Israeli Improvised Armoured Car, Type 1.

On the final stretch now. One job that I had left until last was the headlamps and their brush guards. I have the Eduard etched set for the M3 Scout Car, but on inspection, I decided against using it for the brush guards as they are so very fragile as to be useless (well at least in my clumsy hands). So I looked at the kit's offerings, and they're not too bad. A lot better than the Italeri ones. The inverted U shape of the guards is a bit on the thick side, so using a coarse sanding stick, I rubbed them down to a more acceptable thickness. At the back are a couple of triangular fillets which I removed and replace with thin card. When I was happy with them, they were glued in place.

But then........I had another look at the etched brass ones and thought, well why not give them a try. So once removed from the fret, I bent the frame to shape and added the open mesh guard... carefully. Breathe on them and they would bend out of shape. I managed to attach all of the mesh by adding super glue, using a piece of very thin stretched sprue. I was happy with the finished article, so I removed the kit item, and glued the etched ones in place.

I'm leaving the headlamps off until after painting as it would be nigh on impossible to get the lenses fitted with the lamps in place.

968eddbd-9769-4179-8027-7386cdba01ca.JPG

6fe49875-d0da-4bb6-8faa-84ae834ba176.JPG

Basically, that's the build finished. All I need to add now before proceeding to the paint shop, are some pieces of kit and a camnet. The first bit of kit that I wanted to add was a stretcher, as there are photos of these A/C's carrying them. For the shafts, I used lengths of plastic channel and glued strips of 10thou card to them, and then glued short lengths of 40thou rod to the ends for the handles. The feet were pieces left over from an Eduard set for the Academy Grant. I bent them to shape and then super glued them to the shafts.

479a7777-f261-4f9e-8968-8c44188b48fe.JPG 46825658-368f-4a5f-81a9-5cf75cc11939.JPG

The stretcher's canvas is blue towel roll soaked in dilute white PVA glue, and then the whole thing was affixed to the side of the A/C. The retaining straps are also from the Grant set, plus some strips of pewter foil.

e9158b72-925c-4ff2-9004-d353e98f47ca.JPG

2d153ce7-b655-496b-9084-2ab99c19d242.JPG

On the other side and the rear I added some personal kit which came from a Verlinden set. I added a couple of straps and buckles to the large pack on the rear of the vehicle. Finally, I rolled up a length of camnet, soaked it in dilute PVA, and then positioned it around the top edge of the roof. I decided against adding any straps as the few (not very clear) photos that I have of these vehicles with camnets appear to show them just laying on the roofs.

9d362b06-e531-4c1c-b067-1d7d95f07017.JPG

851f2e7b-7ea0-4334-bb75-d696a6f6ae5d.JPG

b2141239-4738-4352-9d3f-b650c842a1f5.JPG

And that's the build completed. All that needs to be added are a couple of aerials and the headlamps, and these will all be done once the painting is finsihed.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make a start on painting this over the next week.

As always, thanks for looking and for any comments.

John.

• Like 22

20 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Very neat.

It is interesting to see how much of a model is built before the paint goes on. I am starting to think that I'm overly cautious with me keeping things separate and painted before final assembly...

Stuart

I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thanks Stuart. With some items, there is just no way that it can be added later. That camnet is a good example. I prefer to add everything and then paint it once the main paint job is finished. It also helps with weathering and pigments, as doing all of that with the items in place, helps to blend everything together.

John.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Good work John, the build up to now is just brilliant, with some paint on it will be amazing...

Ed

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Cracking build just caught up with this looking forward to seeing the paint stage.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

10 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Stunning build John looking forward to seeing it in paint now

Stay safe             Roger

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. Tomorrow is supposed to be persisting down, so it'll be indoor work for me.

John.

• Like 1

Looks great in its "raw" state, the headlamp guards look really good. However I'm not going to be drawn into the lunacy of attaching everything first and then painting, just crazy talk!! :mental:

(Perhaps that says more about my detail painting abilities...:shrug:)

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, badger said:

Just caught up with this - great outcome John and I'm really looking forward to seeing the paint go on.

All the best

Ben

11 hours ago, vytautas said:

Exactly!

Vytautas

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looks great in its "raw" state, the headlamp guards look really good. However I'm not going to be drawn into the lunacy of attaching everything first and then painting, just crazy talk!! :mental:

(Perhaps that says more about my detail painting abilities...:shrug:)

Cheers 

Thank you all for your comments. Painting started yesterday with the primer, and it nearly all went very wrong. I've had to rely on some local cans of black primer, and it's basically crap for models. It just drenched the model and spattered everywhere. Fortunately, It dried OK. So one of the items on my shopping list for when I'm back in Blighty is a couple of cans of Halfords primer. 

John.

As has already been stated, the black primer went on as though it had been thrown from a bucket. The nozzle on the can has all the finesse of a fire hose. But fortunately, it dried OK. So it was time to move on to the base coat.

I realised that I was very low on Mig's IDF Green, so I made up a mix of Tamiya's Khaki Drab, Olive Drab and some NATO Brown to an approximation of the mix. I airbrushed this all over and left it to dry. Next day, I emptied the last of my IDF Green into the a/brush cup and there was enough to give a solid coat all over as well as the turret and wheels.

98669f7a-27cb-4075-8b75-f787746f85b9.JPG

63514972-1ca2-4af6-9c70-dd8eee1ac5b3.JPG

Now I'll leave this for a while before starting some detail painting.

I'll be back when I have some more work done.

John.

• Like 19

I was already used to the unpainted image of your model... It's strange a bit, when you start painting, we no longer see all the huge amount of work done in the modeling, and this is a bit of a pity.
But gradually the model takes on another value - the completed whole

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Wow John, that really does look good, it's amazing to see all the work that you have done in the scratch building and then seeing the paint on, just looks fantastic...

Ed

10 hours ago, vytautas said:

I was already used to the unpainted image of your model... It's strange a bit, when you start painting, we no longer see all the huge amount of work done in the modeling, and this is a bit of a pity.
But gradually the model takes on another value - the completed whole

Vytautas

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Looks stunning in colour John   Great work

Stay safe          Roger

My thanks to the three of you. The comments are very much appreciated. I agree about the paint covering up all of the extra work that goes into  a model. I sometimes think that in competitions, some judges don't appreciate/know the amount of work that goes into a model. Still, at least I know.

John.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I sometimes think that in competitions, some judges don't appreciate/know the amount of work that goes into a model.

Yes, you are right. 
But sometimes the most difficult problems are solved in simple ways - enough just think.

And so, a primitive way to solve the problem is to leave the model completely unpainted.

But the other group may not like it. Hmm... not particularly good... conflicts of interest will arise...

But you're in luck - fortunately, I know the guaranteed and very simple way to solve the problem - make two identical models, one painted, the other not. That's all it takes to solve the problem perfectly.

Of course, it would be better to have three of the same model, one would be in case of unforeseen circumstances.
Alright, alright, you don't have to thank me, I don’t spare good advice for my colleagues... 

:D

Vytautas

P. S. I don’t want to brag, but I’m really very smart!

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

This is really looking very good John and seems to have come together pretty quickly considering the amount of work you have done on it. 

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. It feels a though it's been ages, but it's only eight weeks. Still, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

John.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Strewth its turned green!

Just a pity someone left it parked overnight it Liverpool!

And they even nicked the house bricks as well!! Thanks Darryl. Appreciate your comments.

John.

• Haha 1

No, I don't mind at all. It does look a bit monochromatic, but that's basically because it's the base coat. I'm not much of a one for all this modular painting (or whatever it's called). When I finally get some time to do some more work on it, I'll try and lighten it up in places, but most of what I do to my models happens when it comes to applying pigments. I use Carr's pigments a lot, and like the effect which I get from them.

As I said, modelling time is in short supply at the moment, as my priority right now is putting a new roof on a barn while we have some dry weather.

John.

• Like 2