Future of Alleycat Models?

hughb

Hi everyone. Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question, apologies.

What is happening with Alleycat Models? The homepage states Alec is closing up shop due to health issues. Doing some searching on this site reveals there may be a change of ownership in the coming months. 

I placed an order with Alleycat several weeks ago before realising the current issues. I received an automated email recognising receipt of my order. I have sent 2 emails since hoping to add to my order but have not received any reply, and am worried that my order will fall through the cracks during the transition period. Obviously though Alec's health is paramount. 

Alec Smith's homepage says that in September:

"Discussions will be concluded with a UK, Europe and US seller for all the range. This will in the long run be of benefit to all."

Amen to that (and I'd ask for a refund if he doesn't come through by a specified date). The stuff is first rate, but actually getting it can be an epic.

Tony 

To be fair, Alec has always tried to be open & transparent about the difficulties he's faced running the business, particularly around health issues affecting him and other family members. 

I've placed a few orders and as tony.t says, there can be a bit of a wait for it to to turn up, but turn up it does. I'll also agree that the quality of the parts of excellent too.

Let's hope that the business can find a new & equally caring owner, willing to keep supplying quality resin and adding to the catalogue as new kits are released.

Edge

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Edge said:

Let's hope that the business can find a new & equally caring owner, willing to keep supplying quality resin and adding to the catalogue as new kits are released.

Edge

Would be nice if Alistair at Aerocraft was in a position to reclaim his cat?

Mike

On 30/08/2021 at 13:19, hughb said:

Hi everyone. Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question, apologies.

Generally if you have to ask that question its in the wrong area. You have posted this is in Cold War Aircraft, its not exactly a premiere cold war topic is it?

I will move to an appropriate area, but please try to think, or at least ask before posting.

Yes apologies, I did have a look through the different sections but could not find an appropriate one. The reason I chose the Cold War forum was due to the parts I was ordering was for a Cold War subject - lame excuse I know. 

Also just wanted to say wait times were no problem, was mainly just asking if anyone had any knowledge where Alleycat would be moving forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with Alec yesterday at the Chiltern show and, with his permission, it's like this.  He's not giving up producing stuff, but he is giving up being a primary seller.  All to do with the amount of effort it takes to make up packages for posting, which his physical condition won't let him do.  He's making arrangements with one seller each in the UK and elsewhere to take his stock and be the primary vendors in their territories.  So the product line will continue, but we'll all have to get it by a different route.  This will probably be explained better on the AlleyCat site in the next week or two.

And I'll be getting the last few bits for my Warwick at Brampton on the 26th!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 9/13/2021 at 8:02 PM, pigsty said:

I spoke with Alec yesterday at the Chiltern show and, with his permission, it's like this.  He's not giving up producing stuff, but he is giving up being a primary seller.  All to do with the amount of effort it takes to make up packages for posting, which his physical condition won't let him do.  He's making arrangements with one seller each in the UK and elsewhere to take his stock and be the primary vendors in their territories.  So the product line will continue, but we'll all have to get it by a different route.  This will probably be explained better on the AlleyCat site in the next week or two.

Thanks for the clarification. I have had several items off Alex and his products are superb and of great interest to me so him deciding to still design and build new items is great news for us all. As said previously, he has had personal issues for a long time now and you can only applaud someone who grinds on against such daily problems and I for one hope for a turn around of his fortunes soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Available from Models For Sale in the U.K. That's where I've been buying Alleycat stuff of late, without any problems. They seem to have everything listed in the current catalogue. Don't know of any other dealers elsewhere on what's left of this planet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1