Israeli Improvised Armoured Car, Type 1.

4 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Great work John on spare wheel cover! Superlative and weld seams are simply perfect.

Next step, the turret๐Ÿ‘

Ciao

Filippo

Thanks Filippo for your comments. Yes, turret and front MG position next.

ย 

John.

This next postย brings me right up to date, so now I'm going to have to do some work on it. Good job Constipation St. is on tonight.....I can escape.ย :thumbsup:

Just above the curved piece over the spare wheel, is a base for the aerial for the British No.19 radio set. This was made from two squares of 10thou card and the conical base came from the kit.

d14b34af-bb48-4a93-92a1-ff2ded50acbc.JPG

ย 

Some of these Type 1's carried two or three other radio aerials. One of them is a curved tube with a base on the top. I made the tube part from a piece of Slater's 60thou rod, bent into a curve. A small square of 10thou card was then glued in place. On top of this, I glued a piece of Slaters plastic tubing, which I had turned in my drill chuck, to reduce the diameter slightly at the top. The aerials will be added after painting.

1e4aac18-8246-40f9-904a-9ec484174dae.JPG

ย 

Most of the photos that I've seen of these A/Cs show them devoid of any gear attached to them, but one or two did carry some pioneer tools, and a number had some kit and camnets hanging off of the roofs and sides. My last Israeli A/C didn't have any stowage, apart from the sand channels, so I thought that I'd load this one up a bit. So it has a pick and shovel on the rear. The two pioneer tools had their moulded on straps and brackets removed and replaced with some parts made from pewter foil and buckles., apart from the strap at the top of the shovel. I'd already snapped the shaft in two as it's very fragile, so I thought that I'd leave well alone.ย Also in these photos you can see that I've added the base which the turret will sit on.

c25f06d7-5893-472b-9d87-3b962eeb9204.JPG

ย 

83bd1a3d-3480-47a8-8f0e-16b6f28444d5.JPG

ย 

This final shot shows the V shaped tightening handles for securing the sand shields, made from 10amp wire, flattened and bent to shape.

e57cefcf-5bb0-494e-923c-2cd803f8c7b3.JPG

ย 

Right, now I'm off to do some work. Bye for now.

ย 

John.

ย 

ย 

• Like 19

Yet more modelling goodness.ย 

As Stuart said nice techniqueย with the fuse wire, now be a good chap,ย stop procrastinating and crack on!

ย 

Atb

Darrylย 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vytautas said:

As always - thoroughly and accurately. Good job!

ย 

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas. ย I appreciate your comments.

14 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Looking great, very nice work.

Many thanks.

13 hours ago, StuartH said:

This is such an interesting build to follow. Using the fuse wire so it can be flattened into shape is brilliant work and looks greatย ๐Ÿ‘

I think you need to release your own range of kits!

Thanks Stuart. The fuse wire trick is simple if you have a set of flat nosed pliers.

12 hours ago, Hamden said:

ย 

Nice progress on this one John, looking forward to the next instalment now

ย 

ย  Stay safeย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Roger

'Morning Roger. Thanks for your comments.

31 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Yet more modelling goodness.ย 

As Stuart said nice techniqueย with the fuse wire, now be a good chap,ย stop procrastinating and crack on!

ย 

Atb

Darrylย 

Thanks Darryl. I'd probably take umbrage if I knew what that meant.:giggle:

• Haha 1

Some pretty stunning scratch work here John....but your dragging it out a bit now ...four whole pages really i expect more ...now pull your finger out and get some paint on.....ahhh it's good to be backย :Dย 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Some pretty stunning scratch work here John....but your dragging it out a bit now ...four whole pages really i expect more ...now pull your finger out and get some paint on.....ahhh it's good to be backย :Dย 

And it's good to have you back. Maybe we can persuade you to build some proper armour now, insteadย of those kitty cats! As to my slow progress. Well, myย  build rate equates with the gestation period of an elephant. And if those flipping MG34's don't turn up soon, it'll be even longer. Plus, I keep promising myself to do some more to my IDF M1.....one day!

ย 

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

And it's good to have you back. Maybe we can persuade you to build some proper armour now, insteadย of those kitty cats! As to my slow progress. Well, myย  build rate equates with the gestation period of an elephant. And if those flipping MG34's don't turn up soon, it'll be even longer. Plus, I keep promising myself to do some more to my IDF M1.....one day!

ย 

John.

I'm just gonna finish the late Tiger i'm doing now then my next build should be more to your taste ...M36B1 wanted to do one for ages now ...it arrived in the post yesterday along with a very nice set of Voyager PE just gotta find some tracks as i don't want to use the rubber bands in the kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

I'm just gonna finish the late Tiger i'm doing now then my next build should be more to your taste ...M36B1 wanted to do one for ages now ...it arrived in the post yesterday along with a very nice set of Voyager PE just gotta find some tracks as i don't want to use the rubber bands in the kit.

๐Ÿ‘

Yaaaaay! The MG34's have arrived.

I made a start on the front MG position. It's basically made up from four pieces of .5mm card, cut to shape and glued together. Before assembly, I drilled a hole in the front for the gun, and gradually enlarged it with a round file. I don't know how to name this next piece (anyone know what it's called, feel free to tell me). It's the piece which the gun is mounted in and allows it to me swung around. Anyhow, I made it from a length of thick sprue, the same diameter as the hole in the gun position. I chamfered the edges with a sanding stick, and then drilled a hole in the centre ready to accept the gun. The end was cut off and glued into the gun position. I made two of these, as I needed one for the gun in the turret. This will be fitted in place later.

9b9dbef4-5848-4ebb-ac34-e8bcaa299093.JPG

ย 

Moving on to the turret now. First job was to cut out the base shape from the drawing and tape this to a piece of thick card. This was then cut out and cleaned up.

c5b35a43-659c-407b-aaab-0d0a08d6cf40.JPG

ย 

Five pieces of .5mm card were cut and glued to the five positions across the sides and back.ย Next the front upright piece was cut out, and the off centre hole cut for the MG. Then the two side triangular pieces were cut and and all three pieces were glued into position.

87d91cce-1ffb-49d6-880b-9173d142f4f0.JPG

ย 

ce18ce91-8005-4b34-88f7-ff662fba6ff0.JPG

ย 

A hole was drilled into the roof of the A/C and one into the base of the turret to allow for a thin piece of sprue to be inserted for fixing later. Using the same method as I used to cut out the base of the turret, I cut the roof from 1mm card. This was then glued to a central upright and the two glued into the turret. Once I was happy with the positioning of the roof, side supports were cut and glued in place.

43ab0893-9c39-4d8e-ba19-1dc20af8fe3f.JPG

ย 

f767ad8d-38bc-4ec9-b62e-c8ac7865e618.JPG

ย 

910cefdf-7eda-40bc-a763-11d4921d88d3.JPG

ย 

I'll be back once I've got all of the sides cut and glued, and the MG's in position. It looks a bit dog rough at the moment, but (hopefully) it'll all come good in the end.

Thanks for looking.

ย 

John.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 16

On 01/10/2021 at 17:36, Bullbasket said:

This next postย brings me right up to date, so now I'm going to have to do some work on it. Good job Constipation St. is on tonight.....I can escape.ย :thumbsup:

Just above the curved piece over the spare wheel, is a base for the aerial for the British No.19 radio set. This was made from two squares of 10thou card and the conical base came from the kit.

d14b34af-bb48-4a93-92a1-ff2ded50acbc.JPG

ย 

Some of these Type 1's carried two or three other radio aerials. One of them is a curved tube with a base on the top. I made the tube part from a piece of Slater's 60thou rod, bent into a curve. A small square of 10thou card was then glued in place. On top of this, I glued a piece of Slaters plastic tubing, which I had turned in my drill chuck, to reduce the diameter slightly at the top. The aerials will be added after painting.

1e4aac18-8246-40f9-904a-9ec484174dae.JPG

ย 

Most of the photos that I've seen of these A/Cs show them devoid of any gear attached to them, but one or two did carry some pioneer tools, and a number had some kit and camnets hanging off of the roofs and sides. My last Israeli A/C didn't have any stowage, apart from the sand channels, so I thought that I'd load this one up a bit. So it has a pick and shovel on the rear. The two pioneer tools had their moulded on straps and brackets removed and replaced with some parts made from pewter foil and buckles., apart from the strap at the top of the shovel. I'd already snapped the shaft in two as it's very fragile, so I thought that I'd leave well alone.ย Also in these photos you can see that I've added the base which the turret will sit on.

c25f06d7-5893-472b-9d87-3b962eeb9204.JPG

ย 

83bd1a3d-3480-47a8-8f0e-16b6f28444d5.JPG

ย 

This final shot shows the V shaped tightening handles for securing the sand shields, made from 10amp wire, flattened and bent to shape.

e57cefcf-5bb0-494e-923c-2cd803f8c7b3.JPG

ย 

Right, now I'm off to do some work. Bye for now.

ย 

John.

ย 

ย 

Hi John
I really like the way you build the scratch.
As a mechanical engineer, I can immediately see the accuracy here - keep it up๐Ÿ‘

MD

• Thanks 1

On 05/10/2021 at 16:08, Carius said:

Superb job so far John, looking forward to see this ready.

ย 

Take care,

ย 

Cesar

ย 

On 05/10/2021 at 16:35, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hi John
I really like the way you build the scratch.
As a mechanical engineer, I can immediately see the accuracy here - keep it up๐Ÿ‘

MD

ย 

On 05/10/2021 at 16:53, Model Mate said:

really neat work John - lovely!

ย 

Could your mystery gun mount part be a gimbel?

ย 

23 hours ago, vytautas said:

You are doing well, nice to watch your progress!

ย 

Vytautas

Many thanks to you all. Your comments are very much appreciated. BTW MM. You could be right. Thanks.

ย 

John.

Hi John. Hope you are keeping well. Well, this looks like another one of your fascinating projects in progress. I am envious both of your patience and your skills!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Hope you are keeping well. Well, this looks like another one of your fascinating projects in progress. I am envious both of your patience and your skills!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix. Yes, thank you, I'm well, and I hope that you and the Lady Stix re well too. Haven't seen any of her models lately.

I hope to do some more work over the weekend, once I've chain sawed a load of wood.

ATB,

ย 

John.

10 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Wow John. The scratchbuilding is something else entirely.ย 

Looks to be an excellent result coming up.

Hi Ivor. Long time no see. Glad to see you back here, and thanks for the comments.

8 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Amazing scratch work John, it looks brilliant. The time and effort that you have put into this will end up with a cracking model...

ย 

Ed

Hi Ed. Thanks very much for your comments. I always say that you can't beat a good scratch.

ย 

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1