How are the mighty fallen! - British Mk. V Tank - FINISHED, COMPLETED AND DONE!

16 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

y4m5P2ulUXeTTFwiIx_ntNVqICrW0v3wZmSij6Yj

This area is a bit boring, isn't it? There's nothing in the way of a little damage practice.

y4mGavgIIJrhTklmovpvPjtfs2VnrV4u9cle1iRp

Here's my weapon of choice.

y4mkQX8eltWYKCj9i56wZqXAIuOa-K8bMERd6mz6

I thinned down the plastic and then punched through with a sharp implement.

y4mJXnLuUSowsYfCZQEPiXuLbiNBwvYJHHkp70lz

The next hole was to stop at the panel line so I cut that first with a razor saw.

y4mdwC0B-0PApX0ryg-yB7xlhBFmQ6Nq1-HsWwPS

And then thinned up to the line.

y4mhsQqNX2KxKCFA_EfvRr_th8iwGkR4Sk_yFmvQ     y4mvz5GhzQmmUxtjxNLaBfyIHCKnqTqevZnw2cFn

Interesting, I thought. When I paint it I'll be able to show the red white red markings flaking away from the impacts.

y4mGgxZ_yATrjpSzRgelXrGhhEj8PCpDqDuqp9zP

I painted and polished the track runs while they were getatable, but its all going to be hidden, assuming that I follow the plan and leave the track on this side. It's useful practice for the other one though, which is going to be severely mangled. I've found a photograph of some useful damage which I want to incorporate but I'm keeping that to myself until later, for dramatic reasons. Believe me, it's very dramatic and much better than my lame 'sponson fallen off' plan. 

y4muQ3TroUPxfLGk376Ijowy579jbMafupADylft

Some random splinter damage to intensify the planned chipping. The chipping on the inside will be waaay over the top!

y4mcD4bhnwI9VmQXoeJUMtNhXguV_Ib77YbW1ma6

Lining all of those axles up with their sockets was, how shall I put it, interesting! 

So we now have a completed side plate assembly to build upon. Next will be the back end with the fuel tanks, the floor, and then the port sponson. They will all have some small modifications carried out by impact damage but only of a minor nature. After that everything will be a shambles and on purpose, for once in my moddelling career.

Hey Bertie

The impacts seem to be getting closer and closer 😁💣
Fine work!

MD

• Like 1

I've just read through this entire thread and must say I am mightily impressed with both the work to date and the plan going forward. I will continue to watch and read with interest. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hey Bertie

The impacts seem to be getting closer and closer 😁💣
Fine work!

MD

It's complicated stuff isn't it? I mean working out plausible damage scenarios and putting them into execution, deciding how things have to be painted and when. I'm finding that 'When?' is a very important question. In what order must I do things, now that I've abandoned the instructions? It's exercising the old noggin famously!

4 hours ago, Mr Bowcat said:

I've just read through this entire thread and must say I am mightily impressed with both the work to date and the plan going forward. I will continue to watch and read with interest. :)

Welcome aboard Mr Bowcat, I try to keep up the momentum. It's getting very exciting for me at this point, and also a bit worrying because there are so many things I want to happen without knowing how to make them so! Thoughts of the diorama are looming over me already. I really haven't a clue. (But YouTube does, I trust.)

I've just enjoyed a lovely evening's moddelling. The dog was asleep after a long walk and nothing disturbed me, not even my stomach, and that's unusual. I generally eat my main meal at five but it's now eight o'clock and I didn't even notice. I'm currently writing, uploading photos and cooking simultaneously, and suddenly really needing to upload that cottage pie - thank goodness for frozen leftovers!

y4mQVD4A0blACzKyBQfLJC2KvDOW16sCE_erZO2C

Creative damage is the theme for today. That is the fan housing which I believe I posted above? It looks a little different now it's been downrange of a three inch shell's explosion. Made from thin metal, it surely would have been shredded and well as flattened by the internal explosion, particularly since both ends are open to the atmosphere outside. Unfortunately, I dared not flatten it because I still have to be able to fit it in there and space id going to be a lot tighter than I'd imagined. The Mk V looks the size of a removal van but it turns out to be as full as a loaded removal van too. There was hardly room to dodge a bullet in there. Anyway, shredded will do. I've revealed the actual fan housing through the hole so I'll be painting that very gingerly in the next few days.

y4mpWeUIiRdIaz2cfY_L_0-UwnD8YbKu2IS7rDVW

These are the three fuel tanks which were carried at the back of the tank, outside the armour, although with their own armour plate protection, in the style of the later T-34. It wouldn't be that much of a problem for the crew if the fuel burned as the fire would mostly be on the ground. I need to burn it for the discoloured paint, soot and other special painting opportunities, none of which I've done before. I decided that the tanks were damaged by the shock of the incoming shells, leaked and then burned and softly exploded, knocking off their armoured lids and revealing themselves. I shredded the tops for interest though I've absolutely no references to go on here. I may have to set fire to my car and take some photos...

[Ah, the food is in front of me now. And my first drink since noon.]

y4maFa0NkCpb5RuFaDM3WBEOwf39qf0NNELau0Hc

Back to that fan housing. There's no radiator core included in the kit and this will be visible once I've 'blown the bloody side off' so something had to be done.

y4mm0fxQlM_z_KE0z8zbxGdtOohcBabprhspQSTy

'Take One' was to engrave the vertical tubes on a thick piece of plasticard. Meh! I didn't like that.

y4mc3J9jx0RdPw14waPYqydVbMw57Y07CFg-6iEm

We are going old school. I stretched some sprues and cut the best bits for use. It took a long time to get parallel and similar diameter pieces. I remember learning this technique from an Airfix Magazine in the sixties and getting in awful trouble for the burning plastic in my bedroom. Those floating black sooty smuts really annoyed my parents! And the toxic gasses I suppose!

y4mHehoC_Nb_9IESSmjsFFo4MpPsiSkMOqSJd9S4

I glued them to that piece of card, the sprues not my parents, using the engraved lines to keep things straight.

y4mBYupZf3KLIWMiRJ89QoWYiB2PYnVOci3RyJ02

Trimmed to size, it's looking good, but there's a twist. I only glued the tops and bottoms of the 'tubes'...

y4m6gD6HpO3BfCPqj410_aJygbY-Y5oN--9x5dTr

So the radiator could be burst asunder.

y4mknA3f3sKLpjURC8E6ZHeOTKBcRD9tTKqRjcO-

It won't be quite this visible but you get the idea. 

y4mgpVx2IjXti2CeHBkMUQ3erSqmokPcAw9y8um3

Then I applied myself to the engine housing. The shutters are hanging from a single hinge and the front, where the shell came from, has been thinned and shredded. Written down like this, I don't seem to have actually achieved that much for my four hours of work. Maybe the BBC iPlayer slowed me down as I've also been enjoying bingeing on Luther, a light hearted cops and robbers program, which I recommend heartily.

First thing next session will be a bit of painting and then assembly of the fuel tanks, back wall and floor. I'm hoping that I'll then be able to start installing the insides. It may be that the engine etc will have to be fitted to the floor before the floor is fitted to the side, which will be a major pain in the neck, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Must dash, it's time to eat!

• Like 12

18 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's complicated stuff isn't it? I mean working out plausible damage scenarios and putting them into execution, deciding how things have to be painted and when. I'm finding that 'When?' is a very important question. In what order must I do things, now that I've abandoned the instructions? It's exercising the old noggin famously!

Indeed!
What always concerns me is what is behind the damage and what construction would be seen.
If you bend 2 riveted steel plates and you can see a gap, there must be some connecting piece behind it, such as a flat or angle iron.

spacer.png

Then the question arises whether the rivets have been welded from the inside (so that they do not injure the crew when they burst).
Unfortunately, I only found out about this after the fact with my Grant project, so you can see what has to be taken into account 🧐
A good example are your burnt wooden planks. One wonders (if no pictures of the interior are available) how they were fixed.
I agree, building a destroyed vehicle means a lot of thinking.
Don't give up 💪

MD

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Don't give up 💪

Oh, I won't be giving up. It's far too enjoyable. I'm learning a lot, about tank construction of course but more interestingly, about my own facility for patience and planning. I said at the very beginning that this would be a slow build, but I'm still going a little too fast and making silly thoughtless mistakes. Maybe I'll learn to be less impulsive through this project? [Hahahahahahahahahaha! Not likely.]

I do know that I'll look at the completed diorama and for months afterwards see things that I could have done better, and that's alright because if I don't allow myself to make mistakes I'll never make anything. The only unforgivable error would be for me to stop having fun.

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Maybe I'll learn to be less impulsive through this project? [

I have the same problem.

"I know how to do this!" I say, launching into fitting things together.

"Why  won't this bit fit?" (Looks at destructions for first time) "Oh!" :wall: "It goes on BEFORE that bit......................."

Great WIP. Keep up the good work. :goodjob:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, echen said:

I have the same problem.

"I know how to do this!" I say, launching into fitting things together.

"Why  won't this bit fit?" (Looks at destructions for first time) "Oh!" :wall: "It goes on BEFORE that bit......................."

Great WIP. Keep up the good work. :goodjob:

In my case, "I'll paint that first" 

Two minutes later "Where's that bit for painting?"

"Oh, it's under that canopy I just glued down"."

• Like 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to How are the mighty fallen! - British Mk. V Tank - Full Interior, Battle Damage and Diorama - Creating Destruction

y4mSyq40Hve7z2lsRWLwaQ5DYjt9ZAPRaYiH4sf0

I took a shortcut again today and skipped the primer stage for these miscellaneous internal areas.. This is Tamiya Paint thinned with Mr Colour Levelling thinner so I'm at least confident that it will stick.

y4mOr5vsSEglwWJZy_OocIX-twyn2kxNjeu6pZu2

Static electrical effects have made the paint/thinner combination avoid some of the corners. At first I was dismayed but thinking about it, there's going to be lots more painting happening to these surfaces. Mud and dust and oil and blood and smoke... This irregularity will be nothing but an enhancement. 

y4mNQiiOPp5bcItD1qT2YEf_612xc_rpRcjyW2pR

The instructions called for black fuel tanks, fillers and pipes but I don't believe that. I would bet a tenner that they are referring to a hundred year old museum exhibit that's had black paint daubed on the rusty bits several times before our modern concern with accurate conservation. So I went for good old grey. I'll paint the fillers in a contrasting colour and the pipes too. It all adds interest if not accuracy.

y4m5h9Z0tjPpIA1VB9g8nKmk1FA67pBwGe2YnC0n

I did go with the hull red suggestion for the radiator fan housing, but I left some grey in the airbrush to tone it down a little. I also blasted the grey into the holes for shading, before the red. Much more 'weathering' is due here too.

And that's all I've found time for today. I've spent some time on my French Fancy Group Build entry. It's a Renault Taxi and 3 French soldiers on their way to the Battle of the Marne in 1914. If you like the Mk V you may enjoy the taxi so please take a look. It's almost finished and then I'll be able to  work on the Mk V full time.

• Like 6

On 09/10/2021 at 16:53, Bertie Psmith said:

Oh, I won't be giving up. It's far too enjoyable. I'm learning a lot, about tank construction of course but more interestingly, about my own facility for patience and planning. I said at the very beginning that this would be a slow build, but I'm still going a little too fast and making silly thoughtless mistakes. Maybe I'll learn to be less impulsive through this project? [Hahahahahahahahahaha! Not likely.]

I do know that I'll look at the completed diorama and for months afterwards see things that I could have done better, and that's alright because if I don't allow myself to make mistakes I'll never make anything. The only unforgivable error would be for me to stop having fun.

I absolutely agree with you!

• Like 1

I'm sorry loyal readers but I've made no progress during the last few days owing to a sprint finish on that Taxi de la Marne project. I finished that today and needed a few hours at least to enjoy that 'completion feeling' before getting back to this beauty - full time. I've cleaned and tidied up my workspace, taken delivery of new paints for the figures and the weathering, and new brushes too. In short I'm all prepared and ready to go ... tomorrow.

y4muQFnh7QN_j2yTYR2BL5xwnlNAsa2hlUP90nzX

I made the corner of the box, into which and on which everything else has to fit. It was a good fit and has glued in solidly which is a comfort to me. 

Clearly, I need another coat of interior white before going much further.

y4mJCqtkLFd5cx-Mebz859YYvtpw2Wlz_n8YzjUZ

I made this. It's called a crib and is a trench crossing device, an improvement of the earlier fascine which was a couple of tons of sticks bound together with cables. I'm not sure why I bothered as I don't plan to use it. 🤷‍♂️

y4m_vE--aXcGhA-9rXc2ad16U4rM19XvPRnqUxWI

Then I cleaned up a ton of ejection marks and held the roof to the box while I pondered for an hour how I'm going to explode it. I haven't a clue yet. In the morning I might have an idea. If not I'll have to repeat the process until I do have one.

Edit: As soon as I started the washing up, I had an idea. 🙂

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks. There will be a few of those appearing later. I assume that the stock has darkened over the century?

No.  That's the colour is left the factory.  Its immaculate - matching serial numbers and the original barrel.  I've whipped the mag out so you can see the colour of the wood where its not been exposed to light.

512CA389-DAB3-45C5-8BE2-917FA1A34CE0

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, simmerit said:

That's the colour is left the factory. 

Ah, thank you very much. 

I was studying your first picture and contemplating the right hand grip part of the stock. With that little hook behind the hand and the chunky trigger guard in front, it makes a perfect grip for powerfully thrusting and retrieving that great big bayonet. No risk of the hand slipping in the gore.

3 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Ah, thank you very much. 

I was studying your first picture and contemplating the right hand grip part of the stock. With that little hook behind the hand and the chunky trigger guard in front, it makes a perfect grip for powerfully thrusting and retrieving that great big bayonet. No risk of the hand slipping in the gore.

I guess not, but I've not had a bayonet on it just yet! 

I put half a dozen rounds a year down it and no more.  It has an outing at the end of the month.  It has a mean kick.  Great piece of kit.

Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

Twelve seconds' worth of aimed fire at 1914 BEF rate.

Indeed, but mine is two rounds per shoot, three shoots per annum to keep plod happy.  It's a museum piece really.  Not a lot of Mk 1, No1s about that haven't been deactivated.