Israeli Improvised Armoured Car, Type 1.

Realising that I'd made a cock up with the position of the window in the rear plate. I removed it and made another one. This was easier than filling it in and cutting a new window. Once the new plate was in place, I made a second bulkhead, two side plates and the roof and glued them into position. When it had all hardened, I applied Milliput to all of the joints.

f26f1fbe-91f1-4d84-b95f-3a123a380342.JPG

a2689a15-4346-41a9-abcb-efd8f0460ef4.JPG

15d56072-bcc1-41ef-a309-f16ad4f6a284.JPG

bd4b6126-d6a4-43ca-ae6f-3c77dd46b079.JPG

Before moving on to the sloping part of the roof over the cab area, I needed to fix the engine side covers and bonnet in place, otherwise I could be left with gaps in the sides.

0359c93c-86e3-4589-b51c-36a759ffe208.JPG

I removed the moulded on grab handles and replaced them with ones made from .5mm brass wire, bent to shape.

c68de656-6b58-4df0-a4b8-8038909546bb.JPG

One last bulkhead to go, and then I can start to put some detail on it. Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

I love the new details you make, I know it’s a challenging but enjoyable occupation. And I know from experience how slow this process is and how much patience it takes. It's great that you're doing well!

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautus, I always appreciate your comments. I have to admit, this type of modelling interests me more than actual kit building, but I have my limitations.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I have to admit, this type of modelling interests me more than actual kit building, but I have my limitations.

Thank God we all have limitations, especially in modeling! If not for those restrictions, we became crazy... :)

Vytautas

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I say John you make this look easy.

Looking forward to seeing it completed, will it get the turret too?

Atb

Thanks Darryl. I wouldn't say that it's easy, but it is enjoyable. Yes, it will get a turret. I've got to work out whether it will get the 8 or 9 sided turret first. I scratch built one for the Type 4 that I built a couple of years ago, and it wasn't a problem. I've just got to get hold of a couple of MG34s. RB Models don't seem to have any at the moment, so it'll have to be Aber.

John.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

RB Models don't seem to have any at the moment, so it'll have to be Aber.

John.

Hi John

Great progress so far. Sadly I heard that RB have stopped production which might explain why they seem so hard to find.

Kind regards

Ben

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

Hi John

Great progress so far. Sadly I heard that RB have stopped production which might explain why they seem so hard to find.

Kind regards

Ben

Thanks Ben. That's a bummer if that is the case, as RB were top quality and best prices.

John.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That looks so good John, the time and patience in doing what you have done has really paid off, looks brilliant...

Ed

21 hours ago, Model Mate said:

This is coming on really nicely - very neat work.

Thanks to you both for the comments. 

John.

On 13/09/2021 at 14:32, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Ben. That's a bummer if that is the case, as RB were top quality and best prices.

John.

Yep - completely agree. Aber do some good stuff but they are much more expensive sadly

• Like 1

I made a bit of a faux pas here as I didn't take any photos of the next bit of work (pillock!!). So the basics are that I fixed a third bulkhead in place to accept the roof and sides, ready for the door overlays.

Fortunately, because I'm not depicting this A/C with any open hatches/doors etc., I don't have to worry about cutting out openings. So, I cut the windscreen part from 1mm card, beveled the lower edge, and glued it in place.

5db1c062-3584-40ea-a5b3-465d2cc0d492.JPG

The side pieces between the armoured windscreen and the sides had to be cut carefully so that they fit perfectly. The lower pieces weren't too much of a problem........

55181d8e-d09b-424f-917c-3282058c47d5.JPG

d3b8befb-4d8b-4ec9-8a73-9e1488d2604a.JPG

.......but the upper pieces took several attempts. I now have several pieces of scrap .5mm triangular card lying on the bench.

7185f373-1f8f-4647-a973-bc701ba2c7de.JPG

On the right hand running board there is what appears to be a tool box, but in the photos that I have which depict this, there doesn't seem to be any securing clasps or hinges, so I just made it up as a box.

d52e6f37-9660-49de-8555-ba381da864b3.JPG

I left the gap under the screen armour as these parts wee bolted in place and not welded, so gaps appear on the real thing.

Thanks for looking and any comments.

John.

There were some holes on either side of the engine covers which were meant for pioneer tools on the original M3. These were filled with some stretched sprue and rubbed down.

Some putty added to all of the joints and then rubbed down once dry, and now it's ready for the doors and the hatch covers.

eb8c8a02-6828-4993-b07f-2c86f8f8454c.JPG

• Like 16

2 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks great. I know how difficult it is to connect so many panels at different angles, although at first glance it seems simple. You really did a great job!

Vytautas

2 hours ago, StuartH said:

That's some satisfying looking geometry going on there....you've obviously been hitting those trigonometry calculations!

Great work as ever and look forward to seeing more progress on this interesting  vehicle 

Thanks to you both for the comments.

Once I get to the stage where I'm fitting the weapons, I'll take a break from this and get back to the Sherman. No luck in trying to get a pair of MG34's from RB Models. So I've been on the hunt for a pair from Aber. The only French stockist wanted 16.48 euros, plus P&P. I managed to get a pair from Martola in Poland for 13.33 euros, free P&P. Guess which one I went with. Shame that RB are no longer with us as their's were 2.80 euros each.

John.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nice progress John, really taking shape now. I'd guess it's pretty satisfying creating something rather unique too.:clap:

It's so unsporting of RB to cease production/trading without any warning,  sure most of us would have loved the opportunity to stock up!

Does make you wonder how one firm can do them so cheap and another...otherwise!

First Fruil (difficult to obtain) and now RB...it never rains but it pours....:huh:

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice progress John, really taking shape now. I'd guess it's pretty satisfying creating something rather unique too.:clap:

It's so unsporting of RB to cease production/trading without any warning,  sure most of us would have loved the opportunity to stock up!

Does make you wonder how one firm can do them so cheap and another...otherwise!

First Fruil (difficult to obtain) and now RB...it never rains but it pours....:huh:

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. Yes, I find this type of modelling very satisfying.......when it goes right.

I agree with you about RB. If I'd have known, I would have got a bulk order in with them. I didn't know about Fruil though. I hope that they are not going under, as I like their stuff. All it needs is for Panda to go belly up and I'm snookered!!

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Darryl. Yes, I find this type of modelling very satisfying.......when it goes right.

I agree with you about RB. If I'd have known, I would have got a bulk order in with them. I didn't know about Fruil though. I hope that they are not going under, as I like their stuff. All it needs is for Panda to go belly up and I'm snookered!!

John.

Last thing I heard regarding Fruil was they are only going to supply direct to the customer as opposed to supplying Historex, Hannants etc..

I can't verify this but that is the rumour. 

Surely John if anyone knows anything about Panda it would be you,  being the Panda PR and EU sales rep!

• Haha 1

Hiya John great work so far mate you're scratch building is excellent 👏. Seeing a "car" build in the armour section has given me an idea for a future project but for now I'll grab my jammy dodgers and follow along 🙂👍

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Surely John if anyone knows anything about Panda it would be you,  being the Panda PR and EU sales rep!

Ah, what you have to remember Darryl is with Panda, nothing is black and white. Oh! hang on a minute.🐼

John.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Hiya John great work so far mate you're scratch building is excellent 👏. Seeing a "car" build in the armour section has given me an idea for a future project but for now I'll grab my jammy dodgers and follow along 🙂👍

Hi Andy. Many thanks, and it's good to see you back on the proper modelling area. But I'm afraid that ALL jammy dodgers have to be left at the door.🪰 I'm sure that these creatures will luv 'em.🪰

John.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Looks really good John, you can tell that you enjoy the scratch building, it looks brilliant..

Ed

Thanks Ed. Yes, I certainly do. The devil's in the detail.

John.

• Like 1