8 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

nick the place I'll be gluing the yard with a very fine file

Looking at your photo, that is a similar way I use to solder metal masts and yards together. Although I use thick card into which I cut a shallow groove, into which the mast sits, so as the yard arm is flush with the mast. Your idea to nick the mast with a file is one I will definitely be using in the future, excellent idea. 
And I do like your camo scheme, so nice to see a ship with colour on it, not the usual several shades of grey.

Jon

• Like 1

Gidday Jon, and thanks. A question for you, wouldn't the card melt?

I've also cut grooves in wood to help stop rods from rolling when I have to drill holes in them, such as when I make DC throwers. The top left of the composite photo is a pin just about to pinprick the 0.75mm rod before I drill down into it. Top right shows a 0.5mm hole drilled into the 0.75mm rod.

DC thrower constr pt 1

I've considered using brass rods for masts, and probably will have to if I try rigging. I've done a trial mast quite some time ago but didn't attach yards to it, it was just a soldering exercise.

Regards, Jeff.

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

wouldn't the card melt?

I use paper card, not plastic. So not a problem, once the two pieces of brass are secured by tape, I dab on flux. I add a little bit of solder to the iron tip and then touch it to the join, the flux boils off and as it does so, it cleans the metal and draws the molten solder into the join, it is very quick and therefore hardly any heat is dissipated to the surrounding card.

I do find brass masts and yards are much better if you are going to add rigging, in my limited experience, most kit provided plastic masts are very flimsy.

Jon

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Hah, I didn't think of paper, my mind (such as it is) has a fixation on styrene. How silly of me. 🤪 Thanks. Regards, Jeff.

I did wonder when you said ‘melt’. :hmmm: But I put it down to perhaps Australian paper is different to ours on this side of the planet. 😂

Jon

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I did wonder when you said ‘melt’. :hmmm: But I put it down to perhaps Australian paper is different to ours on this side of the planet. 😂

Jon

To be fair it does get pretty hot there 😉

• Like 3