How are the mighty fallen! - British Mk. V Tank - FINISHED, COMPLETED AND DONE!

2 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

I also buy them in 100 cases in pharmacy cause they're cheaper, in model stores its a robbery!

Cheers

LM

It's the same with disposable pipettes. in a model store they are two for a pound but direct from China, if you buy 10,000 they are almost free.

[Yay! Page Eight!]

Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

It's the same with disposable pipettes. in a model store they are two for a pound but direct from China, if you buy 10,000 they are almost free.

So true! In my case i buy them in the veterinary because its very handy, when I go there with the cats and the dog, and they are also very cheap.

The other thing I also buy in pharmacy are the wooden tongue depressors sticks, that are also very useful...

Cheers

LM

• Like 1

Seen your complete posts and must say you're  doing there an amazing job... really. Don't know if you're building or destroying, but that doesn't really matter, its getting outstanding!

I also use the same spray bay you have... well almost the same because i don't have exterior exhaust so it goes directly to the filter with high speed fans  I've made.

Cheers

LM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Don't know if you're building or destroying, but that doesn't really matter, its getting outstanding!

Thank you. To be honest, I don't know either. It's not the result that matters though, it's the fun I have trying to get there that counts!

• Like 1

I'm with you! The only thing that matters is the fun we have! The rest is irrelevant! Anyway the work you're doing is amazing.

Watching your post and seeing some Humbrol cans remembered me that I have somewhere lots of those cans... must search for them and maybe use it... if they're still in good condition, because they have maybe 30/35 years...

Cheers

Paulo

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

I'm with you! The only thing that matters is the fun we have! The rest is irrelevant! Anyway the work you're doing is amazing.

Watching your post and seeing some Humbrol cans remembered me that I have somewhere lots of those cans... must search for them and maybe use it... if they're still in good condition, because they have maybe 30/35 years...

Cheers

Paulo

If the lids are kept clean and not distorted, Humbrol paint lasts forever. And you, my friend, I think kept the lids clean and straight?

On 11/3/2021 at 4:25 PM, Bullbasket said:

Looks like he had a dodgy curry

And that made me spit my dinner out in laughter. 😆

The poop coloured paint is supposed to represent the stuffing of the seat rather than the stuffing of the driver but I for one will never be able to see it that way again. 🤮

• Haha 4

I'm stalled over the diorama aspect of this one. I'm letting the old subconscious work it out for a while but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, don't be shy. It has occurred to me that I'm over complicating things given my relative inexperience in this field (or ditch). Maybe I should just do a plain base and let the tank and figures tell the story without spoiling things by being over-ambitious.

In the meantime, I'll try to get the tracks and other tank stuff done and then make a start on the figures.

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm stalled over the diorama aspect of this one. I'm letting the old subconscious work it out for a while but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, don't be shy. It has occurred to me that I'm over complicating things given my relative inexperience in this field (or ditch). Maybe I should just do a plain base and let the tank and figures tell the story without spoiling things by being over-ambitious.

In the meantime, I'll try to get the tracks and other tank stuff done and then make a start on the figures.

You could do a  trenches  dio.

Erk.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ERK said:

You could do a  trenches  dio.

Unfortunately, no I couldn't. That would be far too complicated for my skill level

6 hours ago, echen said:

Or build an operational tank passing by to take up some space in the dio?

I did consider that one. The trouble is, I can feel my interest ebbing away already and introducing a whole other vehicle at this stage just kills my enthusiasm dead dead dead.

7 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

simple dio base of a bit of suitably rough ground with some nice rubble and debris strewn around, without getting too complicated... just to set the scene for the tank and figures..

That's the way to go. I'll apply the KISS principle. It might just fit on my display shelves if I take that approach. I'll abandon the grave digger theme and just have a couple of Tommies chatting as they look at it. I think that was my original plan eight pages ago. 😏

Thanks for all the ideas guys, it's helped clarify my thoughts. Now to get on with it!

• Like 2

y4mkZt_9kX6Yel96KTI94XD14O2SrCv45feJaEqH

This should help me get back on the job. Weren't tanks known as land ships at one time? Seriously, the book is supposed to cover all manner of wrecks including armoured vehicles. I've been impressed by these books in the past and have great expectations of this one, ordered today.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:59 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm stalled over the diorama aspect of this one. I'm letting the old subconscious work it out for a while but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, don't be shy.

If it's not too late to offer another suggestion, how about a couple of civillians inspecting the scene ?

9 hours ago, Richard E said:

If it's not too late to offer another suggestion, how about a couple of civillians inspecting the scene ?

I never even thought about civilians. How curious. My unconsidered mental picture of the WWI battlefront population is incorrectly limited to male, white, adult, military (mostly infantry) and  human. I must diversify my assumptions.  

I suppose contemporary civilian figures are available, I never really looked. The vast majority of model figures seem to fit my own narrow minded perceptions. But then, so do the majority of vehicle kits. Generally speaking, we do ‘toy soldiers and their tools of destruction’, don’t we?  🤔

y4mBtV9i1co6R8YBSAErRjXxvFEnElekVElgG88b

I have cut down and adjusted the levels of the base I made earlier. I can still tilt the tank towards the viewer and there's room in front for two or three soldiers and some debris. And that will do. No tree, no hedge, no grave. I can cope with this much, I think.

• Like 6

I think the figures you have will work well Bertie. Perhaps a couple of the soldiers looking at the carnage would surfice, no need for the officer (heard that alot when i was in the Army 😆).

George

Re: The Weathering mag. Bertie, have a look for the title K.O. and Wrecks as well (or message me and I'll copy some relevant pages for you).

About figures looking at the damage, I'd suggest only doing that if the whole group can look at it convincingly, or with one turning away. 

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

y4mBtV9i1co6R8YBSAErRjXxvFEnElekVElgG88b

I have cut down and adjusted the levels of the base I made earlier. I can still tilt the tank towards the viewer and there's room in front for two or three soldiers and some debris. And that will do. No tree, no hedge, no grave. I can cope with this much, I think.

I'd say that's going to be perfect, you've lots of scope for some nice groundwork and debris, without distracting from the tank itself...

As regards the figures, if I had come across this scene with one or two of my comrades, I'd certainly be having an interested peek inside one of them new fangled tank things.... ;)

3 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

I think the figures you have will work well Bertie. Perhaps a couple of the soldiers looking at the carnage would surfice, no need for the officer (heard that alot when i was in the Army 😆).

George

Agreed. I think two squaddies and an NCO. Three is usually good for compositional purposes

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

interested peek inside

Or horrified glimpse of the carnage

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

I don't know what clothing woukd be correct for the period but here are some possibilities 

How about three interested soldiers looking at the wreck and this guy walking past without a second glance.

https://fieldsofglorymodels.co.uk/collections/all/products/1-35-scale-grandfather-with-baske

That would tell a good story.

Thanks for the steer!

• Like 1

I assembled one of my Tommies today. This is a Master Box figure and it's really really really good. The equal of any Games Workshop figure and in a similar waxy plastic too, the kind that makes removal of mould lines a doddle.

y4mgwCzrs08fIlvrpkLf5BAxRkVmoP9Wag1a_ubl

It still needs a rifle sling and a bit of filler here and there. The pose, with the weight on the right leg because of the weight of the rifle is so natural.

y4mXEwSkAoHOr39ly0VcTc8WapOaLEXL2RKnYSQJ

That big gap in the small of his back was my fault. I got the assembly sequence wrong. It will be easy to sort out with a little Milliput.

y4mhW_XpFDxzvymNccn7jmj942b6t1NodPIPjpeO

I like it when a standing figure stands up on its own. That says to me that the pose is right.

y4mLdHHhnaulk7aJkw7GFHvUdozC1q0-ifq2coWK

The only mod I did was to undercut the inner jacket a little.

y4mIXe0KOrnlOW7Wv8PrFbKBkOI-aW7A-O1eb-tr

And that's how well the leg cleaned up with a swipe from the back of a scalpel.

I'm a very Happy Hector today.

• Like 7