Scania 142 flatbed crane truck - FINISHED

I started on the crane. It's fun but it will probably take a good while, which is fine of course. This kit is really good and the instructions are excellent. I will just have to keep reminding myself to take it easy and triple check everything before moving on. 

First thing was to sort out the different types of rods and tubes. There's a list in the instructions, most are listed in imperial measurements which can be expected from a UK based company, so that's fine too. However, I have no idea what 3/16 of an inch looks like so google answered these questions for me. 

The tubes are in their appropriate spots. Don't start shaking that box now....

20210911091227-55f11c6d-me.jpg

This is the result after the first 3 steps. 

20210911091228-8ce8b923-me.jpg

It's all very precise so I hope I'm getting it right (enough).

Step 4 is about placing the mounts. It will look something like this but the mounts on the left need to be fitted to chassis size. 

20210911091229-a6d8d8b6-me.jpg

This means I will now build a part of the chassis to make sure the position of the mounts is correct, before moving on and glueing them.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That looks to be as much of an engineering project as it is a modelling one Jeroen, very neat work.

You're right, it is! It's somewhere between kit and scratchbuilding. It's very well thought out I must say. 

• Like 1

NICE!!!!  🥰

The mould work on the resin looks very nice, much cleaning up required?

I live in a country that has had the metric system for decades, yet my company does all it's pipework on jobs in imperial... go figure! :wall:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

The mould work on the resin looks very nice, much cleaning up required?

They are nice. Virtually no cleanup required. 

• Like 1

So, in order to check the position of the crane, or rather the crane supports, I built the chassis. That was a quick job. 

20210913212608-4f10405d-me.jpg

The crane's front mounts are fixed, the rear ones adaptable to fit the chassis width at that particular point. U-bolts are to be placed arount the chassis beams, connecting the crane to the chassis. By testing the position of the crane I became a little wiser but not much, as I still could not determine a final position for the crane. It should be placed right around where the chassis tapers so I can't really be sure until I know how wide the crane will be, and where the cab wall will be. So I decided to leave the rear mounting blocks off for now, they can be easily glued on as a final step. 

I worked on the crane a little more and added two more mediums: white metal and etch. 

20210913212609-40cecf61-me.jpg

Again, measurements were precise but I think so far so good. 

20210913212609-e77a110d-me.jpg

• Like 11

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Who’s wheels are the resin ones?

They're from https://www.kitformservices.com/ .... I just bought a whole bunch of stuff this weekend, the owner is retiring this year. There is talk of new ownership, but you never know which products will be continued. So I bought enough for about 7 trucks. 

27 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

They're from https://www.kitformservices.com/ .... I just bought a whole bunch of stuff this weekend, the owner is retiring this year. There is talk of new ownership, but you never know which products will be continued. So I bought enough for about 7 trucks. 

I better grab a few things then. Hate to see another caster go away.

Slowly but surely bits and pieces are added. Valve block and control levers, and the outrigger legs are started. 

20210916072238-b5d69d13-me.jpg

The observant will notice that the piece of PE, here on the left, is in a different place. 

20210916072238-8963ff59-me.jpg

I misread the instructions, there was a correction in the text for the position of the control lever block but I thought it was for the PE part. I read too quickly. A little damage to the white plastic was done when removing the PE but that was easily repaired. The PE itself, luckily, is quite thick so it came off ok and was re-attached at the proper spot. 

I'm quite enjoying this intricate build. 

• Like 6

Did some more work on the crane yesterday evening and this morning. The outrigger legs are complete, it's all movable as well. 

20210918113026-267fcc9d-me.jpg

20210918113025-ae1ad5f0-me.jpg

20210918113025-7a757c65-me.jpg

20210918113026-6baa35df-me.jpg

This is the first phase of the build, next up is the crane itself.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I can see it's been quite a while since I worked on the crane. Been doing a lot of construction work in the garden the past couple of weeks and didn't feel like doing anything else. But tonight was a quiet night and I felt mojo returning. I dug out the crane parts and started on some of the bigger resin pieces, adding mainly etch but also some other mediums as you can see. It still is an enjoyable build. 

20211021213934-ea57fd53-me.jpg

20211021213933-8886f6b4-me.jpg

Sadly I was not able to source decals for the crane, they were not available at the time I bought it and are not available anymore. It will probably look a little bare without a brand name and such. Well. Let's finish construction first. I might have some more time tomorrow evening. 

• Like 7

That's another one of the main components done, I think this is called the main boom. This is the underside. 

20211022204131-b5192e06-me.jpg

The protruding pieces of rod will be cut to size later on. 

The top side. Piping will be installed in the other ends of the circular bits that hold the rods. 

20211022204130-b7858b85-me.jpg

It's now time to start work on the "secondary jib", which is the piece of the crane that extends and ultimately holds the hook. I'm starting to get really curious how it will look when all the components are attached. At this point, there are only 2 resin pieces left, some styrene rods and tubes and 2 large pieces of rectangular tube which will form the jib.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

A little while later and I've completed the first part of secondary jib. Also, my 1:1 work in the garden is now finished so from now on I'll have more time to spend on this build, not a moment to soon either. 

20211104221249-ba784f03-me.jpg

20211104221250-bf2adad6-me.jpg

It connects to the main boom like so

20211104221250-f4a669e6-me.jpg

20211104221251-97ca5fc5-la.jpg

And then finally we should end up with something like this

20211104221248-5fd51833-me.jpg

The ram sleeve's connection to the underside of the main boom came loose when I put it in this position, but this is how it is supposed to end up. We'll see how that turns out, I don't much care for it being moveable anyway, it's not that I'll be playing with it. It just has to look convincing, and so far it does that nicely. 

• Like 13