The French American - 1/72 F-100 Super Sabre *FINISHED*

helios16v

With Ragnar just around the corner, and F-4 STGB underway I'd best get moving on this and see if I can get it shuffled along in reasonable time.  This will be a no frills build, pretty much out of the box to get it cleared out of the stash with just a couple scratch adjustments.  Kit decals for E.C. 2/11 out of Toul AB will be used.

51411812538_9a6318bc37_c.jpg

• Like 11

Oh yes!!  Very, very pleased to see one of these in the GB.

The old ESCI kit is a very serviceable kit, hopefully you'll make good progress with this, looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Any questions about paint schemes etc, I have the EM-37 book and should be able to help.

Welcome to the GB and good luck.

Made some good headway yesterday.  Didn't quite get her to primer stage, but we're not far off.  Getting bogged down on gear doors are they are being fitting in the up position to mount on a stand inflight.  I'm using one of the pilots from the Diana twins, which has been "adapted" to fit the cockpit.

Cockpit reinforcements added.  I'm never 100% comfortable with just glue on 1 cockpit side edge...

51411006027_f7a5d198be_c.jpg

Not much will be seen of the cockpit, especially once the pilot is fitted, so I didn't go too crazy on detailing.  Just basic coloring and drybrush to bring out molded details.

51411747561_3fa5f95eca_c.jpg

Where I left off last night before calling it a night.  There is a small step on the lower rear fuselage that I'll need to sort out, and a sliver gap around part of the intake on the nose.  For the most part though things have fit up pretty well.  Panel lines even lined up left to right using the alignment pins.  The gear doors on the wings were too thick, so I decided it will actually be less work to cut new ones from sheet using the original doors as templates.

51412507894_7412fdcea7_c.jpg

51412731840_26c4384a9c_c.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Oh yes!!  Very, very pleased to see one of these in the GB.

The old ESCI kit is a very serviceable kit, hopefully you'll make good progress with this, looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Any questions about paint schemes etc, I have the EM-37 book and should be able to help.

Welcome to the GB and good luck.

According to Scalemates, the Revell kit derives from a newer Italeri new tool version. There seems to be no link to Esci. Until I just looked that up, I was about to agree Wez, as I had always thought the Italeri release was derived from the Esci. Maybe Scalemates is incorrect on this one?

Regardless, the Italeri kit is certainly one that scrubs up very well. I have one in the stash.

Great to see a french version too.

Terry

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

According to Scalemates, the Revell kit derives from a newer Italeri new tool version. There seems to be no link to Esci. Until I just looked that up, I was about to agree Wez, as I had always thought the Italeri release was derived from the Esci. Maybe Scalemates is incorrect on this one?

Regardless, the Italeri kit is certainly one that scrubs up very well. I have one in the stash.

Terry

Terry,

You're right, the seat and cockpit are the dead giveaway, these are much more detailed in the Italeri kit and Chris' photos show just that - I sit corrected, thank you sir!  Thinking about it, it makes sense for it to be the Italeri kit because Revell have reboxed many, many Italeri kits.

Chris, you're making good progress so far, well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

I’ve built both Esci and Italeri and, while similar, they are different. Of the two my preference is the Esci. I have used Trumpeter kits as donors too, for wings, fins, etc. Definitely the Italeri, and probably the Esci, needs aftermarket wheels. The kit parts are wrong in dimension in every way.

Martin

• Like 1

Ooh, thanks for the link Patrice!  That'll come in handy.  I'll have to check the decals and see if the actual airframe happens to be in those pics.

• Thanks 1

Cockpit finished up.  Pilot seated.  Gear doors and other misc underside attachments fitted.  Just need to get the canopy fitted/masked and the other inner pylon installed and it will be ready for primer/paint.  Looking forward to get this one pushed off the desk.

51425134706_a33a2cabcd_c.jpg

51425383398_eb17e9d51b_c.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

It's currently in paint and I'm experimenting w/ some burned/heated metal effects.  I didn't want to get to carried away for a first attempt, so it is on the lighter side.  I'll be experimenting with a bit more weathering as I go.  This one has turned into a guinea pig of sorts.

51502081663_251b8b7f2b_c.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Decals are now complete.  However during my final decal session I noticed I made a monumental screw up...I masked (and painted) a rib that I thought I saw in the canopy.  Turns out that "rib" doesn't exist, so now to try to salvage this.  Got the canopy off in 1 piece at least.  :wall:

51573965291_44280926ae_c.jpg

• Like 3

Not perfect, but we're going to call it good enough.  All that is left is a bit of weathering, installation of the stores, and figure out what I'm doing for a base.

51575097865_0eb23809ab_c.jpg

• Like 11