F-4J(UK) - Tamiya (1/32)

Greetings all, 

This has been a long-time 'as and when' project that I completed this weekend - Tamiya's 1/32nd F-4J finished as an F-4J(UK) of the famous 74 'Tiger Squadron' in the mid-1980's.

It was built more or less out of the box, but with Mastercasters' FOD covers and YellowHammer decals. Paints were all Xtracolor enamels. 

It's the first time I have added crew figures to a model as my daughter requested that the pilots should be in it. I might add crews in the future as it adds a bit of life to the cockpit!

All the best,

Tom

Pic 14

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Pic 11

Pic 12

Pic 13

• Like 53
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

That looks terrific! I never thought about doing an RAF F4J with the Tamiya kit. Going to have to add it to my list.  You say out of the box, but does it need any mods to make it UK?

Thanks for sharing!

Many thanks! To be honest I have no idea if the UK J-versions were any different to the US examples - I’ve just built it as a standard J-model. The only thing I did leave off were the catapult hooks and these were not used in the RAF machines as they were not needed. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Lovely to see the F4-J with roundels. Great build - very clean finish. How is the Tamiya kit to build?

Q

Thank you - appreciated. 

The kit is really quite straightforward to build, but it’s not up to current Tamiya standards being 25+ years old now. The fit is generally good, but the intakes need a bit of blending into the fuselage sides and the trunking is poor - hence the FOD covers on mine. 

The insert for the metal areas behind the jet pipes is also a little narrower than the fuselage, so this needed a sprue spreader to reduce the step/gap, but other than that it’s a breeze. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Beautifully done as usual Tom. I've also started adding more pilot figures to models for the same reason.

Good to hear it still goes together well... I've found that generation of big, very expensive Tamiya jets a disappointment (the two I've made, anyway!) which always pushed me toward the cheaper Revell versions in the past. 

Alan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Beautifully done as usual Tom. I've also started adding more pilot figures to models for the same reason.

Good to hear it still goes together well... I've found that generation of big, very expensive Tamiya jets a disappointment (the two I've made, anyway!) which always pushed me toward the cheaper Revell versions in the past. 

Alan

Thanks, Alan. As I said earlier it is starting to show it’s age but it’s still Tamiya after all...

I’ve  built a Revell Phantom and enjoyed that too - the older Revell kits are quite nice I find and I have the F-15C and F-15D in my stash too. I’m currently doing the new F/A-18 and that’s a different story altogether unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

A really  lovely build, but to make is better you need to arm the aircraft with  AIM9L sidewinders and Skyflash missiles. not those strange things you have fitted now!🧐

Selwyn

Thanks, Selwyn. As I said I just built this out of the box and as it came - I did wonder about the missiles actually but for a non-Phamtom fanatic I’m not all that bothered 🙂 

18 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Great looking clean model

Love the drop down steps did you make those from scratch.

Appreciated, Tony - the drop down steps are part of the kit. Tamiya provide a nice crew access ladder too but I haven’t got around to that yet. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Thanks, Alan. As I said earlier it is starting to show it’s age but it’s still Tamiya after all...

I’ve  built a Revell Phantom and enjoyed that too - the older Revell kits are quite nice I find and I have the F-15C and F-15D in my stash too. I’m currently doing the new F/A-18 and that’s a different story altogether unfortunately. 

Thanks, Selwyn. As I said I just built this out of the box and as it came - I did wonder about the missiles actually but for a non-Phamtom fanatic I’m not all that bothered 🙂 

Appreciated, Tony - the drop down steps are part of the kit. Tamiya provide a nice crew access ladder too but I haven’t got around to that yet. 

Crew ladders are only there for wimpy observers and RAF milk drinkers

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 12:40 PM, tomprobert said:

Ahh I see,  you spend all that time and effort on the colour scheme, weathering, cockpit details and decals, but  missiles, you know the most important thing on a military aircraft after all its what the whole aircraft is designed for, to carry them? hey who cares?

Selwyn

• Haha 1

Really smart build and good panel detailing. Brings back some memories as I served at RAF Wattisham in the early 90s when 56 and 74 Sqns were there. Also saw one up close being refuelled in the air which was awesome. I have had a 56 Sqn Firebirds kit in the loft Revell 1:48 which is now wetting my appetite after your pictures!

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Ahh I see,  you spend all that time and effort on the colour scheme, weathering, cockpit details and decals, but  missiles, you know the most important thing on a military aircraft after all its what the whole aircraft is designed for, to carry them? hey who cares?

Selwyn

To be honest I'm more or less an out of the box builder for kits such as this. I have lots of complex builds on the go at any one time, and a shake and bake such as this is light relief so I don't get too hung up on the details. It simply doesn't bother me - if I was really into total accuracy I would have no doubt researched the missile load out further and spent some of my pocket money on an after-market set or the like. However, I just enjoyed building it for the fun of it. If I felt inclined, I could have painted it florescent pink and still enjoyed it :)

1 hour ago, Madman33 said:

Really smart build and good panel detailing. Brings back some memories as I served at RAF Wattisham in the early 90s when 56 and 74 Sqns were there. Also saw one up close being refuelled in the air which was awesome. I have had a 56 Sqn Firebirds kit in the loft Revell 1:48 which is now wetting my appetite after your pictures!

That must have been awesome!

I vividly remember a Biggin Hill airshow in what must have been the mid-80s and two of these circling above my house waiting for their display slot. We're not too far from Biggin and they were low and slow - simply marvellous!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

If I felt inclined, I could have painted it florescent pink and still enjoyed it :)

A 'Hello Kitty' Phantom. 

No this is not a suggestion someone should do it. 

-- 

Looks really smart, that 'Toom in 74 colours.   

*ponders*  do I have space for a 1/32 one? 

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

To be honest I'm more or less an out of the box builder for kits such as this. I have lots of complex builds on the go at any one time, and a shake and bake such as this is light relief so I don't get too hung up on the details. It simply doesn't bother me - if I was really into total accuracy I would have no doubt researched the missile load out further and spent some of my pocket money on an after-market set or the like. However, I just enjoyed building it for the fun of it. If I felt inclined, I could have painted it florescent pink and still enjoyed it :)

That must have been awesome!

I vividly remember a Biggin Hill airshow in what must have been the mid-80s and two of these circling above my house waiting for their display slot. We're not too far from Biggin and they were low and slow - simply marvellous!

To me its simply the difference between a great build and a fantastic build.

Selwyn

• Like 1