XV-4 Hummingbird (1/144 Anigrand) - - - Ready for Vertical Take Off - - -

bianfuxia

I just discovered this Blitzbuild with less than 24 hours to go so I raided my stash for something I can realistically build in that time.

LockheedXV-4Hummingbird.jpg

(public domain pic)

This is the XV-4 Hummingbird experimental VTOL plane made in the 1960s by Lockheed. According to wikipedia:

The Lockheed XV-4 Hummingbird (originally designated VZ-10) was a U.S. Army project to demonstrate the feasibility of using VTOL for a surveillance aircraft carrying target-acquisition and sensory equipment. It was designed and built by the Lockheed Corporation in the 1960s, one of many attempts to produce a V/STOL vertical take off/landing jet. Both prototype aircraft were destroyed in accidents.

Anigrand has a 1/144 kit which I was generously gifted by @rafalbert recently. 

IMG_20210830_190202354-scaled.jpg?w=1440

I'll post a time stamp when I start later tonight but as the GB is already into its last 24 hours it's pretty clear I'll be doing the Bruce Wayne Option. All at once or nothing at all!

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 7

I love these Anigrand kits in 1/144. For those who don't know, they come as a set of three "mystery kits" when you get one of the 1/144 "Huge Bird" collection - in this case it comes with the C-141 Starlifter (also in resin!).

They're often quick and easy to build but also nicely detailed for a resin kit of this size.

IMG_20210830_211634763-scaled.jpg?resize

Construction mostly complete...

and then painted in Vallejo US Dark Green - about the best match I have in my small collection of green paints.

IMG_20210830_214004839-scaled.jpg?resize

I'll put the wheels on next, so I can see if it's a tail sitter or not. If so, there's a bit of space in the cockpit where I can stick some weight. There are actually two seats for that space but the canopy is pretty thick. So on balance I'd rather have it sit properly than have the seats. We'll see!

• Like 2

It's an epic tail-sitter! I'd need some plutonium to hold it down.

IMG_20210830_232319171-scaled.jpg?resize

So, onwards:

IMG_20210830_234239179-scaled.jpg?resize

Since that pic I've done the canopy too. Tomorrow morning's tasks:

. the few decals

. black anti-glare

. nose probe paint

. wheel bay doors install.

• Like 6

I got up early-ish this morning and finished this one off. 

IMG_20210831_082249747-scaled.jpg?resize

The decals didn't take long. Turns out I only have one side of the markings - the left side of the plane is presently blank. I'll have to dig around the mess downstairs to see where they are.

The rest was pretty straightforward - painted the long nose probe white, the anti-glare black and the exhaust area Tamiya XF-16.

IMG_20210831_083102390-scaled.jpg?resize

I'm calling it finished. I can't figure out how the landing gear doors go - the instructions don't show it at all and none of the few pics or clips I can find online show it either. They are thick and overscale and also tiny so I am going to leave that until I have a brainwave about it. 

Here's a few shots I put in the gallery.

thanks for looking!

IMG_20210831_083351124-scaled.jpg?resize

IMG_20210831_083502715-scaled.jpg?resize

IMG_20210831_083514451-scaled.jpg?resize

IMG_20210831_083542040-scaled.jpg?resize

• Like 1

• bianfuxia changed the title to XV-4 Hummingbird (1/144 Anigrand) - - - Ready for Vertical Take Off - - -