Chance Vought F4U-1D Corsair

Ventora3300

I'll sneak in with this one if I may, the Airfix Chance Vought F4U-1D - I think Airfix are still producing this kit with different decals but not in the delicious sea blue plastic of yesteryear! The plan will be to keep as much of that original plastic showing as poss. and do wheels up to reduce build time! I checked and I paid £7.48 for this from e-bay in 2014 when I was picking up Red Stripe kits like they were going out of style!

nLaojJr.jpg

I never built this one or any F4U when I was a kid but the informative details were always a good read for a schoolboy - still are!

KcdayIj.jpg

Locate and cement....I might even have a go at ticking off the list of kits provided. Strange to see the transfers on two sheets.

wG1GRLk.jpg

The colour scheme given is the two-tone blue with white undersides but I'm sticking to overall glossy blue. I may need to change the transfers if I can't find a good reference pic of glossy blue F4U's in service.

l9ORcTx.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

Managed to get this simple kit started - undercarriage doors went in OK but needed a bit of support from within to keep in line while the glue dried. Wings and fuselage went together well - just had to watch for the usual Airfix step in the fuselage seam. Keeping the gluey fingermarks at bay at the moment. The arrestor hook is in and working (!) and I'll paint that before closing up the tailwheel/hook doors.

03RuIq3.jpg?1

The stand and the bombs are together. This pilot is one of the early 'boy' or undersized affairs.

GRigLmx.jpg?1

Cowling is just dry fitted until the engine and prop are painted - it's a spinner! Wing seams are good - it just needed a good squeeze together while the glue was drying.

BaTkj5D.jpg?1

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Airfix 1/72 Chance Vought F4U-1D Corsair is all finished now, the pilot is in (looks very 'laid back'). The rear wheel and arrestor hook doors were a little big in width and came to a 'peak' which I sanded down and polished again.

The mounting pins for the bombs didn't match the holes in the bombs themselves so I just cut off the front pin each side and located with the rear one. The engine front cover was done in a lighter blue as I believe that's how the Pratt and Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engines were supplied.

The canopy was also a little big and needed the rear edge sanded down a bit to get it to fit all round the cockpit rim. I painted it in Humbrol 25 (Blue) which was as near as I could get to the Sea Blue, although it seems a better match for the blue on the markings (would that be Insignia Blue?). I didn't use masking and trimmed up with a cocktail stick - it may need some more work.

I touched in the navigation lights and the transfers went on a treat - how old are they? I gave the model a final coat of Satin Cote to tone down the glossiness and did the propellor and bombs with Matt. I didn't think an aerial wire was appropriate with this type of mast but I see there is one drawn in on the box art.

A few fit issues but I enjoyed building this one - lovely sea blue plastic!! Thanks again to our host @PlaStix and good luck everyone in the Poll.

Vj8DLKe.jpg

7TUuxhK.jpg

InmSr9h.jpg

OesQjmy.jpg

rWilkIg.jpg

xaGdytI.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3