The French "Goddess", Citroën DS 21

One of the nostalgic cars of my youth that I have wanted to build was the sleek and elegant Citroën DS 21.  Ebbro did make kits of the DS 19 and DS 21 versions but they both have been discontinued and very difficult to find on the web. However, I was very lucky to find and order an Ebbro  DS 21 kit from a shop in Cornwall.

The Citroën DS / ID cars are front-engined, front-wheel drive executive cars manufactured from 1955 to 1975 in various different configurations. During those years Citroën built a total of 1,455,746 examples of this car type. They were the first mass production cars equipped with self-levelling hydropneumatic suspension and disc brakes. Citroën was also the first car manufacturer to introduce directional headlights to a mass-produced car. The name DS is actually a pun in the French language. "DS" is pronounced exactly like déésse, literally meaning 'goddess'

The Ebbro kit was of excellent quality and I had no problems in assembling the model.  There were a lot of detailed parts and nice features like the opening bonnet and front doors.  The most special feature of the kit were the directional headlights. They are connected to the turning wheels and they really turned. The only complaints I have are about the instruction leaflet. It had a lot of ambiguities and omissions.  Moreover, some of the parts were not at all marked in the leaflet.  

I chose dark brown or marron for the colour of the bodywork. The shade was as near as I could find to "bordeaux" that Citroën home pages gave for the respective colour. The following paints were used for the model.

Tamiya TS-11 Marron  -  bodywork

Revell 88  -  Floor and upholstery 

Humbrol 62  -  Leather seats

Humbrol 85  -  Black parts

Humbrol 3  -  Gloss green parts

Tamiya X-26 Clear orange - turn signals

Tamiya X-27 Clear red  -  brake lights

In all, the Ebbro kit was really a pleasure to build. Its quality was easily on the level of Tamiya car kits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The beauty and the beast of Citroën, The 2CV and DS 21

• Like 25

6 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Fantastic looking goddess, perfect colour combo and very clean built 

Congratulations 

Marco F 

Thank you Marco!

Cheers,

Einar

13 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

A beautiful model of one of the coolest cars ever made. Really nice work. 😎

Thanks Bobby,

Einar 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking work Einar, lovely pair of Citroens! Really like your colour choice for the Déesse...! 👍

Keith

Thanks Keith

Einar

8 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Very elegant and well modelled  :)

Thank you!

Einar

7 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

That's a beauty Einar! Really lovely looking cars and you've captured that early "luxury" look really well with that colour. 

Thanks Jeroen!

Einar

29 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

That is very nice!  As has been said earlier, the colour is just perfect for the car.  Bravo!

Trevor

Thanks Trevor!

Einar 

6 hours ago, Natter said:

A beautiful model of one of my favourite ever cars. Some friends of my parents had two, and a Mini Moke.

Thanks Natter!

Cheers,

Einar

That's a beautiful model, I'm glad it's a good kit as this is one I've got tucked away.  Funnily enough people suggested maroon for my build and I wasn't sure but having seen your build, it's a great colour.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, johnlambert said:

That's a beautiful model, I'm glad it's a good kit as this is one I've got tucked away.  Funnily enough people suggested maroon for my build and I wasn't sure but having seen your build, it's a great colour.

Thank you John!

Einar

• Like 1