Spraying Vallejo primer

KrisW77

Hello everyone in need of some help with airbrushing Vallejo primer. Does the primer need to be thinned to spray as I've attempted to spray it without thinning and it seemed abit thick so I've thinned it and it just seams to make a mess. It doesn't stick to the model and it spattering quite badly. I'm using a H&S ultra at about 20 psi. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

What are you thinning it with,as anything other than water seems to make it go into a glumpy mess, also I gave up on Vallejo as a primer and the Stynylrez primer types due to them not sticking to the plastic.

A nightmare if you have to mask over them, I stick to the solvent based types

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above - I had the same problems with both Vallejo & Stynylrez - basically peeling off styrene for fun.Ā  I now use Halfords grey spray primer.Ā 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, colin said:

What are you thinning it with,as anything other than water seems to make it go into a glumpy mess, also I gave up on Vallejo as a primer and the Stynylrez primer types due to them not sticking to the plastic.

A nightmare if you have to mask over them, I stick to the solvent based types

I'm using Vallejo own thinners.

I never quite understand these complaints. But I'm not going to be one of those people who trot out "never had a problem" because that really annoys me and it's not helpful. So I will try to give some pointers. Just keep in mind that without being able to watch how someone uses a product, I may overlook some error which I haven't thought of.

1. Don't spray it like Badger or Ammo One Shot. Light coats; spray close enough; and pull back just enough. Primer coats should not be thick.

2. Use enough pressure to allow your airbrush to atomise it properly. That may not be the same as what someone else recommends, but your 20psi is a long away from what I use.

3. Mix it properly. Never in the cup.

4. For most nozzles, thin it slightly with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner and nothing else.

5. Never use smaller than a .3mm or any airbrush which has poor atomisation.

6. Keep the tip clean.

All that I can say with certainty is that anyone who uses it as I use it should get the same result. A hard surface of soft-sheen finish which is sandable (yes, it is sandable) and can stand up to paint wear techniques including HS chipping and scrubbing. I have tried many primers and always come back to Vallejo.

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When i used to use it i found that Vallejo air brush cleaner worked better than their thinner. Ultimate thinner worked ok too. Like others above i no longer use it and now tend to prime with Tamiya XF1 Flat Black as it tends to stay on the plastic. Have used Halfords auto primers too with good results in the past.

Ā 

Regards,

Ā 

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ade H said:

Ā 

2. Use enough pressure to allow your airbrush to atomise it properly. That may not be the same as what someone else recommends, but your 20psi is a long away from what I use..

So what pressure would you spray at?

Ā 

I

30-33psi with the trigger down, which is within what Vallejo suggests and within my airbrush's recommended optimum range. But, as I hinted above, there is only limited worth in my answer because I doubt whether we have the same airbrush and compressor. Another person may give a different answer again and it doesn't necessarily make either of us wrong. I struggled with some airbrushing tasks until I stepped away from the mainstream advice, read the manual, and experimented.

Edited by Ade H

4 hours ago, Ade H said:

30-33psi with the trigger down, which is within what Vallejo suggests and within my airbrush's recommended optimum range. But, as I hinted above, there is only limited worth in my answer because I doubt whether we have the same airbrush and compressor. Another person may give a different answer again and it doesn't necessarily make either of us wrong. I struggled with some airbrushing tasks until I stepped away from the mainstream advice, read the manual, and experimented.

I'll give those pressures a go and see if it helps. I haven't had the airbrush long so I think like yourself I just need to experiment and see what works for me. The compressor is a garage compressor which will run a windy gun without any problems so there's plenty of airĀ  it's just very loud!

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with the Vallejo white primer, it turned out the primer was spoiled so I replaced it and everything is fine.

I tried everything until I bought a new bottle.

You can spray it neat but maybe through a bigger needle.

I generally thin it with Vallejo thinner 50 50 and apply several coats until the colour is uniform.

I also wipe down the plastic with panel wipe before applying the primer.

It's good stuff once you get used to it.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1