Revell 1/48 F/A-18E Super Hornet, my first painted scale model.

Hello there, Henrik here :)

A few months ago (3 to be specific), I finished my first painted model, a a Revell 1/48 F/A-18E Super Hornet after more than 6 months, as I started work on it in November last year. 

I got it as a gift, and I chose a Hornet because (unpopular opinion(?) ahead) it's one of my favourite fighter jets, as it looks so sleek. 😄 I agree that the Hornet will never replace the Tomcat, but I consider it a worthy successor. It does the job well, and it kinda looks sick (with the Super Hornet being chonkier, a fat Hornet :rofl:)

In case you're wondering why it took me so long, it's due to school, time constraints and procrastination. Sometimes I want to start work on it but then remember that I have to do other stuff later and then put the modelling work off  When I do start work on it, it's hard to stop though, hahaha 😆.

And also, I was planning for my second painted model to either be a plane or a car (either Revell and Tamiya planes, or Tamiya cars, specifically a Supra :D). But a few months ago, I saw a cool Bandai X-wing kit at a department store and couldn't stop myself. I'm currently  using it to practice my skills, especially in painting and weathering. I have also tried many new techniques like masking canopies.  Oh, and I got myself a Revell BAe Hawk 1/72 for my second painted model, I can't wait to start on it 😎 (once I finish the x wing of course)

Here are pictures of the Super Hornet, enjoy~

Also entirely brush painted of course, don't have an airbrush (yet).

UticmK9.jpg

3NtPPBe.jpg

DWrUU1v.jpg

ovLFjPR.jpg

^ The left wing, which looks wrong, came like that in the box probably due to a defect. I know I should have got a replacement from Revell but I was too excited to build the model 😳sLtlKyo.jpg

vonPNFQ.jpg

9CVh5Dz.jpg

W3psebl.jpg

^The foggy canopy was because I tried to remove the seamline by sanding and polishing but I can't get any polishing compound so I had to leave it foggy.

UqMhqHe.jpg

pdkDQ3t.jpg

^Cockpit, which was the first part I painted and looks the worst.

ZmeS2cE.jpg

FmyRWPe.jpg

2suRwUM.jpg

Constructive criticism and critique welcome!

Overall, I enjoyed the process and loved every part of the build. I made lots of mistakes, some of which are pretty obvious, some not so, but I too learned a lot and look forward to proceeding ahead in my journey of starting this hobby and look forward to build more models. Thank you for reading, and be sure to comment your thoughts :D 

Edited by Henrikkoh
stuff :)
  • Like 32

Seriously good job for a first model! You've clearly identified areas for self-improvement, and learned a lot during the building process, and that's a big part of the hobby - "What would I do Different / Better next time.....?"

Keep posting your builds......keep up the good work......and (most importantly) have fun!

Q

• Like 4

Very creditable Hornet, especially for a 'first painted' project!

Did you mask the wheels or do you just have a very steady hand? They look perfect. Wheels are otherwise a common stumbling block, with shaky black overpaint on the hub…

Good work, and good luck with the Hawk!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Henrick

Considering this is your first model, and the fact that you are a whole lot younger than most of us here on the forum, I think you have done exceptionally well. I too have built the Revell Superbug and it isn’t without its flaws, its a shame it doesn’t have the ECS pipes, but those mainwheel bays hold their own against the big boys like Aires & Eduard.

I’m glad that some younger people are taking the courage to post their builds on here. 

Here is my Revell Superbug from a few years back, I hope you enjoyed the kit as much as I did.

All the best

Benspacer.png

Edited by Ben Hartmann
Spelling
  • Like 1

Well done on completing your first build!

If you're looking to further your skills and improve in this hobby, may I suggest attending the basic modelling course conducted by M Workshop? They'll probably start you with an armour kit but it should give you a good foundation to work on.

https://www.facebook.com/themworkshop/

Hope to see more builds from a fellow Singaporean modeller. Keep it up!

Mark

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Did you mask the wheels or do you just have a very steady hand? They look perfect

Free handed. I just covered the entire wheel in black, used a fine brush to paint the middle white and dry brushed a bit.

8 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Here is my Revell Superbug from a few years back, I hope you enjoyed the kit as much as I did.

Yeah, I totally did. It had some weird fitting parts like the intakes and the landing gear (cement didn't help, poured a whole river of PVA and superglue with lots of stuffed Blu tack) but I enjoyed making it. Btw, are those aftermarket decals?

3 hours ago, madcat911 said:

may I suggest attending the basic modelling course conducted by M Workshop?

Seems a bit costly, especially for a young dude like me, but I'll look into it, aye.

13 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Seriously good job for a first model! You've clearly identified areas for self-improvement, and learned a lot during the building process, and that's a big part of the hobby - "What would I do Different / Better next time.....?"

Keep posting your builds......keep up the good work......and (most importantly) have fun!

Thanks!

Thank you all for your kind comments, I appreciate them a lot.

• Like 1

Nice first model and pics!

I am sure the next one will come out already more to your liking! :thumbsup:

For me personally it is a bit too dark/ weathered, but yes, they get dirty !

What will be your next one? Already decided or even started?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, exdraken said:

For me personally it is a bit too dark/ weathered, but yes, they get dirty !

Haha, I got a bit too happy with oil paints.

7 minutes ago, exdraken said:

What will be your next one? Already decided or even started?

I started my X-Wing a month or two ago, and I'm halfway through it. I'll post pics in another topic soon, and I have tried lots of new techniques on it so far:)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Henrikkoh said:

Yeah, I totally did. It had some weird fitting parts like the intakes and the landing gear (cement didn't help, poured a whole river of PVA and superglue with lots of stuffed Blu tack) but I enjoyed making it. Btw, are those aftermarket decals?

Correct Sir, it is the Afterburner Decals Superbug CAG sheet. 

I tend to use Loctite Superglue for all of my builds, even canopies (don’t forget to Varnish first) as it’s less messy and tends to speed up the build as you are not waiting on glue to set.

The intakes are tricky on this, I just gave them a blast of rattle can white and assembled them before fitting. The key is dry fit everything before you commit to glueing. 

Hope this helps

Ben

• Thanks 1

For polishing a foggy canopy I recommend using tooth paste! I had to remove some seam lines on a couple a while back and after gently scraping with a very sharp knife and gentle sanding, toothpaste on a slightly dampened cloth did the rest!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

For polishing a foggy canopy I recommend using tooth paste! I had to remove some seam lines on a couple a while back and after gently scraping with a very sharp knife and gentle sanding, toothpaste on a slightly dampened cloth did the rest!

Sounds pretty good. If only I didn't coat the scratched canopy with clear gloss 😩

12 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Correct Sir, it is the Afterburner Decals Superbug CAG sheet. 

I tend to use Loctite Superglue for all of my builds, even canopies (don’t forget to Varnish first) as it’s less messy and tends to speed up the build as you are not waiting on glue to set.

The intakes are tricky on this, I just gave them a blast of rattle can white and assembled them before fitting. The key is dry fit everything before you commit to glueing. 

Hope this helps

Ben

Thanks, that scheme looks sick!

Looking good.  Especially for a brush painted model. 

Toothpaste is basically the same stuff as model polishing compound with a  few other ingredients. Most should be suitable for use on a canopy but make sure you test it first on a spare piece of clear sprue. 

Polishing compounds are very fine abrasives so the right amount of polishing could potentially remove the clear coat. Again, test first.

Remember polishing creates friction and generates heat so if you are do it to quickly you risk cracking the canopy or other unintended consequences. So if you plan to use a dremel or rotary to keep the speed low and keep moving it constantly to insure you don't put too much heat into the same spot

• Like 1

Ah, neat. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Gidge said:

Looking good.  Especially for a brush painted model. 

Toothpaste is basically the same stuff as model polishing compound with a  few other ingredients. Most should be suitable for use on a canopy but make sure you test it first on a spare piece of clear sprue. 

Polishing compounds are very fine abrasives so the right amount of polishing could potentially remove the clear coat. Again, test first.

Remember polishing creates friction and generates heat so if you are do it to quickly you risk cracking the canopy or other unintended consequences. So if you plan to use a dremel or rotary to keep the speed low and keep moving it constantly to insure you don't put too much heat into the same spot

• Like 1

Looks good! I see what you mean about that wing, looks like a piece of the inner wing trailing edge is missing? That might be a good challenge for the future, to try fix that up with some plastic card.

• Like 1

Well done Heinrich! It takes some character to do your first model and then put it out there for everyone to see! Lots of room for improvement and it's a learning process for sure! The great thing about the BM community is that everyone is so willing to help you with their advice and experience. The main thing is to enjoy making your models too! Glad you did with this one. Personally I'm very cautious with canopy handling. I use a plastic floor polish as a final finish on mine now and seems to work! The canopy ends up looking really clean and clear. Pledge Klear is one of these products but I use one called HG laminate Protective Gloss Finish. I use this for a very thin sealing coat on my models. Hand brush it n with a wide very good quality brush.. 

Great first effort and I hope you'll post your next model here too.. the 1:72nd Hawk! 

Kind Regards,

Andy 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

Well done Heinrich! It takes some character to do your first model and then put it out there for everyone to see! Lots of room for improvement and it's a learning process for sure! The great thing about the BM community is that everyone is so willing to help you with their advice and experience. The main thing is to enjoy making your models too! Glad you did with this one. Personally I'm very cautious with canopy handling. I use a plastic floor polish as a final finish on mine now and seems to work! The canopy ends up looking really clean and clear. Pledge Klear is one of these products but I use one called HG laminate Protective Gloss Finish. I use this for a very thin sealing coat on my models. Hand brush it n with a wide very good quality brush.. 

Great first effort and I hope you'll post your BAe Hawk here too when you've finished it! 

Kind Regards,

Andy 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Well done Heinrich! It takes some character to do your first model and then put it out there for everyone to see! Lots of room for improvement and it's a learning process for sure! The great thing about the BM community is that everyone is so willing to help you with their advice and experience. The main thing is to enjoy making your models too! Glad you did with this one.

Thank you sir :)

19 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Pledge Klear is one of these products but I use one called HG laminate Protective Gloss Finish. I use this for a very thin sealing coat on my models. Hand brush it n with a wide very good quality brush.. 

Oooh, that sounds like a good replacement for Pledge since I can't find it here. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 7:40 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Welcome! Think you can get it on Amazon?

Sadly, I checked Amazon and it says unavailable. And getting it from other sources is quite expensive (not even including delivery fee). Oh well.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:58 AM, Winenut said:

I wish my first painted model looked as cool as that!

Thank you!

On 9/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, Flight Line Media said:

What's next on your workbench?

Currently? The X-Wing of course :)

After this, the Hawk.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:12 AM, kapam said:

I think you did a pretty darned good job of that.

Hope you can stick around this forum if/when you can - you'll learn a lot from modelers of all skill levels.

:clap2::clap2:

😆 👍

Regarding the canopy, this is how I deal with the seamline:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/205275-tamiya-148-f-16c-block-40-viper/&do=findComment&comment=1945217

If you can't find Future, there is a product by AK Interactive called Gauzy Agent that does the same job. You should be able to find it at M Workshop.

Mark

• Thanks 1