Israeli Improvised Armoured Car, Type 1.

6 hours ago, phildagreek said:

That’s some fine scratching there John, very neat as well. It will look very smart with a drop of colour on it.

Thanks for the comments Phil. I've got quite  way to go before I get to the elusive Israeli OD. But hopefully in about two or three weeks time, if the outside jobs don't prevent me from getting to the model room.

John. 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2021 at 10:54, Bullbasket said:

I made a bit of a faux pas here as I didn't take any photos of the next bit of work (pillock!!). So the basics are that I fixed a third bulkhead in place to accept the roof and sides, ready for the door overlays.

Fortunately, because I'm not depicting this A/C with any open hatches/doors etc., I don't have to worry about cutting out openings. So, I cut the windscreen part from 1mm card, beveled the lower edge, and glued it in place.

5db1c062-3584-40ea-a5b3-465d2cc0d492.JPG

The side pieces between the armoured windscreen and the sides had to be cut carefully so that they fit perfectly. The lower pieces weren't too much of a problem........

55181d8e-d09b-424f-917c-3282058c47d5.JPG

d3b8befb-4d8b-4ec9-8a73-9e1488d2604a.JPG

.......but the upper pieces took several attempts. I now have several pieces of scrap .5mm triangular card lying on the bench.

7185f373-1f8f-4647-a973-bc701ba2c7de.JPG

On the right hand running board there is what appears to be a tool box, but in the photos that I have which depict this, there doesn't seem to be any securing clasps or hinges, so I just made it up as a box.

d52e6f37-9660-49de-8555-ba381da864b3.JPG

I left the gap under the screen armour as these parts wee bolted in place and not welded, so gaps appear on the real thing.

Thanks for looking and any comments.

John.

There were some holes on either side of the engine covers which were meant for pioneer tools on the original M3. These were filled with some stretched sprue and rubbed down.

Some putty added to all of the joints and then rubbed down once dry, and now it's ready for the doors and the hatch covers.

eb8c8a02-6828-4993-b07f-2c86f8f8454c.JPG

Hello John

Very cool vehicle and top job so far!

MD

• Thanks 1

only just spotted this... thats a very neat bit of scratch-building. Seeing the Body cut down to just above the wheel arch had me wondering whether it would take an anti-aircraft gun (perhaps a german quad) or even a rear facing 6-pdr.... it's tempting if I could get the 2 kits needed really cheap  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hello John

Very cool vehicle and top job so far!

MD

15 hours ago, robw_uk said:

only just spotted this... thats a very neat bit of scratch-building. Seeing the Body cut down to just above the wheel arch had me wondering whether it would take an anti-aircraft gun (perhaps a german quad) or even a rear facing 6-pdr.... it's tempting if I could get the 2 kits needed really cheap  

Many thanks to you both for the comments. Much appreciated.

John.

I managed to get quite a bit done over the past week, so here's a catch up.

I cut the doors out from two pieces of 10thou card and glued them in place. These door weren't a flush fit, but instead, sat proud of the surrounding body work.

91ff7034-971e-463a-902e-55d8ae35de7f.JPG

44476b3b-89ad-41c9-9583-7f39b534c248.JPG

The hatch in front of the driver's position was cut from 10thou card also, and scored down the middle. I cut a square hole to one side, and inserted an armoured cover with hinges. The main hinges were added to each corner from 10x30 strip and stretched sprue.

927252db-5a5c-4bd1-9eb7-044583f4613c.JPG

The ventilator on the roof was cut from 1mm card, and the opening at the front was achieved by filing the inside of the top. Next to it on the roof, sits a periscope for the gunner. This was made from a couple of parts from the kit, intended for the .303MG mounts. A slot was filed in the base to accept the periscope, which was drilled out and then backed with a thin piece of card. Then it was glued in place. It's a little undersized, but who's to know?

dc672631-3715-47b9-8d71-1ec9b7a50563.JPG

Hinges for the doors are thin strip and stretched sprue, and the same for the fold down upper part of the door. These have also had four bolt heads added. The door handles are pieces of scrap PE, with the end filed round, and then bent to shape and super glued on.

2161f6ce-c270-4823-ac4b-7dd67a905178.JPG

Started to add some of the gear sometimes carried by these vehicles. One thing that was always carried were British pattern sand channels. These came courtesy of Hauler. Once bent to shape, they were super glued in place, along with securing brackets each end. There were some more bolt heads to add just below the channels and above to the left, plus some on the side engine covers.

77d9a105-bca8-41aa-b040-b97f081eac28.JPG

I've done a bit more, but I'll leave that for another day.

John.

• Like 16

14 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up John,

This is brilliant. I can only marvel at the way you take a piece of white plastic sheet and create what you do! 👍

Regards,

Steve

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Very nice workmanship John this is really coming together now!

Soon be time for paint

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks both for the comments. Painting is still a way off yet, thanks mainly to the people who I ordered the MG34's from. Every time that I check my order, it says "processing"!!. I had this with them (Martola) once before, and ended up cancelling the order after two weeks. To quote the US sportsman It looks like it's deja vu all over again!!

John.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Blimey John, that does look good, I just don't know how you do this, brilliant workmanship here, stunning...

Ed

4 hours ago, vytautas said:

Beautiful work John, absolutely gorgeous!

Vytautas

Thanks for the comments Ed, Vytautas. They're really appreciated. I thought that this build would be much the same as the Type 4 that I built......but it's not! There's a helluva lot more work involved, especially in the detail. But, that said, it's what I enjoy. The real fun will be a Type 2. Apart from the chassis, it's a complete scratch build.

John.

This next bit, although small by comparison with other jobs, was probably one of he most difficult that I've ever done, and that is the small, curved shield, on the rear of the vehicle, just in front of the spare wheel. As well as being curved, the forward edge has to be vertical, whilst the rear edge is about 45 degrees. The way that I tackled this was to cut a circle from 1mm card, the same diameter as the spare wheel. I then lightly glued the paper to the edge of the card around 50% of the circumference. I drew on to the paper where the card edge was and did the same for the rear. This was then removed from the card circle and cut out, and the shape applied to a piece of 10thou card. I cut a rough approximation of the shape and just kept trimming it until I was (reasonably) happy with it. A lot of effort for just one piece, but an important item for this vehicle, as not carried by the Types 2,3 and 4 A/C's.

ac3cdfc3-5dfd-4107-94b3-6775a11eb7b8.JPG

82da89fa-aa75-4d6d-a67e-7fe1c7359df1.JPG

934e3ffa-1af2-4275-9f3b-e1beaed5721f.JPG

Once that was complete, it was time to find a spare wheel. I had an Italeri one, left over from the Type 4 build. It's not perfect by a long chalk but it'll have to do as I don't have any alternatives. It was only after gluing the two halves together and comparing it with the Hobbyboss ones, that I realised that it was a little on the thin side. If I'd have realised before, I could have sandwiched a disc of card between the two halves. Too late! I drilled out the centre and cut off the bolt heads. Where the bolts had been, I drilled through, but my accuracy was off, and a couple of the holes were on the edge of the centre hole. So I cut a card disc and glued that in place and started again. Once I had the holes where I wanted them, I made a retaining bracket from thin scrap PE. This was glued in place on the inside of the wheel, and bolt heads were added to each end. Next, a couple of support brackets were bent to shape from some wider pieces of scrap PE. These act as the seat that the spare wheel sit in. When I was satisfied with all of the parts, they were glued in place.

136f378a-3c48-465e-b8a9-b5b00cdda625.JPG

693cfb4a-2eb7-45d9-94fd-37b03b99bbe5.JPG

72e07cd7-0f18-4f05-b7a2-6cfdaa06f088.JPG

Again, I've got a little more to add, but I'll save it for another day. Good news is (for me) that Matola have posted the MG34's to me, so I can now make a start on the turret and front gun position.

ATB,

John.

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks for that Andy. Good to hear from you.

John.

I may not be building any kits atm John but I'm enjoying viewing all the great builds on the forum yours included 🙂👍

• Like 1

That is some brilliant detail you've added there John. I don't envy you making that curved shield...sometimes the most apparently simple looking shapes can be the most difficult to make look right...it looks spot on! And those brackets are just perfect 👏

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, StuartH said:

That is some brilliant detail you've added there John. I don't envy you making that curved shield...sometimes the most apparently simple looking shapes can be the most difficult to make look right...it looks spot on! And those brackets are just perfect 👏

17 hours ago, edjbartos said:

It really does look smashing John the extra effort that you have put into this is making this look great, brilliant detailing...

Ed

5 hours ago, badger said:

A fantastic build - really enjoying following this!

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Think it's all been said!

Great work John,  particularly like the spare wheel clamps and brackets. :like:

Atb

Thanks to you all for your comments. I really do appreciate them. At least I put the spare wheel on the right way round on this one, unlike what I did on the Type 4. :facepalm: And yes, you're right Stuart. That curved cover was a RRPITA.

John.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:31 AM, Bullbasket said:

Once that was complete, it was time to find a spare wheel. I had an Italeri one, left over from the Type 4 build. It's not perfect by a long chalk but it'll have to do as I don't have any alternatives. It was only after gluing the two halves together and comparing it with the Hobbyboss ones, that I realised that it was a little on the thin side. If I'd have realised before, I could have sandwiched a disc of card between the two halves. Too late!

John.

Just say it's one of those new fangled space saver spare wheels :rolleyes:

Gondor

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Maginot said:

Nice work. Isn't it satisfying fabricating modifications? The spare wheel recess is very nicely done.

It certainly is. Thanks for the comments.

John.