Mythical Draken - Completed by magic.....and alcohol!

On 10/31/2021 at 1:56 PM, trickyrich said:

oh ok, I thought it was a re-paint as demarkation between the 2 colours shown as straight lines and not curved.

Have been searching or any photos of this particular aircraft and haven't found any yet..................

....................ARRRRRR I should have gone to my fav Russian search engine!!!! Just found some, and she's more weathered than I thought, and the colour differences are huge!!  And the red is quite vivid with no panel lines...though it looks a bit over saturated to me!

comment_PTsGXk9wCridcR7fhSKvo9nV52ic2Uhs

Those new painted panels are one colour, quite a bit dark blue and the red is really solid, not too hard to fix, and I will leave the stores off....bugger I just ordered some rockets for her too! :doh:

Wow, Spöket (Ghost)!

My favorite Swedish Draken special livery! I saw this aircraft in some Swedish air show about 1990. I remember and my photos confirms that the red was pretty bright. It was quite common for Drakens to have their rear fuselage replacefd with a part in fresh camouflage.

Greetings,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

Ok not as much done today as I had hoped, that Alclad Klear is tough stuff!!

I was hoping to have had her next coat of clear on today, but I decided to let the decals settle properly first. Am wanting to get this build out of the way so I can spend more time following the rest of the builds…… am very time short at the moment!  :frantic:

Well first job was to try a fix the leftover blobs from where I spilt the clear, not an easy task at all that Alclad Klear gives you a super tough finish……..I can tell you for a fact. 

It’s now even more patchy and I have to do a few touch-ups, not a big drama just a bit of a pain.

Next on with the decals, I see Eduard decided to play “Where’s Wally the Decals”!!! :blink:  Nice decals but the numbering is all over the place, not helped by slightly vague placement instruction and extra decals that don’t seem to go anywhere… and these decals are for this model as well!

IMG_6433-L.jpg

IMG_6434-L.jpg

IMG_6435-L.jpg

Anyway, she looks super cool, really happy with how she looks.

Next up a touch up, clear, panel line, and more clear and she should be done!

• Like 17

• trickyrich changed the title to Mythical Draken - Ghostly decals on???
1 hour ago, PattheCat said:

That's a cool Nord, for sure. I'm searching for a new varnish to put over Vallejo metallics, you have convinced me to test this Alclad stuff.

I was super surprised at just how well it went on and the finish, but there again I've only just started using the rest of the paint range and I'm sold on that!!!

1 hour ago, Col. said:

For a kit you kept putting off working on this is looking great Rich :wub:

Oh yea of little faith!!!  :D  Least now I won't have you lot giving me a hard time about it! :tease:

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Oh yea of little faith!!!  :D  Least now I won't have you lot giving me a hard time about it! :tease:

You haven't finished it yet.

• Haha 2

arrrr I can always rely on the "gruesome twosome" or as I affectionally refer to them as "Tweedle Dee" and "Tweedle Dum"! :rofl2:

you just wait until I get my 1/32nd Draken!!!  :tease:

Actually...does anyone know if "66" every carried stores or drop tanks? I sort of assumed she may have and I added pylons and have bought a pair of RB28's but none of the photos I have show her carrying either.  Worse comes to worse I'll just leave the pylons on.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Actually...does anyone know if "66" every carried stores or drop tanks? I sort of assumed she may have and I added pylons and have bought a pair of RB28's but none of the photos I have show her carrying either.  Worse comes to worse I'll just leave the pylons on.

Right, stop moaning and pay attention, page 15 of Jan Jorgensen's book on the Draken has a photo of 66 in flight carrying a pair silver droptanks and empty wing pylons :)

edit - you also need to add the flipping great big aerial ahead of the tailfin for her to look like the photo.

Edited by Col.
  • Haha 1

cool that's sorted....... and I didn't even have to buy the book for the answer either!!  Score!!! :thumbsup:

I'll just add a normal antenna/aerial to the tail as the "flipping" ones are out of stock!   :rofl2:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, helios16v said:

You and clear, I swear...... :chair:

yes well i've had some dramas with this one, I have to re-paint a couple of sections, not so good with the decals on!! Have moved this one to one side and am building something nice for a bit....trying to se I can get the urge back to finish her!!

Alclad Klear Kote Gloss is NOT a lacquer based clear, but an enamel based one....... I found out the hard way! :wall:

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

yes well i've had some dramas with this one, I have to re-paint a couple of sections, not so good with the decals on!! Have moved this one to one side and am building something nice for a bit....trying to se I can get the urge back to finish her!!

Alclad Klear Kote Gloss is NOT a lacquer based clear, but an enamel based one....... I found out the hard way! :wall:

I also didn't know Alclad had non lacquer based products (besides aqua gloss). Sorry for you and good luck. I'm sure you'll find a way to save the day.

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Have moved this one to one side

Oh dear, back on the mythical shelf is she?

I am sorry to hear that you have had issues with the gloss Rich, and especially that you need to repaint a couple of sections as she really was looking very nice indeed. I hope you find the inspiration to finish her off.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:18 PM, modelling minion said:

Oh dear, back on the mythical shelf is she?

I am sorry to hear that you have had issues with the gloss Rich, and especially that you need to repaint a couple of sections as she really was looking very nice indeed. I hope you find the inspiration to finish her off.

she's not quite on the "Shelf of Doom", just sitting there out of the way for now, the F-4B & F-14A are hogging the work bench at the moment.

I will complete her for sure, need to do a wee bit of masking to re-do where all the paint was removed!! 

But don't worry the Mythical Draken will arise before the end of the GB!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Neither will I be able to finish in time, Rich @trickyrich

Any progress on saving your Draken?

yeah I should be able to with luck. Though i have distractions a plenty and not Xmas/food/booze based other! :D  I bought the Kitty Hawk Su-22 on the weekend, then masses of AM stuff for it (inc the underside correction bit), it's to keep me off evilBay until the F/A-18 STGB starts....well so much for that! Plus the decals for my F-4B have finally arrived as well!!!! :yahoo:

So holidays start for me on the 24th, so I'll make a special effort to get the Draken sorted else I'll never hear the end of it from certain members!!!!

• Like 2

:poke:

Is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

:bleh: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D

Now we have extra time I have extra time to procrastinate! :thumbsup:  No work has had me busy, though my F-4B decals have shown up and the main ones are on, AND THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: She looking amazing, not for the 10 billion wee ones! :blink:

• Haha 6