Porsche 962 Tamiya from Shell to Jagermeister WIP

oldman

Hello

I purchased the above kit to be completed with the Shell sponsor from 1988 . I did not check what was in the box besides knowing it had no engine . Big mistake . When i opened the box i was surprised to note the whole shell was bonded with the clear acrylics . The second surprise was not being able to remove the front light cover so you could not paint the side wall . Then came the mess of painting twice  color over color with the interval of the given masks , Having done that i waited a day and removed the masks including the clear ones . What i got was a blurred windshield and headlights caused by the glue in the masks . Then came the huge black decal to place on the top which would never settle properly . The model was a mess . I saw some modelers painted the top black but even that does not solve the issues since there is a lot of white lines around the cockpit . I lost interest and packed it up . A few days went by and having calmed down i thought of saving the kit . After all i'm stuck at home so why not . First step was to fix the clear acrylics . Out came the sanding paper and stick set from Tamiya and i started with sanding 360 grit 3 mn then wash . Then followed 650 ,1000 , 2000 , 4000 , 6000 , 8000 and to finish 10000 , all 3 mn and wash . Then i applied the Tamiya polish set of 3 tubes and the acrylics were saved  see photo . Then i ordered from Indycals the Jagermeister decal set and waiting for them to arrive any day now . Stripped the paint and decals using toyota clutch and brake fluid , primed and painted orange with a touch of red . Then came the issue of the missing engine . Since the 962 was basically a 956 with the IMSA mod spec with larger front and rear wheels the engine used was the same basically . Note that this model has the airducts for the rear brakes . i decided to add the engine . As per photo i cut off  a spare engines gearbox from the crank and drive shaft using a Dremel and added the bulkhead as per photos .I will now complete the build as per kit standard instructions and post the photos after the decals arrive .

1174 1173 1172

Edited by oldman
  • Like 1

One very important point to note: the 962 is longer than the 956 to put the pedals behind the front axle centreline. So if you want to do an accurate 956, you'll have to remove the extension in front of the door 'A'-post on each side. It's a very obvious difference between the two. You'll also be doing a sprint car, whereas IIRC the 'Shell' kit is a Le Mans long-tail?

AHHH yes , sorry my mistake , i meant that !! here is copy of the decals i'm waiting for 

https://flic.kr/p/2mjYLTQ

and here is the engine placed at correct distance from bulkhead attached to intercoolers and wastegate , i dont know what i'm going to do for exhaust pipes . Next comes the oil cylinder and rubber tubes while waiting for the decals . Once decaled I will coat it all with clear while covering the windshield and headlamp covers followed by a polish  .https://flic.kr/p/2mjYAAk

Edited by oldman
  • Like 1

• oldman changed the title to Porsche 962 Tamiya from Shell to Jagermeister WIP

Always nice to see a 962.

The livery you have chosen is really nice :

spacer.png

It's a shame that both Tamiya and Hasegawa (reboxed by Revell) have failed in making a nice 962 kit.

Personally, I prefer the Hasegawa kit. The front fenders need some major rework, but I prefer doing that then dealing with the fixed clear parts of the Tamiya kit.

Are you gonna remove the engine cover from the body ? Would be a shame to hide all the details that you added.

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 1

here are pics of todays work which was completing the engine build in the car and placing the oil 1mm rubber hoses and braided lines to engine and gear box . the ideas are from walk arounds . I used a Tamiya scriber and the cutting went well . I then sanded and painted the edges  . You will note that the exhaust pipes are still missing  ,they are 3 in one's so i might use trumpeter brass tubing for that . Waiting for the decals to arrive from the US any day now and will then post final images . 

• Like 2

Jägermeister will always be a classic livery.

Nice how you've wrangled the engine into Tamiya's rather basic 962. Do you now have an engine-less 956?

i am now in the process of scratch building the exhaust pipes from 2mm brass tubes (Trumpeter) and the  pipes connecting the intercooler to the turbo below the crank in styrene (sprue) . I am waiting for some paints to arrive next week and will post the engine pics again when ready .

• 2 weeks later...