Stoppel decals online but sadly the owner has past away due to cancer and the Stoppel Hobby shop in Copenhagen is closed for good 😢

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, desert falcon said:

I am not sure if you can still order Stoppel decals online but sadly the owner has past away due to cancer and the Stoppel Hobby shop in Copenhagen is closed for good 😢

Oh no! Poor him :(. Aside from the tragic circumstances for him and his family it is a loss for modellers of Danish aircraft too :(. I’ve used Stoppel decals and they are very good. 

Martin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Yes, well, Xtradecals seem to do this on a regular basis...    has come up on various subjects on here over the years.

but, can you perhaps suggest an alternative that does not have these flaws?   If you are going to rain on the OP's parade at least offer him an umbrella :) 

And just how off are the Xtradecals?  Usually they are just not quite right if you know the subject, but OK if you don't.   ...

out of curiosity, I stuck "Danish F-104 R-435" into google...

33581772923_73d1bab3fa_o.jpgR-345 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter cn 683D-6044 Royal Danish Air Force RAF Mildenhall 26May85 by Kerry Taylor, on Flickr

1250958-c-15059-38-pristine.jpg

I can see the difference, the font is bearable, to markings less so,  is there an accurate alternative?   That's assuming that the R-345 image is typical? 

I wouldn't call the font difference bearable, but each to his own. As I mentioned the dimensions (and proportions) are way off. Way off as in they got absolutely nothing right!

LN Decals have made Danish national markings in the correct sizes and dimensions/proportions. The codes *might* be sources from the Hasegawa F-104 kit with Danish decals (I believe it's a two-seater, but my stash is stored elsewhere now, so I can't check it).

I happen to know that somebody is working on decals for Danish aircraft including the F-104. From what I can tell it will be a very well-researched sheet, so unless OP, or anyone else for that matter, is in a hurry I would wait for the new decals to arrive.

Jens

Edited by Jens
Typo

Chris, I have no release date unfortunately.

Btw, I hadn't noticed the scale initially, and my reference to the Hasegawa kit with Danish decals was in 1/48th scale.

Best option would be to try to source a Stoppel Decals sheet for the codes and perhaps the squadron badge and then use LN Decals Danish national markings. 

Jens

@Chrisj2003 I had some stoppel decals that I used for my starfighter, let me dig through my old decals and see if i kept numbers from the sheet

edit: i can’t make out above - are you making this 1 /48?

i have these from stoppel’s store in 1/48 left over which you are welcome to.

remembering back the stars and roundels are out of scale and its best to mask your own (or using your roundel / flag decals in the above thread)  the numerals are great.

unfortunately the R is missing but the 345 are coincidentally nicely together for your airframe.

51418098579_37c9702742_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Thanks 1

@Dansk  Paul thank you, that’s very generous but I am doing this in 1/72. I clearly need to look at options to get the markings right on this.  And I was thinking it was the weathering that would be the challenge.  😀

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Green and weathered postponed to another GB

Well I haven't even finished my Rhino (after a month of stencils) so this isn't starting in this GB, but with all the helpful advice I will do it in the future; if not in 2022's Century Fighters (a lot of ideas there) then in 2023 Weathered GB, if that gets through.

Chris