Israeli Improvised Armoured Car, Type 1.

10 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Very impressive scratch building John,

It's coming together very nicely and It looks as though your enjoying yourself with this one.

Wayne

Thanks for your comments Wayne. Yes, I am enjoying this build. I'm never happier than when I'm fettling pieces of plastic card.

John.

All of the remaining side panels were cut and glued in place. Milliput was applied to all of the joints and then left to harden before rubbing down.

bb3fac1e-ea44-481e-a30c-ee3846e176b9.JPG

c34f4917-b865-4ba6-84d8-333862ce9da1.JPG

Six bolt heads glued around the opening for the MG 34. The hatch was made from three pieces of .5mm card (base and two hatch lids). To this I added the hinges which are pieces of stretched sprue and the end pieces 10x40 thou strip. 

0b7cb223-f07f-40b6-bf2a-f1f4def9fb8e.JPG

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to cut the viewing slits before fixing the panels in place. So a couple of hours were spent, marking the positions, drilling them with a .4mm bit, and then opening them up with a scalpel blade.

7ec5655b-ac62-4fe1-a986-5509539bb013.JPG

7dc8f7ad-a82d-4901-9c57-c386f8587694.JPG

Just in front of the hatch is a periscope. This was made from one taken from the Academy M51 kit and cut in half and glued to the roof. The surrounding frame was cut from .5mm card, drilled out and cut to shape, and then finished off with some very careful sanding, before gluing in place. It's not exactly prototypical, but I don't have a clear photo of one mounted in one of these vehicles.

7576920e-2b30-4777-b653-6299c03c74cc.JPG

There are three protrusions around the base of the turret, which are for the internal cranks for hand turning the turret. The bases were sliced from the ends of appropriate sized sprue, with a nut and bolt head glued to each centre. MG34 also in place.

5501e190-5843-4952-83ad-e0b64b76b945.JPG

ae99c132-d380-4190-8062-1be063acf414.JPG

Finally. A couple of shots of the fixed MG position.

09bd4a0c-b28e-4f6f-ab71-29cb2dcfed83.JPG

996a4538-4141-48d7-a1f3-1e6cb21326b8.JPG

That's it for this update. Not a lot more to do now. Just the headlamps and some kit and other gear to add, and then it will be ready for some paint. Thanks for watching.

John.

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Beautiful work as always John, really does look good, fabulous detailing . Where did you get your MG from? I'm thinking of a future build here...

Ed

Many thanks Ed. I got the MG34 from Martola in Poland. Not cheap. 18 euros for the pair including P&P. These are Aber, and unlike RB Models, they are a little on the complicated side. The gun itself comes in three parts, cooling jacket, barrel and separate muzzle. Then there are the etched brass parts to add. One piece for the forward sight, two pieces for the bracket which holds the rear sight and then the sight itself. I left off these last three items and just added the forward sight. I rue the day that RB Models went down.

John.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Many thanks Ed. I got the MG34 from Martola in Poland. Not cheap. 18 euros for the pair including P&P. These are Aber, and unlike RB Models, they are a little on the complicated side. The gun itself comes in three parts, cooling jacket, barrel and separate muzzle. Then there are the etched brass parts to add. One piece for the forward sight, two pieces for the bracket which holds the rear sight and then the sight itself. I left off these last three items and just added the forward sight. I rue the day that RB Models went down.

John.

Brilliant, thanks John, I have to say they do look good...

thanks for the info, I'll take a look

Ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Stunning scratch building John, looking forward to seeing this with it's war paint on now

Bar raised yet again

Seconded, really awesome build!

I have a question - how did they aim the machine guns? I don't see any openings for sights in the case. Maybe the periscopes were in sync with the machine guns?

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Courageous said:

A  nice bit of scratch building there John, looks great. I've taken a few notes as I plan to scratch a 1/72 Humber Pig.

Stuart

19 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning scratch building John, looking forward to seeing this with it's war paint on now

Bar raised yet again

Stay safe        Roger 

17 hours ago, vytautas said:

Seconded, really awesome build!

I have a question - how did they aim the machine guns? I don't see any openings for sights in the case. Maybe the periscopes were in sync with the machine guns?

Vytautas

Thanks to all three of you. I appreciate you ll taking the time to comment.

Vytautus. According the one of the captions in the book, the periscopes are for the gunners, but don't ask me how they are set up inside. Maybe offset somehow?

John. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vytautas said:

Maybe like the Sherman hull gunner in the film Fury. That looked like he relied on spraying tracer to aim.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StuartH said:

What a great job you've done with the turret...very smart indeed and those machine guns look superb 👏

Looking forward to seeing some paint on this.

Thanks Stuart. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

John.

Hi John you are undoubtedly the King of all things plasticard simply brilliant work mate 👏 👍 👌.  Infact I'm so impressed I'm going to open a new pack of jammy dodgers in your honour 😋👍

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Hi John you are undoubtedly the King of all things plasticard simply brilliant work mate 👏 👍 👌.  Infact I'm so impressed I'm going to open a new pack of jammy dodgers in your honour 😋👍

I think young Reg said it all.

That aside, thanks Andy for the comments. Much appreciated. (Although you've put me off my dinner).:giggle:

John.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

I think young Reg said it all.

That aside, thanks Andy for the comments. Much appreciated. (Although you've put me off my dinner).:giggle:

John.

Forget the dinner John and move straight onto the pudding....jammy dodgers and birds custard one of my favourites 😋👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Forget the dinner John and move straight onto the pudding....jammy dodgers and birds custard one of my favourites 😋👍

You can have the JD's and I'll have the custard.....or I would if the EU hadn't have stopped me bringing it in. Oh poop!

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Your turret is a little masterpiece John, (said the actress to the...)

Looking forward to seeing it painted. 

Not had that said to me in a long time!!

Thanks for the comments Darryl. Only a couple more jobs to do and then it's into the paint shop.

John.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 09:19, Bullbasket said:

I rue the day that RB Models went down.

John.

Hi John

Fantastic progress - really fascinating build.

I have seen rumours on another forum RB may be restarting. I very much hope this is true :fingerscrossed:

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, badger said:

Hi John

Fantastic progress - really fascinating build.

I have seen rumours on another forum RB may be restarting. I very much hope this is true :fingerscrossed:

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben. Much appreciated, and so is the news that RB might be getting  back into production. Let's hope that it's right.

John.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maginot said:

Very nice work indeed. The level of detail you are achieving is motivating.

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Some very nice itchy scratchy John ;)

2 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Great work John. The turret is study in scratchbuilding in its own right.

Thanks very much for all of your comments. You'll never know how accurate the comment about itchy scratchy is. That's the last time that I fuss next doors cat!! Time to change the flea collar I think.

John.

• Like 1