Academy 1/48 Spitfire MkXIVc

My latest creation built per box with the addition of some seat belts from masking tape, and a few extra scratch built cockpit details. I discarded the kit decals as they were very thick and the invasion stripe decals looked a nightmare, so I painted those.

Apologies for the poor quality photos. Very bad light today...should have waited.

51413416310_02fa407a3a_h.jpg

51412703218_3fb3a4fdfb_h.jpg

51412705123_bbd2563494_h.jpg

51411699537_dd72599784_h.jpg

51413205814_4dcd3eb55d_h.jpg

51412713628_155e63fd8a_h.jpg

51413432310_65c8464287_h.jpg

51413437360_07b494d5ab_h.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Beautifully finished Mk XIV!

The chunky fuselage and over-wide prop blades identify it as the now infamous (but initially hailed) Academy kit. 😉

In fact, I like the subdued, rain-heavy light in the first couple of shots, and the fifth one, too. Looks like archetypal English weather and marries nicely with the subject!

That red crowbar will only be found on modern day warbirds – in "the days" it would've been bronze green or natural steel, but never red. A whip antenna on the spine wouldn't come amiss. Another typical Spitfire feature would've been drooping elevators on any parked 'plane – a bit tricky, what with the complex shape of the elevator hinge line.

Great finish!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim,

I had heard about the shape issues, but I wanted a high back XIV and I'm not at the stage where I want to get into major surgery, so limited choice.

I had been wondering about the colour of that crowbar, as I'd seen a few Spitfire models with it painted cockpit green.  I shall repaint it.

I tried stretching some sprue for the whip aerial but could not get it thin enough.  I'm waiting for one of our cats to lose a whisker, and when they do, it will get trimmed to length and glued in place.🙂

Regards,

Dogtail2

• Like 2

Thanks BerndM,

The Academy kit went together well, with good fit of parts. 

Only issues I had was a wobbly prop due to the prop shaft insert being too loose, which I cured by adding a small disc hidden inside the spinner to take up the slack, and the sliding part of the canopy had a seam along the top which polished out easily.

The decals were discarded.  Way too thick for my taste. 

Cheers

D.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dogtail2 said:

Thanks BerndM,

The Academy kit went together well, with good fit of parts. 

Only issues I had was a wobbly prop due to the prop shaft insert being too loose, which I cured by adding a small disc hidden inside the spinner to take up the slack, and the sliding part of the canopy had a seam along the top which polished out easily.

The decals were discarded.  Way too thick for my taste. 

Cheers

D.

I have build mine when these kits came out and have refurbished it last year.

It was one of my first use of aftermarket decals, in this case Aeromaster or Strike Eagle.

May i do a post here on Britmodeller, at least i will have the accuracy police on my six 😬

Cheers :)

• Like 1