Another Spit on a Stick

This is the Airfix Spitfire FR MkXIV in 1/48.  Built straight out of the box, Tamiya paints.

It's a good kit, but not a great kit.  Definitely a lot of room for Airfix to improve to the level of Tamiya and others.  There were the fit issues documented elsewhere and good detail. That said, it's the best choice for this Mk.

It will be displayed at our museum alongside an F24 Camera, aerial photos and binocular magnifying glasses.  Will update this with photos of the display when it is done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

Lovely work, I really enjoy seeing this kit built as I'm yet to get my own.

Minor question: what happened to the mainwheels?

Ooops! I forgot to remove the masks.  There's always something you see in the pictures.   Also just noticed the pitot is not installed and the nav lights aren't painted.   Fix it tomorrow....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Excellent job Bill,.... and it will enhance the display no end. You need to do a PRU Blue Spit to display alongside it now though!! 

Yes, I wanted to do a PR XIX in blue originally but I can't find a 1/48 kit anywhere.  Thanks for the kind words!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Is the stand from the kit? Looks like the ones you get in GWH kits

You score 100% in model aircraft stand identification!  Yes it is GWH stand.  Very handy things they are. I would like to make it taller but it will do for this role.

17 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

Yes, I wanted to do a PR XIX in blue originally but I can't find a 1/48 kit anywhere.  Thanks for the kind words!

I have a feeling that Airfix may re release the 1/48th kit soon mate,....... maybe with different decals? 

• Thanks 1